girlwithgoat
The_Mad_Hatter

War

Con Tied Pro

girlwithgoat

Con

War is never neccesary. It seems to me that it just kills many people. Why can't there be a more peacful way of solving a problem other than taking out big weapons and shooting each other?

Additionally, the country that the war is at is damaged. Those citizens did not sign up to be murdered and bombed. Notice that there is never a war in America so how can we say that it doesn't matter if we have never experienced it.

Finally, I wish we could at least vote for war. It seems that the government just decides and starts boming. You may say that it is neccisay, but shouldn't the people have a say?
The_Mad_Hatter

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for this challenge and hope for a fine five round debate.

Burden of Proof on my side: War can be Necessary.
Burden of Proof for Con: War is never Necessary.

I shall first refute my opponent's points one by one.

1.) War does kill many people, however the ends justify the means. If we allowed say Hitler to take over Europe and the rest of the world then millions upon millions more would of perished.

2.) War can occur for several reasons, and usually is a last-resort. Few countries use war as a first-resort and those countries can also be justified.

3.) The same countries that are damaged can be rebuilt, case and point would be post-WWII Germany and Japan.

4.) People never sign up to be murdered, however it would happen with or without war.

5.) There have been several wars in America; Revolutionary War and War of 1812 are two examples. There are also the attacks of Pearl Harbor and 9/11. To say that America has never experienced war on the homefront would be false.

6.) We do have our say in a vote for war in our country. People do in fact have a say. How you may ask? Through our leaders who we elect and represent our ideals in Washington. If we did not want our leaders to go to war then we can simply vote them out during the next election cycle. A great example would be the number of Republicans who have been voted out of Congress for supporting the War in Iraq for the last two election cycles.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Negative Philosophy: The End Justify the Means

Now, I have refuted my opponent's points and will be making my own case.

Contention One (1): War is used to protect fundamental principles such as Human Rights

War is used many times to protect principles such as Human rights to simply exist. The greatest example of this would be the Allies victory over the Axis in WWII. Hitler could committed genocide, murder, and allowed his soldiers to destroy country after country it invaded. If not for WWII, many people's human rights would of been taken away and crushed under the shoe of Fascism.

Another example of War being used to protect or even give people back their human rights is the U.S invasion of Afghanistan. Despite the fact our original intent was to eliminate the country of Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban; the U.S. has essentially freed the Afghanistan people from the chains of a murderous Dictatorship in power. Afghanistan is well on its way to being a Democratic country in which people can use the right to vote to decide what happens in their country.

Contention Two (2): War can lead to the Resolution of Issues

War many times helps put a end to a long fought issue. A great example of this would be the Gulf War which resulted in Saddam Hussein's withdrawal from Kuwait, or once again the Second World War, which prevented fascism from taking over Europe. In these cases, the failure of action would have lead to the oppression and death of millions, and shown an aggressor triumphing over right.

Not all issues can be solved with a pen, and Pacifism (the rejection of all violence which my opponent is proposing) is an incorrect way to go about it. War, many times is the only solution on the table and therefore is necessary.

http://www.merriam-webster.com...

The merriam webster dictionary defines necessary as of an inevitable nature, logically unavoidable, that cannot be denied without contradiction and determined or produced by the previous condition of things.

Some people are simply unreasonable or to quote Michael Caine's character Alfred from The Dark Knight, "Some people just want to watch the world burn." Such men like Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Osama Bin Laden.

Contention Three (3): War can be used in the act of Self-Defense

What were the U.S. doing during WWII when they declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor? Merely an act of self-defense from opposition (in this case Japan). What would my opponent propose as a solution? Japan had already thought through their actions and decided war was the best course of action. They would of fought to death and to the last man as shown through their kamikaze attacks shown during both Pearl Harbor and WWII.

This is a good article about Kamikaze attacks:
http://www.2worldwar2.com...

Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban is the same thing. There was no reasoning with people who had already made up their minds to commit such acts. One can not shake someone's hand when they have a closed fist. This was not Osama's first attack on the U.S. for the record, so there is a history of such violence against us by his group.

To sum up:
1.) War is used to protect fundamental principles such as Human Rights. Such as Liberty, Freedom, right to exist, etc.

2.) War can lead to the Resolution of Issues. War is sometimes the only option on the table. It has led in the past to the resolution of such issues like The Gulf War and World War Two. Pacifism is the incorrect way of going about things. Some people are simply not logically and cannot be reasoned with.

3.) War can be used in the act of Self-Defense. Such examples would be the U.S declaring war on Japan after Pearl Harbor and on Osama Bin Laden and the Taliban after 9/11. If we did not defend ourselves, it would only eventually end in our death or oppression under another group of people.

Finally: Please note, I am not saying violence or killing is a good thing but as my negative philosophy states: The end justifies the means. If the end is a peaceful society in which people can co-exist and the means is war then war must be taken. War is sometimes the only option and fits the definition of necessary when it is enevitable, logically unavoidable, and/or determined by previous actions of others.
girlwithgoat

Con

girlwithgoat forfeited this round.
The_Mad_Hatter

Pro

Well folks, it seems my opponent has missed the deadline for posting her second round argument.

Since I have nothing to refute, and nothing of mine was refuted then I simply say:

Extend All Arguments.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope my opponent returns for Round #3.
girlwithgoat

Con

girlwithgoat forfeited this round.
The_Mad_Hatter

Pro

The_Mad_Hatter forfeited this round.
girlwithgoat

Con

Well done for a first debate.

A correction….when I said that America has never had a war I was meaning to say that America has never seen a war recently. Additionally, we have seen attacks yes but not wars.

Secondly, of course no one signs up to be killed. It is true that countries could attack America and we might experience war as well. I am just saying that war is definitely a bad thing for people and communities.

Some comments…

I think that there would be other ways to prevent problems.

Also, places could be rebuilt. There are still people that died.

I think that you left the debate.org program. I will not put much effort into this then.
The_Mad_Hatter

Pro

The_Mad_Hatter forfeited this round.
girlwithgoat

Con

girlwithgoat forfeited this round.
The_Mad_Hatter

Pro

The_Mad_Hatter forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Kethen 5 years ago
Kethen
girlwithgoatThe_Mad_HatterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con missed forfeits and blatantly false info without a strong rebutal
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 5 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
girlwithgoatThe_Mad_HatterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Terrible that so many forefeited. Anyway, Pro gets arguments
Vote Placed by farmboy22 8 years ago
farmboy22
girlwithgoatThe_Mad_HatterTied