Wars contribute to progress.

Wars do not contribute to progress and I am going to prove it.

At first, wars destroy buildings, statues and libraries. For example, the great Gothic cathedrals and buildings were destroyed in the 2nd World War. (1) The government buildings in York (now Toronto), the then capital of Upper Canada were also burned down by the Americans in April, 1813. The Burning of Washington in 1814 was an incident during the War of 1812. During World War II, Japanese military forces destroyed or partly destroyed numerous Chinese libraries, including libraries at the National University of Tsing Hua, Peking (lost 200,000 of 350,000 books), the University Nan-k'ai, T'ien-chin (totally destroyed, 224,000 books lost), Institute of Technology of He-pei, T'ien-chin (completely destroyed), Medical College of He-pei, Pao-ting (completely destroyed), Agricultural College of He-pei, Pao-ting (completely destroyed), University Ta Hsia, Shanghai (completely destroyed), University Kuang Hua, Shanghai (completely destroyed), National University of Hunan (completely destroyed)(2). All these arguments shows that a lot of buildings, statues and libraries were destroyed because of wars. As a result, books were burned, cultures were damaged. So, how wars can contribute progress, if all achievements and knowledge, that were reached during many years, are destroyed in one day.

Secondly, wars do not contribute progress, because it carry death of thousand people. Statistics (3) shows that, during the World War II, over 60 million people were killed, which was over 2.5% of the world population. Many people died because of diseases, poverty and starvation. That means there could not be any progress in such situations. Wars carry only destroying and death.

I'd like to thank Dinara.T for starting this debate. I'd like to clarify the definition of "progress" before we advance further into the debate. According to, the definition of progress is[1]

1. A movement toward a goal or to a further or higher stage

2.Developmental activity in science, technology, etc., especially with reference to the commercial opportunities created thereby or to the promotion of the material well being of the public through goods, techniques, or facilities created.
3.Advancement in general
4.Growth or development; continuous development.
5.the development of an individual or society in a direction considered more beneficial than and superior to the previous level

"All these arguments shows that a lot of buildings, statues and libraries were destroyed because of wars. As a result, books were burned, cultures were damaged. So, how wars can contribute progress, if all achievements and knowledge, that were reached during many years, are destroyed in one day."

The argument still doesn't prove war is unable to contribute to progress. It may prove war has the capability to hinder progress slightly, but doesn't prove that war cannot progress human interests. In most, if not all, cases, the information contained in the books destroyed in the libraries/buildings destroyed by war is still known to humans. This is because information can be contained at more than 1 library, and the advancement of the Internet contains vasts amount of knowledge every known by mankind.

"Secondly, wars do not contribute progress, because it carry death of thousand people."

Just because war contributes to human death, doesn't mean war cannot help help overall human progress. Human population isn't the only, and in my opinion isn't, way to attribute to progress.

ARGUMENTS (All information found in this section is referenced from here[2])

1. Inventions: War has directly lead to the creation of many inventions that have surely contributed to the overall progress of humans. Some of the inventions are, but not restricted to

-Aerosol Spray Can: This was invented during WW2 to help combat the rising infection rate of soldiers with Malaria by helping kill mosquitos.
-Orange Juice: This was invented during WW2 to find a nutritious drink that isn't susceptible to scurvy.
-Jeep: The beloved civilian and military vehicle was invented during WW2 to help traverse the rough terrain of enemy territory
-Penicillin: This was invented to help combat sickness/injury during WW2. Penicillin has also saved more lives than any other invention in history.
-Plastic: This was invented during WW2 for many purposes.
-Radar: This was invented during WW2 to help detect the presence of enemy aircraft.
-Satellites: These were invented during the Cold War by the US and the Soviet Union increasing their arms stock.
-Rockets: These were invented between the two World Wars for military development

Most of these inventions are used everyday by millions, and sometimes billions, of people. However, without the existence of war, none of these would be around here to use.

2. World Progress: Most Wars have also advanced the whole world in different manners. I will provide examples on how some wars contributed to overall progress.

Revolutionary: The Revolutionary War helped the United States progress as a nation by allowing the country to establish their own government, establish the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution, remove the heavy taxes placed upon them by British power, and allow them to perform free trade with other nations.[3]
Civil: The Civil War helped progress the rights of African-Americans by ending slavery and pass the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments. [4]
World War 1: World War 1 helped progress democracy by establishing 6 different democratic governments in Europe[5]

I could go on, but I'll stop there, as I think you get the point.

I will now allow my opponent to respond to my arguments, and possibly construct more of her own.

Dinara.T forfeited this round.

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited the last round. I will not post any further arguments. Con has another round to defend her position. Otherwise it will result in a full forfeit.

Dinara.T forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited both her rounds. I urge voters to vote Pro.
Posted by Ron-Paul 4 years ago
Wait, was this a one day posting period? I guess I need to look at the debate information before I accept a debate.
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago