bwilkins369
The_Joker9633

Was America created as a Christian Nation?

bwilkins369

Con

America was not established as a Christian nation. Many people say that America was a Christian nation, but these people do not know enough about the government of the United States. If America was a Christian nation, this would mean we would have a theocracy. If America was a Christian nation, we would not have the separation of church and state. Now, I do not mean to offend anyone, I would just like to see if my mindset can be changed. I do not say this as an atheist, I say this as a religious person (though I will not reveal my faith due to subjects of debates and problems it could create). I am looking forward to what happens in this debate.
The_Joker9633

Pro

When people think of America's founding and the subject of its religious background, yes, people assume it was either founded religiously or no, it was completely secular. In order to get a clear view of what is the truth, let's go back and take a look at the history.
While some of the colonies, such as Jamestown, were founded for economical reasons, others were founded on the principle of religion. Maryland was founded as a Catholic Haven, as many parts of Europe were tiring of often hypocritical Catholic ways, they had decided to cast them out of their countries. Plymouth was founded by separatists, and when combined with Massachusetts Bay Colony, which was founded by Puritans, become Massachusetts. Rhode Island was founded by Roger Williams, who was Baptist preacher, although he founded the state on the principle of religious freedom, not the Baptist branch of faith. Connecticut was founded partially on religious reasons after disagreements with another colony. Pennsylvania was a Quaker's haven. All in all, this makes up 5 of the original 13 colonies.
5 of the original 13 colonies were founded PRIMARILY on religious freedom; but technically it was 5 out of 12 as the Carolinas were founded and THEN separated into North and South. Georgia was created as a buffer between Florida and the Carolinas.
bwilkins369

Con

bwilkins369 forfeited this round.
The_Joker9633

Pro

The_Joker9633 forfeited this round.
Posted by Ignopius 3 years ago
Ignopius
Clearly, our religious founders did not intend for our government to reflect Christian principles. But that doesn't mean objectively were not a Christian nation. I mean 80% of our population is Christian so naturally we have Christian influences into our laws.