bwilkins369
theHomelessPanda

Was America established as a Christian Nation?

bwilkins369

Con

America was not established as a Christian nation. Many people say that America was a Christian nation, but these people do not know enough about the government of the United States. If America was a Christian nation, this would mean we would have a theocracy. If America was a Christian nation, we would not have the separation of church and state. Now, I do not mean to offend anyone, I would just like to see if my mindset can be changed. I do not say this as an atheist, I say this as a religious person (though I will not reveal my faith due to subjects of debates and problems it could create). I am looking forward to what happens in this debate.
theHomelessPanda

Pro

-Rebuttal:
1)You assert that " If America was a Christian Nation, we would not have the separation of Church and State".
--Yes, we were founded on values of religious freedom, and supposed secularism. These values were the result of Christians being persecuted by other Christians. So the persecuted Christians came to America to establish their own life and practice their own brand of Christianity free of state persecution. Secularism was founded so that nobody would be outright persecuted for their beliefs, it does nothing to promote religious diversity, or chip away at the monolithic Christian majority that still exists to this day.

But to this day we have not had a President that does not claim Christianity as his religion. We are a nation that is still dominated by a 78% majority of people that identify as Christians(1). The vast majority of our Politicians identify as Christian. So our government is quite obviously a Christian government, these people are likely to pander to their constituents, who are largely Christian. So quite obviously, this secular government will unintentionally act out Christian values, due to the beliefs of it's participants.

My Assertions

1) I don't need to cite a source to tell you that there is a Christian church in every city in this nation, or at least within the reach of every citizen. Christian symbols are tattooed on bodies, worn on necklaces and shirts, and commonplace across this country. This has been true since the founding of this country. Christianity is still deeply engrained into our society, and that trait is protected by our government along with all other religions.

2)Is American government a Christian Theocracy? No. That's the idea you seem to be fixated on. But this NATION is and always has been made up of people who are largely Christian.

3)Since the topic is that this nation was not Founded as a Christian Nation, I will leave you with several quotes from some of our Christian founders, that indicate the opposite.

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
-John Adams

I have sometimes thought there could not be a stronger testimony in favor of religion or against temporal enjoyments, even the most rational and manly, than for men who occupy the most honorable and gainful departments and [who] are rising in reputation and wealth, publicly to declare their unsatisfactoriness by becoming fervent advocates in the cause of Christ; and I wish you may give in your evidence in this way
-James Madison

To conclude, the lack of a State Established Creed or Religion does not indicate that we were not founded as a Christian nation. But the domination of Christianity among the people, and the continual perpetuation of Christian ideas and values indicate that we were founded as a Christian nation.

(1)http://religions.pewforum.org...
bwilkins369

Con

bwilkins369 forfeited this round.
theHomelessPanda

Pro

I like sharks
bwilkins369

Con

bwilkins369 forfeited this round.
theHomelessPanda

Pro

theHomelessPanda forfeited this round.