PatriotPerson
Occam7

Was Calvin Coolidge a good President?

PatriotPerson

Pro

I am here to defend that Mr. Coolidge was a good President. Nothing bad happened in the economy while he was President. He was not the cause nor involved in the Depression. He brought hope and belief in the Presidency, since his predecessor, Warren G. Harding, had brought shame and disbelief into the Presidency.
Occam7

Con

I accept. Please present your case.
PatriotPerson

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I have opened this debate on my stance that Calvin Coolidge was, at least, a good president. My opening defense is that Mr. Coolidge cut off the debt, a feat which few presidents have done. Coolidge let the nation belive in the presidency again, after Harding's disastrous administration. He gave us a strong sense of security, and not just in the form of homeland. He lowered both taxes and federal spending. Coolidge's plan was to do nothing when nothing had to be done, and that was an excellent strategy. Nowadays, presidents make immediate and random decisions that might endanger their reputation or their administration. He let business have it's head and that came to be known as "Coolidge luck."
Occam7

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for presenting his arguments.

Coolidge did not really diverge that much from Harding"s original policies. In fact, Coolidge kept most of Harding"s cabinet, most of who were continuing to be corrupt and scandalous.1

Nor did Harding change almost at all from Harding"s economic policies of Laissez Faire, no regulation Capitalism. However, "Coolidge"s bold economic vision of reckless investment and wild speculation on Wall Street laid the groundwork for a ruinous stock market collapse that the president promised would bring about the worst, most devastating economic crisis in U.S. history. Coolidge is nonetheless credited with bravely steering the nation out of an extended period of prosperity and firmly setting it on course for economic catastrophe."1,2

Pushing for regulation would have made the situation better, and may have averted depression, but Coolidge did the exact opposite, thereby making the depression worse and harder to control and contain.

Overall, Coolidge was not a good president.

1 http://jimmysnax.blogspot.com...
2 http://www.theonion.com...
PatriotPerson

Pro

Coolidge kept Harding's scandalous cabinet, yes, but keeping them is exactly how the debt was extremely lowered. I'd say that action was a good one, wasn't it? All that stock market collapse stuff you're talking about, that's Hoover. Hoover is one of the main reasons the great depression happened. But, Hoover came after Coolidge. Coolidge did not do anything to worsen the stock market. That was all Hoover's fault. Sure, Hoover was a horrible president. You might say he smelled like serious old poo. I would agree. But Hoover isn't Coolidge. Hoover is Hoover and Coolidge is Coolidge. Coolidge means good. You say he made the depression worse. Coolidge wasn't even president when the depression STARTED. Old poo Hoover was. Finally, I can't really trust your sources. A source called JimmySnax makes me think I'm gonna get some hokum information. Yes, hokum. In case you didn't know, hokum means nonsense. Also, you had a source called "theonion.com". I wouldn't expect correct information from a website about a bulb in the lily family.
Occam7

Con

Occam7 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

I see you have forfeited this previous round. Will you forfeit this one? I see you may have read my regards to the onion. If not, take a look in the comments and find the one by yours truly. Great debate, sir. This is something I most certainly enjoy. May the voters choose who they must.
Occam7

Con

Occam7 forfeited this round.
PatriotPerson

Pro

you have forfieted again. I guess this means I won and you have admitted defeat.
Occam7

Con

Occam7 forfeited this round.
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
Great goodness...Why did I ever post five rounds?
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
Sorry to sound so immature but DUDE REALLY?!!!??? The Onion is a fake news site that purposely posts fake articles to be funny! I mean, look at their home page! Here's some examples: "3 men deported from Saudi Arabia for being too sexy", "I've been having some pretty ----ed up thoughts about bread lately. By: Duck." Oh, and another funny one! "Romney rolls sleeves all the way up over his head." HAHAHAHA. You really need to check up on what sources you find, buddy.
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
I give coolidge props for managing to pay off a good chunk of the national debt but I would never consider him to be 'great'. He opposed giving pay raises to WWI veterans, signed an immigration act that would discriminate against southern and eastern europeans and the japanese, and increased the hell out of the estate tax while not giving a damn about child labor laws, worker safety, poor farmers, or even flood control.

Still though, paying off the debt is quite a feat, Id give him at least a B-
Posted by BennyW 3 years ago
BennyW
Right on about Coolidge but i disagree in regard to Harding. Coolidge's economic policies were carried over from Harding.
Posted by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
Ya got that right, 1Historygenius. Was he too great for someone to challenge me?
Posted by 1Historygenius 3 years ago
1Historygenius
Coolidge was great.