CodyNiskanen
Andrew556

Was Christ really crucified and raised form the dead 3 days later? If so, how?

CodyNiskanen

Pro

According to the New Testament in the Bible, Jesus who was the son of God, died on a cross and 3 days later rose again from the dead. In this debate, you will need to find incriminating evidence that Jesus was not the son of God and didn't die on a Roman cross. Good Luck
Andrew556

Con

I would like to thank CodyNiskanen for posting this debate, I am more than happy to accept.

So, I would like to make an opening statement about my position and then address what you stated in the first round argument.

Firstly, by belief system is more of an atheistic/humanist view point rather than that of a theistic one.

So, to address the argument posted by my opponent in the first round i would like to focus on the point of: was Jesus crucified on a 'Roman cross'? My opponent is correct in stating that according to the bible, Jesus died on a Roman cross as stated in Matthew 27:27-56, Mark 15:21-38, Luke 23:26-49, and John 19:16-37.

There are also several FACTUAL pieces of evidence that suggest that Jesus did die at the 'hands' (I put that in parenthesis
to emphasise that I am well aware of the fact that he didn't physically pin Jesus to the cross himself but, you understand what I mean by 'hands') of Pontius Pilate, the Roman Prefect. Most Bible scholars and historians agree that Jesus actually existed and did indeed die as a result of crucifixion by the Romans.

Now this is where we will disagree. Jesus was not resurrected 3 days later. We will address this point later on in the debate as we need to discuss the premise of this debate first.

You state that I will need to find 'incriminating evidence that Jesus was not the son of god'. This in itself is a fallacy when this point is brought up when the question is about the death and resurrection of Jesus. Whether he is the son of 'God' or not is irrelevant when debating this. Secondly, why do I need to provide proof that something DIDN'T happen. You are the person stating that you believe that Jesus WAS risen from the dead 3 days after his death. The burden of proof is not on me to prove that something didn't happen. It is up to you to prove that it did.

I'll leave it there for now. I look forward to your response. This should be a fun debate.
CodyNiskanen

Pro

Thank you for accepting my challenge. To begin, What day did Jesus die? According to WWW.Bible.com, Christ was crucified on Thursday or Passover. "And that day was the preparation, and the Sabbath (Passover Sabbath was Thursday on that week) drew on." Then His resurrection had to be seventy-two hours later at sundown. If you accept a Sunday morning resurrection then Christ stayed in the grave for three days and four nights. Not three days and three nights as Jesus said.
Andrew556

Con

I'm not 100% certain on where you are going with this?

You didn't respond to the comments and arguments I made in round 1. I think we are pretty solid on the fact that is is 'most likely' that Jesus did die by crucifixion. We clearly disagree on the fact that jesus was resurrected 3 days (or 3 days and 4 nights in your case) later.

We should debate that first so that we are both going off the same premise. I may lose this round by saying this but...I really don't understand what point you are trying to achieve by what you stated in round 2.

To continue my point: What evidence do you have (and yes the BOP is on you in this case) that Jesus was resurrected? Not one shred of evidence ever presented to the historical and scientific community has ever passed the scrutiny of peer review. Even the shroud of Turin has been dated to AD1260"1390.

Anyway, I have an inkling that this debate is going to dive off in a tangent because there was no set structure at the start and the point you made in the start of round 2 makes very little sense to the flow of the debate.

I suggest that you actually read and try to understand my argument and actually respond to it. Good luck in the rest of the debate.
CodyNiskanen

Pro

CodyNiskanen forfeited this round.
Andrew556

Con

Please consider the fact that my opponent forfeited this round. Thank you.
CodyNiskanen

Pro

CodyNiskanen forfeited this round.
Andrew556

Con

Andrew556 forfeited this round.
CodyNiskanen

Pro

CodyNiskanen forfeited this round.
Andrew556

Con

Andrew556 forfeited this round.