arcticanticsdebater
mongeese

Was George Washington A Good Military Leader?

mongeese

arcticanticsdebater

Pro

I say that Geroge Washington is a great military leader, he fought in the French and Indian War so he knew what the British tatics where. So he used those for the colonies to fight against Britian.
mongeese

Con

I thank my opponent for setting up such a hard-to-counter debate.

"I say that George Washington is a great military leader..."

For one thing, George Washington is dead. Dead people don't make very good military leaders. If we dug up George Washington right now and assigned him to Secretary of Defense, I doubt the Defense Department would be getting very much done. People don't take orders from dead guys, because dead guys don't give orders. Therefore, I say that George Washington is no longer a military leader, and therefore can't be a great military leader.

The definition of great:
9: markedly superior in character or quality
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Overall, George Washington wasn't a great military leader. In the French and Indian War, he signed a surrender statement in which he admitted to assassinating Joseph Coulon de Jumonville because he couldn't even read French. If he took his time, he could have gotten a translation, but he wanted to get home, so he rushed through things and messed up. This is not a characteristic of a great person. http://en.wikipedia.org...

In the American Revolution, George Washington did not win the war. The war was won when Horatio Gates won the Battle of Saratoga, and gained French support for the war. This foreign aid is what saved the Americans, as the French were the ones who stopped Cornwallis from escaping Yorktown by water.

The point is, George Washington is dead right now, and he isn't a great military leader.

I await my opponent's rebuttal.
arcticanticsdebater

Pro

He was still a good leader because:
Contention 1. He knew what the British stradegy was so he and his army attacked when the British were still sleeping.
Contention 2. If he wasn't a good military leader, how would he become the first president?
Contention 3. Who cares if he is dead?
mongeese

Con

"Contention 1. He knew what the British stradegy was so he and his army attacked when the British were still sleeping."
He didn't "know the British strategy". He guessed that the camp would party on Christmas, so he attacked after their party. It doesn't take a military genius to figure that out. And it doesn't take a military genius to attack a camp full of card-playing drunks in their pajamas.

"Contention 2. If he wasn't a good military leader, how would he become the first president?"
How did Obama become the forty-fourth president? He wasn't a great military leader. All he did was give speeches off of a teleprompter. It doesn't take a military genius, or even half a brain, to become the President of the United States. Obama is proof of that.

"Contention 3. Who cares if he is dead?"
I do. The dead can't be great military leaders. George Washington is no longer a military leader. He is a dead and decaying corpse in a tomb on Mount Vernon. http://news.webshots.com... Dead people don't lead armies. Is George Washington leading an army right now? No. He is not leading anyone, and he is most definitely not leading anyone in a military fashion, thus he isn't a military leader, let alone a good one, let alone a great one.

CONCLUSION: George Washington was just an ordinary military leader who got lucky. He made many careless errors, and made a few right choices. He was average, not great. More importantly, he is dead. Thus, George Washington is not a great military leader. Vote CON.
Posted by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
I won this one fairly well.

PRO gave almost no backing for any of his contentions.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Brilliant.
Posted by resolutionsmasher 8 years ago
resolutionsmasher
You know he accidently started the french and indian war?
He was given false orders to attack a french fort out in the middle of no where.
Posted by mongoose 8 years ago
mongoose
I'd actually accept if I wasn't already beating this guy in a debate already, and you can't debate the same person twice at the same time.
Posted by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
I agree with theLwerd. It isn't that Ge. Washington was a good military leader (he certainly was not a good military commander), it is the fact that anyone arguing against Washington's godlike status stands no chance at winning the vote.
Posted by Brewmaster 8 years ago
Brewmaster
Depends on your definition of a "good" military leader. Old Mr. Washington basically lost every real battle he ever fought. In the French and Indian war, he had the planning and foresight to basically set up shop in the middle of a swamp, soaking all his gunpowder and making it unusable.

On the other hand, through sheer strength of presence, he was able to hold together an army of ragtag farmers, criminals, and illiterate rabble, while also holding the immutable trust of the constantly bickering continental congress. No mean feat. As any military historian will tell you, there's more to winning a war than just fighting well.

Like I said, interesting debate. I actually almost wrote my senior thesis on this very topic. I'd probably do this if you defined your terms a bit better and gave me about a week to do some prep work.
Posted by Crack-Is-Whack 8 years ago
Crack-Is-Whack
Wow, for a minute i was going to be the Con, but then i realized i wouldnt be able to say much for my case besides "His army was very un-hygenic" And that wasn't even his fault.
George Washington was pretty awesome and there is like nobody who can say otherwise.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
Naw man. DJGW was sh*t. Mind you . . . not THE sh*t . . . but just plain, pure, unadulterated sh*t.
Posted by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
Good luck in finding someone to argue for the CON.
Vote Placed by Zapurdead 8 years ago
Zapurdead
arcticanticsdebatermongeeseTied
Vote Placed by trendem 8 years ago
trendem
arcticanticsdebatermongeeseTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
arcticanticsdebatermongeeseTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
arcticanticsdebatermongeeseTied