WilliamsP
anavives

Was Jesus a Caucasian?

WilliamsP

WilliamsP

Con

I will begin this debate with an introductory statement: Jesus was definitely not Caucasian due to:

1. The area he was born in was not the home of Caucasians
2. The people there were middle-eastern; therefore, Jesus was most likely a brown skinned man.
3. Caucasians were more common in Europe and the Americas.
4. There were some Caucasians in the Middle East, yes, but these were immigrants. And Jesus was not an immigrant.

I look forward to debating this topic with anyone who believes Jesus was a Caucasian man. I am an Atheist and I want anyone who accepts this debate to take this into consideration.
anavives

Pro

Jesus was a Caucasian. He first had to be different than normal people, he was JESUS CHRIST, the messiah, the god of son. Yes he was born in middle eastern but that doesn"t mean that he was middle eastern. His father wasn"t even middle eastern, he was god and I am not saying god was Caucasian.

He was caucasian because it was something unusual to people, do you think that if they saw him as a normal person they will follow him? no they wouldn't"t. He would be just like them. People will think that he was just an impostor.

Also, being different doesn"t mean being like an alien to people, just that he had to be like them but not be like them at the same time, that's why he had to be caucasian. It was different to people, it had to be the result of something divine, he had to be the son of god, how else could they explain his skin color.

But Jesus being caucasian doesn"t mean that caucasian people are more important or are closer to god because they have he same skin color as Jesus. It was just because he had to be different than the middle eastern people that would be with him as he lived in earth, and there is nothing wrong with believing that he was a different color, the only thing that matters is that you believe in him and have faith. Not that there is nothing wrong with being an atheist but let"s consider that making the mistakes of believing that because Jesus was caucasian it means that black, Asian, Latin, etc people are not equals to caucasian people. This is a common mistakes and in my opinion it have cause lots of trouble in the world,slavery, wars, racism, etc.

And I have to write a lot so I guess I might respond to what you said.
1. The area he was born in was not home of Caucasians.

It was but as I said before the point of him being caucasian is that he is different from others, he had to show that he was like us but at the same time he had to be different, but not in such an obvious way.

2.The people there were middle-eastern; therefore, Jesus was most likely a brown skinned man.

Like I said before, he had to be different but no too different. I think this is the most obvious point of Jesus being caucasian, he couldn't"t be like the normal people, he had to show he was the son of god and that he was just like us at the same time. Imagine how hard that is.

3. Caucasian were more common in Europe and the Americans.

That"s what I am saying they were common in Europe and the Americans not in the middle- eastern, he had to be different. Why would he want to be like the others, he is the son of god, the messiah. All your points are saying basically the same thing, just because he was born in the middle- eastern doesn"t mean he had to look like them.

4. There were some Caucasian in the Middle East, yes, but these were immigrants. And Jesus was not an immigrant.

He wasn"t and immigrant but he also wasn"t middle-eastern, he had no region, he was born in heaven and was bought to earth to cure the sick, fight for our sins all of that. So there is no point saying he isn"t caucasian, there isn"t any proof of his skin color but us have made the idea that he is caucasian by paintings. There is a reason why we have made him like this, why don"t we see Jesus with black skin and why when we see it doesn"t feel right, it feels like something is out of place.
I am not saying that I am 100% sure that he was Caucasian but it just feels like he was, I myself am not a racist person and if one day we found enough proof of what his true skin color was I"ll be ok with it because it doesn"t matter his skin color, the point of Jesus is of what he did, he fought for our sins and died because of us. We shoudn"t be wasting our time thinking of his skin color, we should think of what he did and the legacy he left behind.
But still we are here discussing his skin color. There are several sites that have discussed this topic too.
Have you ever looked at a picture or painting of a black Jesus and thought to yourself, "This just doesn"t feel right?" You ask yourself, "Is the painter joking? Is he making fun of Jesus?" The answer is yes, the artist is being sarcastic and that artist is surely burning in hell"s fire as I type this.

Jesus was white. Yes, He was born in the Middle East, but His father was not Middle Eastern, He was God. God is NOT Middle Eastern. When was the last time you saw a painting of God with a Turban wrapped around His head? Never? Exactly.

God is white. God has always been white. Every depiction, every description and every painting I have seen of God has been white. God impregnated Mary, NOT Joseph. Therefore, Jesus is white.

That is what drew people to Him in the first place. A white skinned man in the Middle East 2000 years ago was surely a miracle and Jesus was and is a miracle worker.

Now look at Heaven. Heaven is mostly made of feathery white clouds with rays of light shooting through them, which according to most Christians I know, would make the inhabitants white.

Also, white is amazingly proficient at reflecting light, which is very important when living in Heaven because it"s much closer to the sun than living on the Earth. This white skin prevents you from getting cancer in Heaven and I"m sure stops many other diseases in their tracks.

So, next time you start babbling on about how, "Jesus was Middle Eastern and couldn't"t have been white", save yourself the embarrassment and look at the Facts!

God Bless!

Although I don"t think that god is white, Jesus still had to had a skin color, would you imagine him as a transparent person.
Also I don"t think that you could get cancer in heaven, because well it is heaven it is the perfect world, its is supposed to be amazing. No diseases, no wars, no fights, no discrimination but still you see the point of why Jesus was caucasian.

I hope you like my opinion, this is my first debate. I also am kind of an atheist, I don"t believe that rituals are necessary for being a good believer. I do believe in God and Jesus.
WilliamsP

Con

Based on what you wrote, you surely are a Christian. I will not tolerate Christian propaganda and lies in my debates. God isn't real and Jesus was, yes, real, but he did not do exactly what the Bible says he did and what Christians believe he did. But, this is another topic. Because I am arguing with a Christian, I will need to take a different approach. You are surely Christian, but if you are not, you are surely a person of faith.

Before we continue the exact topic of this debate, please explain to me why you believe what you believe. That could help me make more convincing arguments.
anavives

Pro

I am a person of faith, but i am not a christian, i do believe in god and Jesus but I don't believe in the way Christians practice it. I don't believe in mass and other traditions that Christians have. I think that those are just things that some people use to show off, and believe me, I live in a town were religion is a big part but most people just use to show off. Is like when you were a kid and you wanted expensive things to show off. That's why I believe religion (not all but most of it) is just a way to make money and make others think you are a person of faith.
At one point i was an atheist but a certain event change my point of view. I now believe in the power of god but I don't believe in its rituals.
I hope I was clear enough.
WilliamsP

Con

I do not want to make you change your views and beliefs, but I urge you to consider what if there isn't a god? What if Jesus was in fact middle eastern instead of Caucasian? What if? Ask yourself that question. I urge you to take a moment of consideration of what if. I know I am repeating this question, but it is worthy of being repeated often and it is a very powerful question. What if? What if God isn't real was middle eastern? What if what you've believed for a certain part of your life is all a lie? I don't want you to change your views immediately if you must, but I would suggest a slow transition and putting care and effort into it. I don't believe God isn't real. I KNOW God isn't real. I don't believe Jesus wasn't a Caucasian. I KNOW Jesus wasn't a Caucasian. Allow me to explain why I think so:

Many thousands of years ago, when the homo sapiens first appeared, they saw, heard, and felt extraordinary things. Lightning, fire, rain, wind, everything. They were not intelligent people and therefore they came up with unfounded explanations: Gods, demons, spirits, heroes, etc. As humans become more advanced and obtained more knowledge of science, for some reason, some people remained on the side of faith. Today, we have advanced sciences that are based on FACT, but a majority of people still believe in faith that is based on OPINIONS and the hallucinations and illusions of peasants.

If God created the universe, who created God? Nothing existed before the big bang, so therefore God cannot have existed and cannot exist now. Religion is a disgrace, in my opinion. I am aware you are not a hardcore Christian, but that you are simply a person of faith. Tell me, can you imagine a being so powerful, so obligated to lead all people towards the light? A being so powerful it can create and destroy worlds at will? Imagine. Can you imagine such a being? Who has the right to such immense power? God? No. No one has the right to such power. Anyone and everyone who believes in God lives in an imaginary world; a fairy tale. There is no time for fairy tales and lies! Give me one good reason why Jesus Christ was Caucasian and God is real. Do not repeat any of the previous points please. Let's start anew. Let's make some new points.
anavives

Pro

I do agree on you with on how was god created if nothing excited before the Big Bang, but I believe in god because I have the chance to believe in something. I know that the world have evolved and that their is now proof that god doesn't exist but I choose to believe because it makes me feel safe, and if you are going to treat me like my opinion doesn't matter because I believe in god you are worst than most Christians, so please respect my opinion and don't try to change me because i respect you benign an atheist.
WilliamsP

Con

I sincerely apologize. I respect your passion about this subject. I am confident that I am correct in this debate, but I respect your opinion. :)
anavives

Pro

Thanks.
Why do you consider you are correct? The only thing you have said is that he couldn't be Caucasian because he was born in the middle eastern, which by the way is not enough proof. I could be born in japan and be black or be born in India and be Caucasian.
WilliamsP

Con

The reason I believe Jesus was a Middle Eastern person is because:

1. I am an Atheist
2. I am not taking the God approach
3. I am not a person of faith; I am a person of science; therefore, I think differently.

How about we just forfeit the next rounds? I sincerely believe in my opinions as you believe in yours. I highly doubt we are going to agree on this subject.
anavives

Pro

Well let"s see what people vote, and for comment people have said. I never approved the heaven sun part so please next time try to read.
Posted by FluffyCactus 3 years ago
FluffyCactus
Wait, what? I hope this doesn't represent all Christianity... I mean, you'd be a fool to think that Jesus was anything but a middle eastern Jew. I thought this was like, basic Christian knowledge.
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
The purpose of a debate is not to convince your opponent; it's to convince your audience.
Posted by Perlas 3 years ago
Perlas
"He was caucasian because it was something unusual to people, do you think that if they saw him as a normal person they will follow him? no they wouldn't"t. He would be just like them. People will think that he was just an impostor. Also, being different doesn"t mean being like an alien to people, just that he had to be like them but not be like them at the same time, that's why he had to be caucasian. It was different to people, it had to be the result of something divine, he had to be the son of god, how else could they explain his skin color."

Jesus proved himself, supposedly, as a son of God through his actions, whether they be miracle or hoax. His skin tone had nothing to do with his followers fascination for him. Also, why are you implying that any of the apostles wrote about his appearance as being that different to theirs? They never did, there's not mention of his physical appearance being described as Caucasian, which would be profoundly different in that area at that time, anywhere in the Bible. The messianic prophecy of Isaiah 53:2 (NIV) says of Him: "He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him." The Gospels tell us that on at least two occasions Jesus slipped away into the crowds when people were trying to kill Him (Luke 4:30; John 8:59). He was able to escape harm because He was simply an average-looking man of His day and blended in with the other people around Him.

"Jesus was white. Yes, He was born in the Middle East, but His father was not Middle Eastern, He was God. God is NOT Middle Eastern. When was the last time you saw a painting of God with a Turban wrapped around His head? Never? Exactly. God is white. God has always been white. Every depiction, every description and every painting I have seen of God has been white. God impregnated Mary, NOT Joseph. Therefore, Jesus is white."
Wow, that's offensive for no real good reason. God isn't a human, God doesn't have a race.
Posted by abelsmack 3 years ago
abelsmack
@ anavives

Sorry to get on the wrong foot. Religious topics are what interested me on this site.

This is a particularly interesting topic because it makes claims not found in the bible and so must be defended through logic and non-biblical sources. However, I feel that using opinions and sources that are easily defeated or go against your point makes your case weaker and it would be better not to bring them up at all.

Why bring up points you later have to disavow? This is a debate forum and what you say can be used against you.

From what I've read in the bible, Jesus was not anything different from his fellow Jews. He HAD to come from the line of King David to qualify as the Messiah and was at least half-Jew if not all of it. Also darker traits are dominant and the majority of the children of people with different ancestries are a blend slightly favoring the least light parent. The foreigners around then where mostly Arabians (Herod the Great), Assyrians, Egyptians, Romans, Greeks, and Lebanese all of which tan in the sun, not like Northern Europeans some of which cannot. When the Romans were looking for him he needed to be pointed out because he wasn't much different from the other men around him.

I believe that as Christianity grew in Europe people began to depict Jesus as the only people they knew, themselves. Many Europeans never saw Jews before. This happens around the world but you are NOT seeing a depiction of Jesus, it is an interpretation of him. If someone painted him wrong in the year 150 AD, how are we supposed to know it is wrong thousands of years later? They should have given him a bust like they did to ancient Romans and Greeks, this is why we know how Julius Caesar looked like even though he died in the BC.

I read this article a decade ago which made me realize that no one knows what he looked like, but smart money would be that he looked like the people he came from.

http://www.popularmechanics.com...
Posted by anavives 3 years ago
anavives
@abelsmack
Did you even read? I said that i didn't believed in the sun part,
This was just an article i found, so please before you said this things and waste your time try to read ;)
Posted by abelsmack 3 years ago
abelsmack
@ anavives

"Also, white is amazingly proficient at reflecting light, which is very important when living in Heaven because it"s much closer to the sun than living on the Earth. This white skin prevents you from getting cancer in Heaven and I"m sure stops many other diseases in their tracks."

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around some concepts in this statement, all of them really.

1. Reflecting light is important when living in Heaven?
So what are Black people going to do up there? Get lighter???

2. It's much closer to the sun than living on Earth?
Is Heaven orbiting the sun? Like I asked earlier, where is Heaven? If it is nearby Earth? We haven't seen it. Are you claiming Heaven is in the Atmosphere? Or on Mercury? Or that the sun (Sol) or a sun is there giving light?

3. This white skin prevents you from getting cancer in Heaven and I"m sure stops many other diseases in their tracks.

Does it??? So it is the reverse from here on Earth? You know the theory why people developed light skin is that they moved to areas where the sun is WEAKER and needed to absorb Vitamin D from the sun at larger quantities. People with light skin (White skin) are WAY more likely to get cancer and sun damage when they go to areas where the sun is stronger here on Earth. White skin PREVENTS cancer in Heaven? WOW!

Another point is that if Jesus was white he would probably occasionally get sunburned in the Middle East. That is close to the TROPIC OF CANCER: (Modern Israel gets as much sun as Miami) http://upload.wikimedia.org...

If you are White go to Miami and spent ONE day a the beach without sunblock (not available in biblical times) and report back to me how amazingly proficient at reflecting light your White skin is.

Hint: http://www.cdc.gov...
Posted by anavives 3 years ago
anavives
I said that i didn't believe the sun part, I just used it too show some opinions so please read well
Posted by abelsmack 3 years ago
abelsmack
Where to start, where to start?

First what is a Caucasian? http://en.wikipedia.org...
Pleas note: Caucasian race (also Caucasoid)[1] is the general physical type of some or all of the populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, Western, Central and South Asia.[2] The term was used in biological anthropology for many people from these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone.[3]

2000 Years ago there were no Caucasians in N. America, There have been Blacks or Africans in N. America just as long as the Caucasians modern Whites descend from so why is this even being brought up? Do you both think there was anything but Indians here before Columbus?

Jesus, if he existed, would be a Jew. Who are brown skinned Caucasians. They do exist. Hindus, Iranians, Moroccans, and Jews ARE Caucasians. Some Italians and Greeks, Turks, Armenians and on and on can have pretty tanned skin.

God is only depicted as White.

This is because the MAJORITY of Middle East people rejected Jesus as a savior. The Greeks and then Romans adopted Christianity and took it from a cult to an organized religion we know today. They depict Jesus and God in their own image. I think Jesus didn't exist or was little known when alive. There is no biblical mention on what his appearance was. People made it up later on.

Different cultures have different depictions of Jesus usually resembling the common population, e.g. Black Jesus and Jesus with darker hues in Latin America. This can also be seen as the "Brown Virgin" seen in Latin America.

What does white skin have to do with being close to the sun?

Heaven is closer to the sun? you believe that heaven is in our solar system? There is a difference between White and Peach colored skin. When people say "he is White" they mean he is pale or he is of European descent even if he has a tan. MOST Caucasians have tans simply because India alone has a BILLION Caucasian who are usually quite tanned. Jesus was
Posted by WilliamsP 3 years ago
WilliamsP
I accidentally erased part of my argument. I originally wrote "What if God isn't real and Jesus was middle eastern?"

I apologize for that.
Vote Placed by abelsmack 3 years ago
abelsmack
WilliamsPanavivesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good debate topic. I would like to see this debated further with stronger arguments. Con was a bit curt so I have to award PRO a point for conduct. Honestly this wasn't settled but I think Con made the better case.
Vote Placed by 00r3d 3 years ago
00r3d
WilliamsPanavivesTied
Reasons for voting decision: So... what happened.
Vote Placed by jamccartney 3 years ago
jamccartney
WilliamsPanavivesTied
Reasons for voting decision: This is an interesting debate. Pro made some longer statements, but Con made some powerful arguments. One thing Con did do, though, was get off topic and insult Pro. Although he did not mean it, it still happened, so I took that into consideration.