Kalemac01
OmarKhaled98

Was Jesus the true son of God or just a crazy man?

OmarKhaled98 has forfeited round #2.

Kalemac01

Pro

I would like to say that I am a Christian so I will be a little biased on this topic. However, I do love hearing other people's opinion. The first round will be for acceptance and questions about the debate.
OmarKhaled98

Con

Hey, as a Muslim I have a different point of view, I believe that Jesus was/is neither a crazy man or son of god, I believe that he is a messenger of god and that he isnt dead. I believe that he will return one day and prove that the modern christianity is false. I would like this debate to be a clean debate without fighting/cursing/etc. I respect your opinion. I think this debate will be more about if Jesus is a messenger or son of god.
Kalemac01

Pro

I agree, I should have worded the question differently, thank you to those who commented. I also agree with your terms of not fighting.

To begin my argument I would like to mention prophecies before Jesus was born. There are many examples of prophecies in my bibles old testament talking about specific details about Jesus' birth, these prophecies were made thousands of years before Jesus was born. Some examples of these prophecies are Isaiah 7:14 which talks about the virgin birth. Another is Micah 5:2 which says he would be born in Bethlehem (If you would like to see more examples visit the link below). Both of these and many other prophecies were fulfilled throughout the bible. It isn't a coincidence that Jesus fulfilled these prophecies either, in fact a scientist did the math and said that the probability that a man would fulfil only 48 of the prophecies would be 1in 10 with an exponent of 157. God wouldn't send a "messenger" to fulfil all of the prophecies made previously.

Another point to my argument is that Jesus said he was the son of God, usually he didn't say it directly but in a metaphor, he usually spoke in this way. An example is when he said "I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." Another example is when he said "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me," (more examples are in the link below). Obviously, he didn't believe he was a simple messenger, but the actual "way to heaven."

My next point is about Jesus' death. Because you are a Muslim, I assume you don't believe that Jesus died on the cross because you don't believe God would do that to a messenger. Correct me if I'm wrong if got your beliefs wrong, I did some light research to better understand your side, but my information might be false. However there is proof that Jesus did die on the cross. There are many biblical accounts of his death, but I'm going to focus on historical evidence. First I will talk about Jewish sources, these sources were scholars and did not believe Jesus was the son of God. Writers of the Talmud, a Jewish book, documented Jesus' death. Another person named Ulla also documented his death. There are also Roman sources of Jesus' death. Cornelius Tacitus in his Annals said "Christos ... was executed at the hands of the procurator Pontius Pilate."

My last point is that yes, Jesus was a messenger for God, but he was THE messenger and THE son of God. What sets him apart from the other messengers (or prophets) of God is that he is alive. He physically died and then rose from the dead, the proof can be seen above. Other than Elijah, which is still a debate within the Christian society about his ascension to heaven, all the other prophets physically died. I would also like to mention Jesus' difference from Mohammad. Mohammad died in 632CE, this was the agreed year. Mohammad's difference from Jesus is that he was never raised from the dead, Jesus was. There is proof that Jesus was raised from the dead because after Jesus' tomb was found empty the Jewish leaders, who had Jesus' killed said the tomb was empty and that the disciples didn't steal the body (which is a common theory for none believers). Another piece of evidence is that the guards said they "fell asleep." It wouldn't matter if they were asleep because they would most likely be very close to the tomb and would have heard the disciples rolling the very heavy stone, which they didn't do. The last piece of evidence is what was on the tomb. Romans liked to be feared and they would do this by putting seals on things that they didn't want messed with. The Romans would have sealed the tomb with wax and stamped the wax with the Roman seal. This means that if someone opens this tomb they will be an enemy of the Roman empire, which people would not like. However, my God doesn't really care about human empires so he basically said screw you and opened it anyway.

I hope this first argument was sufficient and good luck!
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
I am the true son of god..But I would have to create a god....
Posted by Kalemac01 9 months ago
Kalemac01
I completely forgot to site my sources, here they are for the second round.
http://www.desiringgod.org...
http://www.answering-islam.org...
http://www.bible.ca...
Posted by emotioncloudsjudgement 9 months ago
emotioncloudsjudgement
That's assuming he even existed in the first place.
Posted by micellio 9 months ago
micellio
We are all children of god so yes Jesus was a son of god. The question should be was he the true messiah or just a highly moral individual who was willing to sacrifice his life for the greater good.
Posted by MagicAintReal 9 months ago
MagicAintReal
Yeah I'm with sboss18, this resolution is a false dichotomy such that Jesus could both be just a crazy man and the true son of god.
Posted by sboss18 9 months ago
sboss18
What if he think he was neither the son of God nor a crazy man? What if we think he was just a normal dude?