gbellezza
BangBang-Coconut

Was Lance Armstrong the best athlete in the world in his prime?

BangBang-Coconut
Started: 3/8/2011 Category: Sports

gbellezza

Pro

During Lance Armstrong's prime of his athletic career, I believe he was the best athlete in the world. For him to maintain his chokehold on Tour de France victories for as long as he did, he had to be in top physical shape. For him to do it as long as he did was one of the biggest accomplishments in our modern era when it comes to sports.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

First off all, when we use the term "Best Athlete" what exactly is the scale or weighing mechanism we choose to use? Who do we consider an Athlete, and how do you compare different athletes from different sports?

Because of questions such as this we must vote con in such as debate as this.
There is just no way to know who is truly the best when it comes to something like being an athlete, especially since my opponent gives us no way to measure something like this.

Now going on to my opponent's arguments, he claims he had to be the best or him to have maintained a choke-hold on the Tour de France for so long. However must we really lower ourselves to such a level that the quality of an athlete is based on their performance and not their passion?

Absolutely not! Instead Passion is much more important, but just like when it comes to weighing athletes, we cannot weight passion. For all we know that title belongs to one who may lie in obscurity.

For all of these reasons, please vote Con
gbellezza

Pro

Athlete as defined by Merriam-Webster's dictionary -: a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

Based on this definition we can conclude Lance Armstrong is indeed an athlete. When i said the best athlete in the world, i meant that while he was at his peak he was the best at what he did. Although it is broad being as there are so many athletes in the world, you cannot argue that based on the definition he was indeed an athlete and indeed one of the best in the world when you look at his track record.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

I will consede to my opponent's definition of athlete, this only proves my point. Also I never questioned whether or not he was an athlete, that would be absurd. I said that there was no way to consider him the best we have no weighing mechanism to know How he was the best; or what he was the best at. Of course I understand my opponent indicated Bicycling since that was the sport Lance Armstrong did, but what about it made him the best?

As for my opponent talking about what he actually "meant" to say, ignore this. He did not frame this at the beginning, and it would be impossible to start as debate such as this now (note the 1000 character limit)

Finally my opponent did not adress my argument about not being able to weigh passion.

Therefore in closing, I urge you- you must vote for the Con in this debate! refer back to my first speech, as these are my voters.
gbellezza

Pro

I am aware that i did not frame that in the argument in the beginning, it was a rookie mistake. I am new to this whole debating thing and still am trying to get the hang of it.

But who can you say has been more impressive athletically over a period of time like Lance Armstrong was. Not only did he endure some of the most grueling events, but did so after fighting for his life. It is hard to conceive another athlete who was more impressive over his time.
BangBang-Coconut

Con

First of all, my opponent dropped all prior claims and now the only thing standing for him is his statement that Lance Armstrong was the best athlete because of all he had to overcome.

This is not a true claim either. What about Glenn Cunningham, Peter Grey, Jim Abbot or Natalie Du Toit? Overcoming obstacles to become an athlete does not make some-one great, it simply makes them a true athlete.
It is passion (which my opponent has still not addressed) that makes some-one a great athlete.

I would now like to extend my prior extensions; and ask for a Con vote :3
Thank you to my opponent for the debate, and to every-one who reads this!
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
gbellezzaBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spelling: speaks for itself
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
gbellezzaBangBang-CoconutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro simply asserted and needed to clearly define, support and argue for a metric for best.