rbyrne95
kbui94

Was Medea responsible for her actions

rbyrne95

Con

1.According to Aristotle, Anger is A reaction to "a slighting intended with the pleasure of fantasy of revenge."

2.Revenge- to punish someone for wronging you.

3.In order for a person to be responsible that person must be able to think clearly.

4.Emotions can cloud a person"s judgment, and prevent them from thinking clearly.

5.Pressure from outside sources can also make a person make decisions that they would not have made otherwise.

6.Medea states, "-anger is master of my plans". Anger is an emotion that clouds judgment and makes people think and act irrationally.

7.Medea is going to be sacrificed by her enemies; her enemies are clearly an outside source getting in the way of her decisions.

8.On top of that Medea says that she does not want to let her enemies go unpunished, indicating hat she is thinking about them, while making this decision.

9.Medea keeps flipping back and fourth on whether she is going through with her plan or not, showing that she does not have clarity over her decisions.

10. Therefore, Because Medea"s emotions, and the pressure from outside sources keep getting in the way of her decisions; she is not responsible for her actions.

Non-Controversial premises
Premises 1,2,3,4,5, and 7
Premise 1 Is just with the definition of anger. Premise 2 is just with the definition of revenge 3 is just a follow up about one of the necessary conditions for responsibility. Premise 4 is a statement on how emotions can cloud one"s decision making. Premise 5 is a statement on peer pressure, and how it can make people do things they would not normally do. Premise 7 states is a statement on what Medea's situation is, and how her enemies are getting in her way.

Controversial premises
Premises 6, 8, and 9

Premise 6 states that Medea"s anger is definitely getting in the way of her decisions, if you believe they it is not as big of a factor in the situation, this can be argued.

Premise 8 states that her enemies are getting in the way of her thinking rationally; while peer pressure can be a factor in irrational decision making, whether her enemies are definitely getting in the way of her decision, is not said for certain.

Premise 9 states that Medea cannot make up her mind, but this could be seen as her trying to think about both sides of her decision thoroughly before acting.
kbui94

Pro

1. Yes, I agree with this because it is Aristotle"s definition of anger.

2. I agree because this is a definition of revenge.

3. I agree

4. I agree

5. I disagree because although pressure outside sources can influence the decisions doesn't make the person unaware of their actions.

6. I disagree because one would have to give into anger in order to be clouded by one"s judgment and act upon the emotions.

7. I disagree because Medea is aware of the fact that she is going to be sacrificed by her enemies but it doesn't mean that it gets in the way of her decisions.

8. I agree with this because she has decisions based on the emotions of anger and revenge.

9. I disagree because she is only thinking out of her love for her children but due to the fact of the abandonment of her husband she thinks two different ways.

10. Therefore, Medea is responsible for her actions because she is aware of the emotions being expressed and acts upon it.

Non- Controversial: 1,2,3,4,8

Premise 1 is a definition of anger. Premise 2 is a definition of revenge. Premise 3 are the factors that are incorporated in being responsible. Premise 4 talks about how emotions can cloud one"s judgment. Premise 8 is thinking of her enemies while making a decision.

Controversial: 5,6,7,9

Premise 5 is how pressure can affect a decision but doesn't affect the action. Premise 6 is one has to give into anger to be clouded by judgment. Premise 7 is that Medea is aware of what is around but that doesn't affect her decisions. Premise 9 is about how her mind is split into two types of decisions based on a series of events.
rbyrne95

Con

5. Just because a person is aware of the decision he or she makes, does not mean that that decision was made with a sound mind and judgment.

6. Who is to say that Medea did not give into her anger?

7. Her decision is clearly influenced by her enemies, she says that she does not want her enemies to go unpunished, which is indication that they did have something to do with her ultimate decision.

9. Her flipping back and fourth shows how indecisive the situation with her husband has made her, and if her husbands actions are making her think a certain way, is it not safe to say that he has some sort of influence on her choice?
kbui94

Pro

5. Even though the decision may have been made with out a sound mind and judgment doesn"t mean that the person isn"t responsible for what he or she does.

6. I agree that she does give into her anger but she also waxes and wanes on her decisions as if she can"t make a choice

7. Although, there is some indication that her enemies should go unpunished, it doesn"t mean that she acts out with an irrational mind.

9. Even though he had some influence on the matter it doesn"t mean that her decisions were completely based off of her anger and vengeance.
rbyrne95

Con

5. As we both agreed upon, in order for a person to be responsible they must be thinking clearly. If Medea was not thinking clearly, than it was due to outside forces infecting her judgment, she did not make the decision by herself; therefore she is not responsible for it.

6. I agree she cannot make a choice, due to her anger being uncontrollable in it"s current state. She also cannot make a choice, because the situation she is in has prevented her from having one clear option.

7. No her uncontrollable anger, her general indecisive take on the situation, and the pressure from her enemies; make her act with an irrational mind.

8. Maybe they weren"t the only factors on the choice, but she states that anger is the master of her plans, and that she cannot let her enemies go unpunished, so they must play a decent role in the situation.
kbui94

Pro

5. But even though she did not make the decision herself, she was aware of the consequences and the decisions that were to be made, so therefore she would be responsible for her actions.

6. I agree

7. I agree but even so in the current situation, her so called irrational wouldn"t be irrational if she was able to think about the consequences.

9. Even though she does say that anger is the master of her plans, and she wants her enemies to go unpunished, and they play some role in the situation doesn"t mean that it was the anger that caused her to act out on them.
rbyrne95

Con

1. According to Aristotle, Anger is "A reaction to a slighting intended with the pleasure of fantasy of revenge."

2. Revenge- to punish someone for wronging you.

3. In order for a person to be responsible, that person must be able to think clearly.

4. Emotions can cloud a person"s judgment and prevent them from thinking clearly.

5. If the actions of another lead a person to a conclusion they would not have come to otherwise, than that person cannot be considered responsible for that decision.

6. Anger has greatly infected Medea"s mind, making it hard for her to make a choice, and making her judgment unclear.

7. Medea"s current situation, has put her under a lot of pressure, and prevented her from thinking rationally.

8. On top of that Medea says that she does not want to let her enemies go unpunished, indicating hat she is thinking about them while making this decision.

9. While there may not be one single factor, the combination of things happening to Medea, have caused her to have trouble making a decision.

10. Therefore, while we both agree that she has given into her anger, and she is indecisive. Medea is ultimately not responsible for her actions; due to her anger clouding her judgment, and the pressure from outside sources making it almost impossible to pick the right choice in this situation.
kbui94

Pro

1. Yes, I still agree with this because it is Aristotle"s definition of anger.

2. I still agree because this is a definition of revenge.

3. I still agree

4. I still agree

5. I still disagree because although pressure outside sources can influence the decisions doesn"t make the person unaware of their actions.

6. I have agreed to the current situation because of points being proven.

7. I still disagree because Medea is aware of the fact that she is going to be sacrificed by her enemies but it doesn"t mean that it gets in the way of her decisions.

9. I still disagree because she is only thinking out of her love for her children but due to the fact of the abandonment of her husband she thinks two different ways.

10. Therefore, I still think Medea is responsible for her actions because she is aware of the emotions being expressed and acts upon it.