RichakaBullet
hunnydew

Was elvis presley really racist?

hunnydew

RichakaBullet

Con

Whoever wants to challenge me on this topic well good luck to you.
hunnydew

Pro

I will attempt to go though with this I never meant to actually accept this debate. my friend was playing with my account.
RichakaBullet

Con

hey thats ok. its a fact that he was socially related to being racist cause he sang a song that was part of the black music back then. My information is found at http://en.wikipedia.org...
but it states:

A journalist with the national African American weekly Jet, Louie Robinson, pursued the story. On the set of Jailhouse Rock, Presley granted him an interview, though he was no longer dealing with the mainstream press. He denied making such a statement or holding in any way to its racist view. Robinson found no evidence that the remark had ever been made, and on the contrary elicited testimony from many individuals indicating that Presley was anything but racist.[36][307] Blues singer Ivory Joe Hunter, who had heard the rumor before he visited Graceland one evening, reported of Presley, "He showed me every courtesy, and I think he's one of the greatest."[308] Though the rumored remark was wholly discredited at the time, it was still being used against Presley decades later.[309] The identification of Presley with racism—either personally or symbolically—was expressed most famously in the lyrics of the 1989 rap hit "Fight the Power", by Public Enemy.
The persistence of such attitudes was fueled by resentment over the fact that Presley, whose musical and visual performance idiom owed much to African American sources, achieved the cultural acknowledgment and commercial success largely denied his black peers.[307] Into the 21st century, the notion that Presley had "stolen" black music still found adherents.[309][310] Notable among African American entertainers expressly rejecting this view was Jackie Wilson, who argued, "A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact, almost every black solo entertainer copied his stage mannerisms from Elvis."[311] And throughout his career, Presley plainly acknowledged his debt. Addressing his '68 Comeback Special audience, he said, "Rock 'n' roll music is basically gospel or rhythm and blues, or it sprang from that. People have been adding to it, adding instruments to it, experimenting with it, but it all boils down to [that]." Nine years earlier, he had said, "Rock 'n' roll has been around for many years. It used to be called rhythm and blues."
hunnydew

Pro

I would first like to thank my opponent for understanding the situation.

I would like to state that Wikipedia is in my opinion is not a very reliable source.
1.A. To my knowledge Louie Robinson was not an official reporter. He was a famous song writer that wished to cover the Elvis news.
B. I think he may have been one of his friends and may have not looked into the whole story.
C. It would be vary overuse that he would have denied such a quote. Who wouldn't't?
Let's take an example of a celebrity denying what wrong things they have done: Lindsay Lohan pleaded not guilty for stealing a $2,500 necklace when to most people that it was obvious, But due to her fame the judge only said "don't push you luck". Same case with Elvis.
http://www.reuters.com....
http://www.louisrobinson.com...

2.Again Just another celebrity friend that on his side, and does not wish to see him in jail. Ivory Joe Hunter quote is just proves that he is a close friend in the music industry. He did business with the guy, he was most likely afraid that Elvis would no longer be supported by him because the fact that he was black and he was white. Ivory did not want to deal with the truth. He couldn't't let people Know the truth.
http://photos.elvispresley.com.au...

noun
[mass noun]
3.Racism the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races: theories of racism
That could mean that one personal race is better or worse than the other. Racism is personal to most people. Most of the black people at Auburn U hate that guy because they see though what the celebs say and listen to the people.
http://oxforddictionaries.com...
4.Resolution
A.The reporter was not an actual reporter and may not have deeply looked into it.
B.Ivory Joe Hunter had large business with him. He simply wonted to not let that real problem get in the way.
C.Racism was a personal opinion about another race, saying that it is not equal to the other race.
RichakaBullet

Con

yes that is true but that part is able to be changed.
hunnydew

Pro

I see that he has not actually refuted my argument as I did my best at refuting his.

"Yes that is true but that part is able to be changed"
1) What part exactly do you mean?

2) You should have told me how it could have been changed.

Thank you for this debate best of luck. :)
Conclusion.
Vote pro
Posted by Anayansi 5 years ago
Anayansi
Hunny, you did a good job. What happened Richard? You started great.
Posted by hunnydew 5 years ago
hunnydew
IM so sary i did not wont to join this debate. My littel sis was playing with my laptop.
but i will go though with this, because i will not just give up on something,
Posted by RichakaBullet 5 years ago
RichakaBullet
Its a fact that the real Aaron Elvis Presley was not i repeat WAS NOT RACIST.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
RichakaBullethunnydewTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con failed to refute or defend any of the cases presented by both sides.
Vote Placed by Mak-zie 5 years ago
Mak-zie
RichakaBullethunnydewTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con: Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Pro's arguments were easily better. I give conduct to Con, as Pro openly admitted they did not mean to take the debate.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
RichakaBullethunnydewTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden to prove Presley was racist. since that's a severe criticism, the proof ought to be "beyond a reasonable doubt." Pro only argued that exculpatory evidence might not be true; that's not enough to affirm the charges. If Presley really was racist, there should be tons of evidence of that; Presley was a celeb ripe for scandal mongering.
Vote Placed by TheBrorator 5 years ago
TheBrorator
RichakaBullethunnydewTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro, Con was, well, an ass in the first round. S/G to Pro, Con needs to learn capitalization and where to use apostrophes. Args to Pro, just... yeah, no explanation needed. Sources were tie, I didn't check.
Vote Placed by Greyparrot 5 years ago
Greyparrot
RichakaBullethunnydewTied
Reasons for voting decision: Looks like Pro did not need any good luck after all...
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
RichakaBullethunnydewTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro dropped pros case at the end... He didn't refute it as all, pro won.
Vote Placed by Yep 5 years ago
Yep
RichakaBullethunnydewTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources easily to pro, Pro wins round based on case. Cons BOP is to refute pro and present case. Because Pros entire case stands from a faulty refutation by con, pro wins. Simple as that.