jlove2live
TalkForLife

Was the US founded as a christian nation?

jlove2live

Con

I am arguing that, against popular belief, the United States was not founded on any religious beliefs.
TalkForLife

Pro

I disagree. In God we trust?
jlove2live

Con

When I say that I am arguing against popular opinion/belief I'm referring to the argument preachers normally use. I have three main points to argue against America being founded on Christian Values. First would be that the founding fathers themselves were not, for the most part Christian. Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Thomas Paine (called 'the father of the American Revolution'), Ethan Allen, James Monroe, and James Madison were all in fact Deist. A Deist believes someone put in all in motion (the cosmos) but took no interest in human affairs. This is very different from an intervening, caring god of the Christian faith. Thomas Jefferson while living at Monticello actually rewrote the Bible to his liking, taking out most of the Old Testament and wrote the Virginia Statute (that would be the separation of church and state). The second point would be the first ever treaty signed by a president on behalf of the U.S., the Treaty of Tripoli. An excerpt
'As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,"as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],"and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries' this was signed into law June 7th 1797 and took effect June 10th of that same year.
My final argument would go to the statement 'In God we Trust'. The motto was added to coin in 1861, by the Union, to show in part, that God was on their side of the Civil War. The motto was also only added to paper money in 1956, mostly to diversify us from the Soviet Union (the cold war had started and the Soviets were officially atheist), 'Under God' was also added to the Pledge of Allegiance around the same time (52'). Please use your round to state why you believe the US to be founded on Christian beliefs, not to refute my claims (that's round three).
TalkForLife

Pro

America was founded on three documents: The Declaration of Independence; The Paris Peace Treaty of 1783, and the Constitution. These documents give conclusive proof that America is a Christian nation.

The Declaration has many references to God throughout the document. The most famous one is that men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.
"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"

Laws of Nature and of Nature"s God"
Appealing to the Supreme Judge of the World"
With a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence"

The body of the Constitution makes no reference to God. The Constitution honors the Christian Sabbath. The President was given 10 days to sign a bill into law. The counting of the 10 days does not include the Sabbath. This is found in Article 1, Section 7, and Clause 2 which in part follows:

"If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law,"

When the Constitution was completed on September 17, 1787, it was signed by the delegates then to be ratified by the states. The delegates signed the Constitution in the "Year of our Lord." This is a direct reference to Christianity. This is found in Article 7 which in part follows:
"Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names, GO WASHINGTON"President. and deputy from Virginia"

The Paris Peace Treaty was the document which formally ended the Revolution and granted the United States independence from Great Britain. In a real sense, the United States formally became a nation on September 3, 1783.

When the United States became a nation, it was done in the "name of the most holy and undivided Trinity." The preamble to this Treat states it is based upon the "Holy and undivided Trinity." The concept of the holy Trinity is unique to Christianity. This statement means the United States was founded on the Christian faith. The complete Preamble follows:

"In the name of the most holy and undivided Trinity"

The Treaty then ends just like the Constitution with a statement it is being signed in the "Year of our Lord." The witnesses representing the United States were John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, John Jay and D. Hartley. The section in part follows:
"In witness whereof we the undersigned, their ministers plenipotentiary, have in their name and in virtue of our full powers, signed with our hands the present definitive treaty and caused the seals of our arms to be affixed thereto.Done at Paris, this third day of September in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and eighty-three"

D. HARTLEY
JOHN ADAMS
B. FRANKLIN
JOHN JAY

When this concept is applied to the Declaration of Independence, it is clear the reference to "All men are created equal," was about the holy Trinity. The people of the United States are endowed by their Creator, the holy Trinity, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

-ICFC Proof that the US was founded as a Christian Nation

"for the sole use of Christian Indians and the Moravian Brethren Missionaries for the civilizing of the Indians and promoting Christianity" - Jefferson

"to cause the knowledge of Christianity to spread all over the Earth" - US Congress

I look forward to your reply!
jlove2live

Con

jlove2live forfeited this round.
TalkForLife

Pro

TalkForLife forfeited this round.
jlove2live

Con

jlove2live forfeited this round.
TalkForLife

Pro

TalkForLife forfeited this round.
jlove2live

Con

jlove2live forfeited this round.
TalkForLife

Pro

TalkForLife forfeited this round.
Posted by TalkForLife 2 years ago
TalkForLife
Sorry I did not include this! Why would God be on the side of the US if they truly DIDN'T trust in Him?
Posted by jlove2live 2 years ago
jlove2live
TalkForLife

Sorry I was so late with my argument, life caught up to me for a moment.
Posted by jlove2live 2 years ago
jlove2live
MitchV

I hope I can show otherwise, please keep an open mind and let me me know if I slip.
Posted by MitchV 2 years ago
MitchV
Sorry Jlove, it hurts me to say this as an atheist American but the evidence points to it being founded as a Christian Nation. The point the country was founded when the Declaration of Independence was signed. There are words and phrases in the Declaration that define it as being representative of a christian nation. "the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God" seeing that God is capitalized, it is meant as a proper name or earned title such as King. If it had been any god, then it would be lower case. To most Christians, they address their god as God or the lord God. It also says "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator" Though by saying we are created does not necessarily mean by God or a god, but saying "endowed by their Creator" does. At the time, most if not all of the people involved where Christian so obviously the god they are talking about is the Christian god. Seeing that many of the Christians came here wanted the choice of what denomination to follow, the added the first amendment to the constitution to make laws non-religious or in a way, atheist. But even though the first amendment negates power of religion, the country was founded as a Christian nation.