PandaTime
Skepsikyma

Was the Virgin Mary and actual virgin?

PandaTime has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

PandaTime

Con

I believe the Virgin Mary was not a virgin and would like to argue with someone who believes she was.

Round 1: Accepting the challenge and opening statement
Round 2: Main argument
Round 3: Rebuttal
Round 4: Closing

Please don't accept this challenge if your argument will consist of Bible quotes because I don't believe in that text or faith.

I believe the Virgin Mary was not a virgin. By definition, she couldn't have been a virgin because in order to get pregnant, you must have sex and thus, lose your virginity. Even if God did impregnate her, she still would have lost her virginity to God. In addition, it is more likely that she had sex outside of marriage and got pregnant from it, then lied and convinced others that her son was a child of God. At the time, sex outside of marriage was an unspeakable act as shown by the many statements about it in the Bible.

Good luck on this debate!
Skepsikyma

Pro

I accept this debate.

I will be arguing that the Virgin Birth was a miraculous event.
Posted by philochristos 11 months ago
philochristos
". . . because I don't believe in that text or faith."

". . .as shown by the many statements about it in the Bible."
Posted by jakabus 1 year ago
jakabus
I heard from someone that back in that day they didn't have words for a girl younger then 13 or 14 whom gave birth. So they still considered her to be a virgin. Then when they translated it from one language to another they went nuts about a miraculous birth. Its something that has been lost through translation or mistranslation.
Posted by WhyAbhorReality 1 year ago
WhyAbhorReality
"Born of a virgin"

I keep getting the ending scene from ace ventura 2 in my head when I hear this argument. "They can tell that?"

Until conception. The argument is null. Only through misinterpretation leading to myth did the notion come around that Jesus was miraculously conceived.

https://bible.org...

I find that interesting reading. Many would consider this blasphemous for even considering but could it not be, in a court of law, that it could be argued Mary had either slept with Joseph out of wedlock in some steamy passionate affair, more dangerously, slept with or worse involving another male and that Joseph had chose not to have her killed out of forgiveness/love?
It could also be argued that the whole story could have just been a construct of later groups in history and the original tales aren't anything like what we hear now, that is the theory that has the most credibility.