Was the ancient Hebrews' god anthropomorphised volcanic activity?

Was the ancient Hebrews' god anthropomorphised volcanic activity? Did they leave Egypt to worship a volcano, Mount Sinai, falsely believing it was a deity?

The Judeo-Christian God is an omnipotent, formless one. [] If they worshipped Mount Sinai as a God, it would be a volcano God. The resolution is negated.

YOU SAID 'The Judeo-Christian God is an omnipotent, formless one. [] If they worshipped Mount Sinai as a God, it would be a volcano God.'

The question was regarding the ancient Hebrews' god, which was not omnipotent nor was it formless. The ancient Hebrews had to leave Egypt in order to worship their deity, they had to walk towards a 'pillar of smoke by day and a pillar of fire by night' to get to it and they only laid eyes on it properly when they were standing at the base of it.

Exodus 9:1 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh and say to him, 'This is what the LORD, the God of the Hebrews, says: "Let my people go, so that they may worship me."

(They were unable to worship him in Egypt....they had to leave 'so they may worship'.

Exodus 3:12 "when you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain."

(The worshipping of Yahweh was site specific.....on the mountain.)

Exodus 13:21 And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:

(The mountain...volcano.....was erupting and looked like a pillar of smoke by day and a pillar of smoke by night. This fixed thing on the horizan acted like a guide as the Hebrews meandered around to it.)

Exodus 19:2 and Israel camped there in the desert in front of the mountain.

Exodus 19:3 Then Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him from the mountain

(It is not possible to 'go up to' an omnipresent god. God was on the top of the mountain....the lava top, which inspired the term 'the glory of god'.)

Exodus 19:12-13 Put limits for the people around the mountain and tell them, ‘Be careful that you do not approach the mountain or touch the foot of it. Whoever touches the mountain is to be put to death. 13 They are to be stoned or shot with arrows.

(The mountain was so dangerous because it was a volcano. The 'stoned or shot through with arrows' means 'hit by balls of sulfur (brimstone) or hit by fiery material.)

Exodus 19:16 On the morning of the third day there was thunder and lightning, with a thick cloud over the mountain, and a very loud trumpet blast. Everyone in the camp trembled.

(Volcanoes often produce freak weather conditions, including thunder, lightening, thick ckoud and a trumpeting noise. Hail, by the way, is not ice hail in the Bible but small white balls of sulfur.)

Exodus 19:17 And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount.

(An introduction such as this requires a god that is very site specific.)

Exodus 19:18-19 Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the Lord descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain[b] trembled violently. 19 As the sound of the trumpet grew louder and louder, Moses spoke and the voice of God answered him.[c]

('Descended on it....this shows the Hebrews did not know the fire came from inside the volcano....they assumed it must have come from above. They did not know volcanoes were hollow inside, containing the fiery lava. Any speaches by god are made up by the author.)

God is formless you say?

Isaiah 30:27 See, the Name of the LORD comes from afar, with burning anger and dense clouds of smoke; his lips are full of wrath, and his tongue is a consuming fire.

Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Deuteronomy 5:4 The LORD spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain.

Deuteronomy 33:2 He said: "The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the south, from his mountain slopes.

(Shone meaning erupted......myriad of little ones meaning smaller volcanic vents.)

PSA 18:8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.

Numbers 16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.

1 Kings 18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

Hebrews 12:29 for our "God is a consuming fire."

Exodus 24:17 To the Israelites the glory of the LORD looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain.

Psalm 97:3 Fire goes before him and consumes his foes on every side.

Leviticus 10:2 So fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed them, and they died before the LORD.

Numbers 11:1 Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.

YOU SAID.....'If they worshipped Mount Sinai as a God, it would be a volcano God.'

You are absolutely correct. Mount Sinai was not in the Sinai Peninsular but likely in North-western Saudi Arabia, or Midian as named in the Bible. Saudi is one of the most volcanic countries in the world. The Hebrews's religion started with Exodus and, therefore, to unlock the mysteries of it one need only deconstruct Exodus. What happens after that becomes increasingly irrelevant....Chinese Whispers.

The ancient Hebrews worshipped an imaginery volcano god.

MouthWash forfeited this round.

I thought debates were a two way thing. I shall keep this short as I sense I am wasting my time on this website.

The ancient Hebrews thought Mount Sinai was the 'dwelling place' of their god, the god that 'miraculously brought them out of imaginary volcano god. The volcano that brought them out of Egypt was possibly Santorini, or a marine volcano in the Suez Canal triggered by rifting of the Red Sea Rift plates. The ten plagues of Egypt can be explained by the effects of a major volcanic activity and Santorini was one of the biggest in recorded history. It is likely the major natural disaster mentioned in the Ipuwer Papirus. It was so great it brought to an end a Chinese dynasty and was felt around the world. Egypt will surely have been badly affected yet there is no mention of it in the Bible, unless the ten plagues are the mention.

Which brings me on to an important point. There is no mention of volcanoes in the Bible and considering the Hebrews lived in the very volcanic holy land, we would expect to find many stories about volcanic events. However, there is not even the word for volcanoes let alone the word 'volcano'. That, of course, can be explained by the fact the world didn't have a clue what volcanoes were until very recently. Anyone in ancient times living near a volcano would have been there to worship it and slit animals throats to appease it, as did the Hebrews.

That's it for now.

MouthWash forfeited this round.

TheFogHorn forfeited this round.

MouthWash forfeited this round.

TheFogHorn forfeited this round.

MouthWash forfeited this round.
Posted by TheJackel 2 years ago
LordJava, If you do, I would suggest my updated articles below.. I moved almost everything to, and I broke up my main article into 7 chapters:

Article 1:
Yahweh: The Worshiping Of A Volcano God Of War? (7 chapters)

Article 2:
Mountain God Worship: Yahweh, God Of The Mountains

Article 3:
Yahweh: The Rock Of Israel

All of these cover different aspects and are not simply rehashes of the first article. There was simply too much to put into a single article.

Posted by LordJava 2 years ago
Wow, nice find on my part. I had no idea that YHVH was a volcano god. LOL
That explains so much! :) Now I'm going to go on a binge and read your articles.
Posted by TheJackel 4 years ago
There is some problems with the debate.

1. Poster ignored the evidence
2. The term "volcano" did not exist in that era and is referred to "mountain", or by the primary names given to the deity
3. Hebrews and per-isrealites were not very keen on drawing, painting, or depicting their deity. And if it's done, it was only done in how all god's are usually depicted. And that is their human persona.
4. If anyone really understood the history of the region, they would understand that mountain GOD worship was quite prevalent in that region.
5. Yahweh comes from the Midian Mountain GOD from the Shasu of YHW.. The pronunciation is Jahve and it's the GOD in which Jethro the Midian priest specifically worshiped. Yes it was a volcano GOD, and yes Jethro married his daughter off to Moses.
6. Traditions in Mountain GOD worship specifically entail going to the foot of the mountain to worship and give sacrifices. This also entails the traditions of a priest or those who seek answers from heir GOD's to climb the mountains to get instructions, or to meet with said deity. All of which directly involve the worship of Yahweh..
7. The volcano GOD is not limited to MT Sinai.. It's seen by this religion to be associated with all the volcanic activity / mountains in the region..
8. You can read my article on the subject below. And it's just the first article as the second article, this to which I am still writing, will focus more on mountain god customs, Jethro, the Midian GOD Jahve, and how all that fits into the bible.
9. Btw, you only need to read the songs of Yahweh to understand that it's a volcano GOD.. Psalms is specifically about the god, and you don't even need to read Exodus or the duet to figure it out.
Posted by TheFogHorn 4 years ago
I didn't state a resolution? What the hell are you talking about? You can debate my posts in the main forum. I'm not wasting my time once again on big headed you know whats.
Posted by MouthWash 4 years ago
I'm already rechallenging her.
Posted by truthseeker613 4 years ago
Dear pro,
This was not a debate, as you didnt state a resolution.
A question is not a resolution.
If you make it into a resolution, I'll be glad to debate it with you.
Posted by TheOrator 4 years ago
Wow, how short was this voting period? I'm just sorry I didn't get here sooner to vote Pro for concession :/
Posted by MouthWash 4 years ago
I'm not really sure how repeating your views and calling my religion evil will somehow get me to abandon my beliefs; you just seem to want a fight. I will not be lured into one.
Posted by MouthWash 4 years ago
You seem to have a rather naive intolerant view on theists. That will probably cost you in these debates.
Posted by TheFogHorn 4 years ago
I look forward to the day when all Jews realise to their horror that they are only god's chosen people in so far as they were the members of a certain volcano cult, that their 'god' given homeland was given to them in error and that they share a great deal with their hated devotion to a non-existent god that has caused the world a great deal of strife for far too long.

Look forward to being an ordinary human being pal. You're certainly nothing special.

Evil? Put your own house in order first.