Teagan101
maeday

Was the fault in our stars good?

Voting Style: Judge Point System: Select Winner

Teagan101

Con

The Fault in Our Stars just did not seem as real as it could have been, especially because most of the events presented in the book, were very unrealistic. An example would be when Augustus takes Hazel to Amsterdam.
I don't know a single parent who would let their child, especially one with a deadly cancer, go thousands of miles away from home, with only a single BOY. Where as well as the romance in this story was unrealistic.
Though it is so sad, the chances of something like this in real life actually happening is very low. It was just too perfect between them. Where as you stated that the book shows that it shows other sick teens that they can find love too, but then that all came crashing down, so would that really be inspiring?
maeday

Pro

First of all this story is fiction. The author John Green made up characters and settings; almost every fictional book a person reads will seem unrealistic in some way. Look at the Hunger Games -- that's very unrealistic and no one is trying to make it realistic. The Fault in Our Stars is just a book. It's optimistic and happy, and some people enjoy reading stuff that they know will probably never happen in their own life. But it gives hope. Maybe the kid reading it is sick, but it might give him/her the tiniest sliver of hope that things will get better. This sliver of hope just might get them through the day or the week or the year. Things don't have to be perfect, especially not in a book; does it really have to happen in real life to make it a good story?
Teagan101

Con

Yes, this story is for sure fiction and I as well do enjoy hearing about the fictional worlds of characters, but I believe that this story dose not give hope to those who are sick reading it because everything is fine at first, Hazel and Augustus fall in love and visit Amsterdam but then, this happiness is soon drained from the story when Augustus gets sick and dies. If I was a sick teen and read this, it would crush me, possibly scar me! {Even as a normal, healthy girl it did!} because I wouldn't want to love someone so strongly, just to die 3 months later and devastate them or be sick and fall in love with someone else who is sick and then have them die like Augustus and be upset. It would not inspire me at all, in fact it would probably make me angry in a way. No, a story dose not have to happen in real life to be good, which is not what I'm saying at all. My favorite book is Linked, by Imogg Howson, and isn't even close to be real. What I am saying though, is that this story is not inspiring to sick teens. Is death really Inspiring?
maeday

Pro

To answer your question of "Is death really inspiring?" Yes, it can be, and in this case it is. I agree that it would crush you, but what about the lesson you learned? Not everything is perfect, but the main characters got to experience something so powerful that it physically hurt. This brings me to the cliche of it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all. There's something to this story that deals with sorrow and love. The end brings serenity and peace; it just goes to show that something doesn't have to be happy to be inspiring, or even tell a lesson. The lesson I get from this story is to love with everything you have, because it might not be there for long.
Teagan101

Con

Teagan101 forfeited this round.
maeday

Pro

maeday forfeited this round.
Posted by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
I hated this book. I didnt think the portrayal of cancer was unrealistic, I just thought it was a cast if overly perfect cardboard characters with no depth or humanity. The inly ones to feel like real peopke were the author guy in Amsterdam and possiblt Isaac. Also it was a pretentious pile if garbage that thought it was saying all if these new and deep things when it was just stating the obvious. "funerals arent for the dead theyre for the living" Not really breaking new ground. One of the themes was the feet if being forgotton. That would be tragic for a cancer patient without exeption in real life, but in a work if fiction you have to give the reader a reason to care that these people might be forgotten. And this book didnt give that they were to inhuman