Was the finale of 'How I Met Your Mother' a good way to end it?

The series finale of How I Met Your Mother was last night, the show ran for 10 seasons and gained a lot of fans in the process, but was the ending any good?

First round is to accept the debate and we will have three rounds to discus if the ending was good enough to close this long running show.

This is just a friendly discussion, so no name calling or rude comments.

Looking forward to the debate

I do think the American sitcom, How I Met Your Mother, had an appropriate ending that followed the shows themes. With that, I accept this debate and I will be debating on the pro side!

Wow, thank you for accepting my debate despite the fact you agree with me. Very brave indeed

I began watching HIMYM about 2 years ago and was addicted, I went back and watched all the seasons to catch up, I began to love the show and characters that made me laugh, cry and make me feel hopeful that I may find someone myself.

However, the finale was not enjoyable, not awful but felt out of character.

I will go into details about the individual characters in my next round but in this round I want to point out how rushed the ending seemed, They rushed through several story lines in the matter of forty minutes not getting to the point until the last 15 minutes.

For a show which normally drags out the moral or idea of the plot line it didn't take the time in the last episodes to move sink in the emotions.

It just steam rolled all the plot points to reach an unsatisfying ending which was perfectly handled already in this last season.

No problem! I love HIMYM and have watched all the seasons about 7 times now. (I like falling asleep to HIMYM) and I will defend it til' the end!

Now, I can see where you are coming from with the idea that it is rushed. But, HIMYM was renewed for only one more season and they had to get the exciting ending in. HIMYM is know to throw curve balls (and you are probably understanding of this considering you have watched all the seasons) and that is exactly what they did. The mother ended up dying and Ted ending up bringing the blue french horn to Robin leaving us to assume they began a new relationship. That was a pretty big curve ball if you ask me. They also had to tie up loose ends with other characters in an hour's time (Barney's kid, Lily & Marshall's 3rd kid, Marshall's judge position, etc.)

Firstly I want to apologize for misreading your acceptance. That was an error and I am sorry for quoting you wrong.

With each character they seemed to forget everything they built up in the last few seasons.

As I said, I didn't think it was bad, just not fitting.

I liked Barney changing to become responsible and caring because he has a little girl.
But what was wrong with the development of his character up till the last episode?

He realized he wasn't happy with the way his life was turning out and Robin made him happy.
So they break up in the space of 2 scenes because he didn't like travelling around with her.
Then he acts exactly the same as he has before until he gets 2 scenes explaining he got a girl pregnant and now he is a sensitive man now.

Lily and Marshal has a third child and Marshal becomes a judge. No real build up just a quick run down of things that happen.

I did enjoy Robin traveling the world and making a success out of herself. It suited the character and made sense she would be the member of the group that began to grow distant.

The Mother dies. It was a twist ending, but for a show that was able to create great emotions and truly touching moments, they seemed to brush over this fact pretty quickly to move on.

But for me the worst offender was Ted.

In this last season, they hinted that Ted was still in love with Robin, that he would do anything for her but had to let her go.
(That scene on the beach where he lets her go and she floats away is one of my favorites)
Robin and Barney were in love and were going to be married. No hint this wouldn't happen. So Ted accepting it and moving on to Chicago made sense. It was smart writing and fit the characters,

So in the finale, Ted gets with the mother of his children, falls madly in love, the writers kill her off, break up Robin and Barney so Ted can go out with her again.

sophialindsey forfeited this round.

Awstevans forfeited this round.

sophialindsey forfeited this round.
Posted by cheeto125 2 years ago
I hate that show!
Posted by RiskTaker 2 years ago

ok thank god u didn't...