Kri500
andyjfraser

Was the timing wrong that made British Parliament vote no to strike on Syria?

Kri500

Pro

As the article here http://bit.ly... suggests we believe that the timing of the vote was wrong. If it was done after the UN brought evidence of chemical weapon use the result would have been different.
andyjfraser

Con

No I don't think the timing was wrong even if the UN had reported earlier I believe the vote would have gone the same way, there was grave concern that we would end up with another Iraq situation. Plus you have to remember the Syrians are not a threat to so really we had no grounds to take military action in the first place. I'm not say what happened wasn't bad but I do believe its time we and the US stopped trying to police the world and encourage diplomacy and also encourage the citizens of such counties to be empowered to sort their own affairs out. Maybe then we can concentrate on sorting out our own problems. Another point to make is we often sell the weapons to groups and countries that then use them on their own people, which makes us partly responsible for many world atrocities.
Kri500

Pro

Kri500 forfeited this round.
andyjfraser

Con

Kri500

Pro

Kri500 forfeited this round.
andyjfraser

Con

andyjfraser forfeited this round.
Posted by Kri500 3 years ago
Kri500
The West always wanted to help Syrian rebels but because of Russia and Alqueda they could not do. Chemical weapons gave the compulsion. UN was not inactive as it was investigating. As the article says if the voting was done after UN report result would have been different.
Posted by Thetimezonelady 3 years ago
Thetimezonelady
Out of curiosity, do you think the UN (mainly US and France as far as I know) should of gone into Syria earlier? As the killing of citizens has happened before in Syria but neither the media or UN paid much attention and when chemical weapons come in use everything is being reported about the situation.