TheFurryOat
xXCryptoXx

Washing clothes is a waste of time

xXCryptoXx

TheFurryOat

Pro

I need to get more accustomed to debating, so by choosing a fun topic I hope to become a better debater and in turn, more sociable. In this debate I will defend the argument that washing your clothes is a waste of time and that it is unnecessary in society. Con will be arguing against this using whatever he needs to disprove my claim.

First round is acceptance and argument.

There will be three rounds with 3 days posting time allowed.

Good luck.
xXCryptoXx

Con

I trust that your arguments will be... interesting.
TheFurryOat

Pro

TheFurryOat forfeited this round.
xXCryptoXx

Con

We should wash our clothes because it goes with society's standards as a responsible, educated human. In addition it is far healthier and helps in giving you the responsibility to keep up a good sense of hygene.

No person is going to hire someone who can't, or won't even wash their own clothes.

In addition, no one will want to socialize with you cause you'll be smelly.

Over to you.
TheFurryOat

Pro

Thank you for your response. I promise mine will be delightful and convoluted.

As a society, what is educational is decided upon by a group of people, and without fail it is decided not based on the majority but on a minority. Most of the time the education standards are set by idiots who majored in business.[1]. This is ironic do to the fact that business majors are rated as some of the least educated to come out of college[2]. This can be connected with how business does not encourage curiosity. I do not hate business majors, I hold them in contempt for their lack of humanity. This is a popular view and it would be easy to brush it aside as political, but if business were interested in improving humanity then they wouldn't be considered as defining altruism.[3] Maybe instead, the standards of society should be decided upon relatively. This is standard hogwash to some, but in other cases it is most desirable due to it's ability to free and it's latent chain to the constitution. Nude beaches are revered by nearly all gay men and every single senior citizen. Both of these groups of people could be considered as undergoing more existential stress than any other group. Homosexuals deal with, and as is evidenced by the latest ruling, and overcome, being different from their peers. This is a deep seated terror that nearly every kid has experienced in school at some point. Senior citizens are faced with demise and regret. Now, I have wondered off topic and it could be conceivable that I am arguing for the permissibility of public nudity. This could not be further from the truth if it were written by a blind man. I am arguing that washing clothes adds an unneeded amount of stress due to it's tedious nature, it's annoying nature. If someone were to stop washing their clothes they would free up at least 3 hours each week. According to journalists Malcolm Gladwell[4], it takes 10,000 hours to master an art.

The average lifespan in hours is:
24 hours * 365 days * 75 years = 657,000 hours lived

Time taken to wash clothes:
3 hours * 52 weeks * 75 years = 11,700 hours

By not washing your clothes, you are improving your life in someway.

[1]http://www.nybooks.com...

[2] http://www.nytimes.com...

[3] http://www.cracked.com...

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...(book)

xXCryptoXx

Con

My opponent seems to go off topic from this entire debate.

In fact, after reading my opponent's opening argument I honestly saw almost no relevancy in it to this debate.

So my opponent starts talking about education standards in about the first half of the paragraph he
posted, but educational standards have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not we should wash
our clothes. In addition, you don't even back up your claim that education standards are set by businessmen because the source you used to back that statement off only talks about some biasness in certain textbooks made in textbooks which is even further in relevancy to your statementthan your statement is to this debate.

Educational standards are not equal to societal standards. It is as simple as that.

In fact, you never even explained what you meant by "educational standards" and I am having trouble responding to what you said just because I really have no idea what you are trying to get to and what the relevancy is to this debate.

The next point you make in the second part of your paragraph however does have at least a bit of relevancy to this debate so I will respond accordingly.

My opponent talks about how societal standards should be decided relatively and how to some people certain things are okay and others aren't.

However, washing clothes isn't one of those things.

One cannot simply "set" societal standards, standards are something that generally exist throughout the society naturally without someone or something saying we should all beleive in "this" or "that".

Naturally, in America, where washing clothes is a simple, hygenic, and common task, a citizen will look down upon another who does not do this because it shows that they either can't wash their clothes, which presumes that this person is uneducated, unlucky, poor, or all three, or that they can wash their clothes but choose not to, which shows a lack of responsibility, hygene, and education.

These conclusions are sound and are therefore set by the society in judging the citizens of said society.

Here is the main point of my opponent's argument, which thankfully he made very clear.

"I am arguing that washing clothes adds an unneeded amount of stress due to it's tedious nature, it's annoying nature."

By no means is this stress unneeded at all, by not washing your clothes it shows you have a poor sense of hygiene, are irresponsible over your own body, or that you are simply to poor or lazy to wash your own clothes. None of these things will help you to be accepted into society, meet new people, or even get a job.

In addition, my opponent argues that washing clothes will take away a total of 11,700 hours to do.

My opponent's math is actually flawed, for he assumes all people do their own laundry starting from the day they are born. We'll assume that most people start doing their own laundry roughly around the age of 18.

This means that laundry takes up 8,892 hours instead of 11,700 hours.

This is about 1/75 of your entire life.

This means a measly one year of your life will taken up by doing something that allows you to be accepted into the society as a good citizen, heightens ones chance of getting a job, and heightens ones chance of maintaining a job.

OR you can have that one year back, and be looked down upon, have no one not want to be near you due to being smelly, have very few friends that will tolerate you being smelly, and be generally looked at upon as lazy, irresponsible, or poor.

Posted by TheFurryOat 3 years ago
TheFurryOat
Also, Einstein was said to have been extremely smelly and yet he is considered to be one of the greatest humans to have ever lived. Same with Gandhi. In fact being smelly has only recently, as in turn around 1900, become an insult. So again, metrosexual tendencies in modern society.
Posted by TheFurryOat 3 years ago
TheFurryOat
Okay, it seems people have trouble understanding my arguments, this is probably because I don't provide knowledge of what I'm responding to, I just assume that others will know what I'm responding to.
If societys standards say that people who wash their clothes are educated and responsible, then how ever much a person is educated and on what, is decided by boards and the people who choose the standard textbooks. Because Texas, a state infested with religion, decides the textbooks, and because religion is a mark of low education, then the educational standards are set by the least educated people because in Texas, where religion rules, there will also be more businessmen because business workers are the least educated to come out of college, this is not an assumption but an observation that religion and business go hand in hand and will be found together everywhere. Hence, the standards of society dictating that washing your clothes is a sign of being educated and responsible is irony come to life. Society's standards are set by whatever is most popular at the time, modern time dictates that metrosexuality, overt masculinity and low standard behaviors are in vogue. In the era of Grunge, Flower power, and even Greece, society's standards were ignored and in turn they became the vogue.
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
TheFurryOatxXCryptoXxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con due to round FF. Also he had more logical arguments and was able to refute any statements Pro made. Pro also was making arguments that were not relevant to the topic
Vote Placed by GOP 3 years ago
GOP
TheFurryOatxXCryptoXxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's math was flawed. He also forfeited. "My opponent's math is actually flawed, for he assumes all people do their own laundry starting from the day they are born." - Con