Jelera
9spaceking

Wasting Time Debating the Silly Things

9spaceking

Jelera

Con

Okay, so I'm new to this site but there's something I've noticed that is irking me. First off, let me say that I love a good debate, even if it's simply based on a person's opinion without hard facts. So here's my problem, why are people wasting time debating silly, inconsequential things? For example, this song is sinful or that book promotes witchcraft. Or how about this movie was better than that one. Really? Just stop. There are more important, more substantial matters one can be debating. Those that want to debate whether or not the PlayStation System is superior to all the others are, in my opinion, intellectual runts. Use your brains and wits, in other words, your intelligence and debate a real issue, like abortion or gay rights.
9spaceking

Pro

Ahhhhh!!!! Accidental acceptance...please do your arugments fast, I don't have much time.
Debating silly things is fun. There is a very well recieved member named imabench who is well known for his trolling and making ridiculous debates.
Please see: http://www.debate.org....
As you can see debating silly things are actually welcomed! As for movie debates, these can be very crucial, especially in deciding which movie is the best of all time--could it be the good old Godfather? Or does Raiders of the Lost Ark stand up as the top dog movie?
Back to you, con.
Jelera

Con

Alright, I'm not so stubborn I can't see your point, but a real debate, one with real issues is far more exhilarating and satisfying, especially when you're the winner. I would think the satisfaction of winning a debate on something like which color is better would be less than awesome. If you want to state your opinion on whether One Direction, the boy band for this generation is better than, The New Kids on the Block, the boy band of another generation, than do so in the forums. Sure, it might be fun for someone of the older generation to argue the above stated debate with someone of this generation but I'd much rather read and comment on something with more substance. And really, starting a debate on whether the Transformers movie beats Pacific Rim isn't a true debate but an disagreement between a couple of argumentative, time wasters. Yes, I understand that debating is all about arguments for or against but if all people can think about is what movie is better or what game has better graphics, then the future is going to be one scary place.
9spaceking

Pro

Fun debates will still be very exhilarating and satisfying. One example is a death battle between two very powerful beings. Will Megatron win against Dumbledore? Will Mario be able to beat Percy Jackson? These are all very intriguing match-ups that test your brain and get it to working.
Again, I stress that especially troll debates are fun. Here is an example: http://www.debate.org.... Even though Imabench completely derailed the debate, it was still humorous and silly how he completely turned the debate around using semantics, defining Poop as "People order our patties" and DNA as "Demonized Nambian Antelopes", which was hilarious! Even the president, TUF, agreed within his vote.....saying "Con trolled, but was funny as balls. Sorry but I still have to give PRO the points, bench. Just because your funny, does not mean you can rob the entire debate with semantics. But for the record, you made me lol"
In addition, just because we do silly debates do not mean we really think that way. Does Ima really believe poop doesn't have DNA? Probably not. Does it really matter whether or not In a fight, Voldemort and Dumbledore would beat Megatron and Optimus Prime? Not really. But these debates train your brain and ability to research information.
In fact, based on your logic, if people do all serious debates, they'll all be serious. But that is not always the case. The infamous Imabench mentioned above actually started off as a pretty serious debater. If you don't believe me, check out his profile's debates during the very beginning...http://www.debate.org....
In conclusion fun debates are good, awesome, and should be continued to be done regardless of how silly and seemingly pointless they are.
Jelera

Con

Well said. I'm not saying that a silly, fun argument isn't just that, silly and fun but those things aren't a debate of worth and is truly a waste of someone's time. Time that could be spent doing something productive, something life changing or even donate that time by giving a helping hand down at the local shelter or food banks. Or hey, here's an idea, instead of debating which movie or video game is the greatest go out and be active, hang with friends, hike a nature trail or pick up the trash in your local park. Aren't those things fun too? And more, hanging with friends means you can have those silly, fun debates live and in color. Hiking is healthy and fun and picking up the trash at the local park, if done with friends is not only helpful to the community but can be fun as well. There's are hundreds of different ways of having fun that are more productive and interesting than debating the silly things on a web site.
9spaceking

Pro

Opponent has failed to rebut my points about imabench's productive debates.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
I was quite forced to an extremely short extension at the end due to lack of time. I hope it's enough.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
This it quite the revolving door. A silly debate about silly debates. I think I need to create a debate about why we should debate about other debates.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
ehhh....I was too tempted to noob-snipe this, so it's kind of my fault.
Posted by Jelera 2 years ago
Jelera
Oh, so I have to ask since you accidentally accepted this challenge, did you also accidentally request me as a friend?
Posted by Jelera 2 years ago
Jelera
A resolution, as I understand it is as follows, The action of solving a problem or contentious matter:
"the peaceful resolution of all disputes"
"a successful resolution to the problem"
Do you disagree? If so, please tell me.

Sorry about the accidental acceptance.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
what's the resolution?
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Jelera9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments - Pro. Con had the burden as instigator in this debate and failed to truly explain why debating silly things is a waste of time. The only real argument from Con was that winning a serious debate would be more satisfying. Other than that, one's opinion on which debates are substantive or not is highly subjective. As Pro pointed out, many users find silly debates to be worth their time. At the end of the day, Pro provided rebuttals for each point raised by Con, whereas Con failed to do the same and also failed to show why silly debates are a waste of time in a manner that would have convinced me to Con's side. For these reasons, Pro wins arguments. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize sources throughout this debate whereas Pro did not. Pro placed several debates as references. For this, Pro wins sources.
Vote Placed by doomswatter 2 years ago
doomswatter
Jelera9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Burden of Proof was on Con. Con proposed that debating "silly things" is a waste of time, but failed to prove it. Con only gave her opinions, which are not sufficient evidence. I'm always willing to clarify my RFD.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Jelera9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Productivity outweighs lulz.
Vote Placed by ShadowKingStudios 2 years ago
ShadowKingStudios
Jelera9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Rap Battles are fun but they are not debates, neither opponent is presenting any arguments to be intellectually weighed on their merits of being either true or false, factual or erroneous. Silly kiddie debates are a waste of time for some of us. And I don't feel it was pertinent for Con to rebut Pro's imabench link. People have this misconception that every piece of evidence need to be "refuted" in order for their opponent to establish credibility. Wrong. Neither Con or Pro made a compelling case of solid justification. Yet my vote supports Con because she presented a pertinent premise that didn't get even remotely dismantled by Pro's lackluster argumentation (like a dusty car being splashed with a single bucket of water. The dusty car got wet, but the water did not remotely clean off all the grim).
Vote Placed by mishapqueen 2 years ago
mishapqueen
Jelera9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: While I think meaningful debates are more important, I think we should also be able to have fun debating.