anny588
Ragnar

Watching Violence on TV is bad for you

Ragnar
Started: 4/12/2015 Category: TV

anny588

Pro

Copycats
Children tend to imitate actions they see. As the AACAP suggests, a child viewing a violent act on television can be tempted to imitate the violence they observe. Aggressiveness tends to increase in children who watch a great deal of violent television shows, thus increasing the likelihood of imitating an act they observe. As the AACAP website states, children can be influenced in this manner after watching a single violent television episode, especially if the child is not monitored by an adult during exposure to the show. The likelihood of imitation increases when the violent acts depicted go unpunished in the specific television episode.
Ragnar

Con

Pro's entire case is plagiarized a LiveStrong.com article written by Adam Fonseca [1], and should be dismissed as such.

In case that is not enough, I quite enjoy watching violence on TV, it helps me relax, and thus is good for me. In fact I bet it's good for everyone here.

And to the pathos appeals of think of the children: It's a dangerous world, they need to know how to defend themselves. I suggest starting with this eHow guide, which includes use of violent videos [2].

[1] http://www.livestrong.com...
[2] http://www.ehow.com...
anny588

Pro

Violence also damage your brain because according to http://healthland.time.com... it states that researchers finds that the more you watch violence the higher the chance you willbe a violent person
Like my friend Trevor he is a really violent person I know because he once told me he plays and watches violent things.
Ragnar

Con

"because according to..."
1. Had you read the article, you would have noticed it's titled "How Playing Violent Video Games May Change the Brain," not even harm the brain, and still only risen to the level of maybe.
2. It remains off topic, interacting with a video game, is a whole different experience than simply watching something.
3. Were it on topic, the increase in violence has not been shown to be harmful to the person playing; as I pointed out last round, people need to defend themselves.

"my friend Trevor"
1. See 3 above.
2. Correlation does not prove causeation.
3. Still just a logical fallacy of meaningless Anecdotal evidence (one isilated incident, means little), so invalid as an argument.

[3] https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...;
anny588

Pro

Also according tohttp://www.dailymail.co.uk...
it also says 'Watching too much television can change the structure of a child's brain in a damaging way' you see! Research is always right!
Ragnar

Con

"Also according to..."
Illiteracy at work, the title of the a article is clearly "Children who watch too much TV..." too much anything is harmful. Is eating harmful, just because some people abuse it? No!

"Research is always right!"
Not always, but in this case it tends to be accerate, just not your conclusions of what it said. Such as in the article you posted, it clearly shows benifit, as TV watching (in children) "leads to more grey matter in the regions around the frontopolar cortex area of the brain" more brain is a good thing.

Conclusion:
This was a fun speed debate (ten minute rounds), but pro has no case.

In addition to dropping every single point I've made, what case they might be said to have, is off topic; both targeting children, and video games instead of mere watching of television (as the resolution demands).

Highlight to me, pro opening with a plagiarized material, ironically titled "Copycats."
Posted by Eminemhatespresidents 1 year ago
Eminemhatespresidents
Candle Cove is a violent show!!!!!!!!
Posted by CommunistDog 1 year ago
CommunistDog
Everyone interperates things in their own ways. To some, it's a bad influence. To others, like Con, it's fun to watch violence on TV. I feel that Con does bring up a good argument though.
Vote Placed by NateTheFirst 1 year ago
NateTheFirst
anny588RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Plagiarism
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
anny588RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro plagiarized and misquoted his sources... making them unreliable.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 1 year ago
FuzzyCatPotato
anny588RagnarTied
Reasons for voting decision: play jar ism