benshine7
Hayd

Water is The Best Choice For Our Daily Life

Hayd

benshine7

Pro

I believe that water is always be the best choice as a healthy drink. Although there are many healthy drinks such as herbal tea,goat milk,and even coffee. But, water still be the best choice because it is calorie-free and no additional sweetener. Besides,we cannot avoid the fact that H2O is one of the major element in human body. It is about 50-65 % in adult, and in infants is about 75-78%. So,we need more water in our daily life.

Source:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu...
http://chemistry.about.com...
Hayd

Con

I would like to first thank my opponent for creating this topic and I look forward to a quality discussion. I will now present my case that water is not actually the best choice for daily life.

Instead of water, I propose that tea is the best choice for our daily life and will back this up in my arguments.

A1:

During the process of creating tea, you have to boil water.

“Boiling water is the safest method of purification… boiling water kills germs and parasites… Naturally occurring water can contain bacteria, such as Giardia, that can cause digestive issues and, in some developing countries, potentially fatal diseases, such as cholera. Water that looks clean can still contain harmful bacteria, which are invisible to the naked eye. Therefore, it's important to purify your water if you suspect it has not been treated even if it looks safe to drink. (1)

By drinking tea instead of drinking water, you decrease the risk of the transference of parasites, viruses, bacteria, etc. which leads to a healthier body.

A2:

“Epidemiological evidence has shown an association between tea consumption and the prevention of age-related bone loss in elderly women and men. Ingestion of green tea and green tea bioactive compounds may be beneficial in mitigating bone loss of this population and decreasing their risk of osteoporotic fractures.”(2)

In short, tea has many health advantages that water doesn’t.

A3:

“Water is essentially replacing fluid. Tea replaces fluids and contains antioxidants so it’s got two things going for it.” -Dr. Ruxton (In a BBC interview) (3)

"Drinking tea is actually better for you than drinking water. Water is essentially replacing fluid. Tea replaces fluids and contains antioxidants so it's got two things going for it." –Dr. Ruxton (4)

If you had one cup of tea and one cup of water, tea would be better for you to drink.

Conclusion:

I have stated by case for why tea is a better drink than water and backed up each assertion with evidence. I await my opponent’s response, thank you!

1. http://traveltips.usatoday.com...

2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

3. http://healthland.time.com...

4. http://lifehacker.com...

benshine7

Pro

Dear Hyde,

First I want to say thanks to accept my debate. At first, I was amazed with those evidences that you'd showed to me. But,after all i'm not in line with your statement if you think tea is better than water. I can proof to you,especially for this argument:

A2:

"Epidemiological evidence has shown an association between tea consumption and the prevention of age-related bone loss in elderly women and men. Ingestion of green tea and green tea bioactive compounds may be beneficial in mitigating bone loss of this population and decreasing their risk of osteoporotic fractures."(2)

I agree for your argument that green tea can mitigate bone loss (after i did research). But, green tea also can reduce the bioavailability of nonheme iron. It means your body is less able to absorb this nutrient. Nonheme iron is the primary type of iron in eggs, dairy and plant foods such as beans, so drinking green tea with these foods can lead to reduced iron absorption. Beside that, You must know that tea also can reducing bone quality if you drink too much.

As my evidence, that tea can reducing bone quality because it can cause "skeletal fluorosis" and causing pain and stiffening of the ligaments.

In short, tea is not a better choice than water, because it has some serious negative impacts when you consumpt too much. Even in http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au... suggested to not drink more than two to three cups per day of tea (To against osteoporosis). While water can't cause osteoporosis.

I await for your response, thank you.

-benshine7-

http://www.theguardian.com...
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au...
http://www.livestrong.com...
Hayd

Con

For my opponent’s rebuttal, he attempts to show how green tea is unhealthy for you to drink. His rebuttal ran like so.

P1: Green tea causes skeletal fluorosis.

P2: Water doesn’t cause skeletal fluorosis.

C1: Water is better for you to drink than Green tea.

My opponent says this,

“You must know that tea also can reducing bone quality if you drink too much.”

Anything is excessiveness is unhealthy for you, even water.

“Experts now warn that drinking eight glasses of water a day is not good for you after all – and could be harmful…Drinking excessive amounts can also lead to loss of sleep as people have to get up in the night to go to the toilet, and other studies show it can even cause kidney damage, instead of preventing it…Worryingly, Dr McCartney also warns that taking on too much water can lead to a rare but potentially fatal condition called hyponatraemia, which sees the body’s salt levels drop and can lead to swelling of the brain.” (1)

Both tea and water are unhealthy for you “if you drink too much.”

Yet the benefits of green tea outweigh the costs; just because one thing in green tea is bad for you doesn’t mean green tea is bad for you.

Conclusion:

My opponent has attempted to negate my argument that tea is good for you by pointing out parts of tea that might be bad for you. I have defeated this by demonstrating how the benefits of tea outweigh the costs and therefore tea is actually good for you and by showing that the same goes for water.

(1) http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

benshine7

Pro

Green tea is also good and healthy choice, but it has negative impacts, while water doesn't have any negative impacts. So green tea is not the best choice (Remember my topic is supposed to be "The Best Choice") . Beside that, you also generalized that "tea" is better than water from your previous statement, so I'm not in line with you. Not all of tea are good. Maybe you should change that "green tea" is better than water, then we'll make our new debates.

According to the website that you've shared above, I doubt about the truth. Do doctors, nutritionists and health scientists actually perform any experiments or do they just give opinions about this? (Because me and my family often drinks water more than 8 glasses everyday in our whole lives until present and we are very fit).

I await for your response, thank you.

-benshine7-
Hayd

Con

R1:

“Green tea is also good and healthy choice, but it has negative impacts, while water doesn't have any negative impacts. So green tea is not the best choice (Remember my topic is supposed to be "The Best Choice") .”

Just because Green tea has one downside, does not mean it is bad for you. If the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, then this object is considered to be overall good, as is with Green tea. Green tea’s benefits outweigh its costs so therefore it is good for you.

As I have already demonstrated; tea is entirely water based. Tea holds all the advantages that water will have, and the added bonuses within the tea. Tea is almost an improved version of water. Therefore tea is a “better choice” than water.

R2:

My opponent then demonstrates that “not all tea are good” and suggests that we make a new debate.

The fallacy here is that my opponent makes the claim that not all teas are good, but then doesn’t give any evidence for it, does not show how other tea types are bad. Therefore the argument holds no weight.

R3:

My opponent then doubts the legitimacy of my evidence.

“I doubt about the truth. Do doctors, nutritionists and health scientists actually perform any experiments or do they just give opinions about this?”

Experts in the field do not hold opinions, they hold truth. They know this because they are “experts” in their subjects and they have done studies. My source says,

“However, a report describes the danger of dehydration as a ‘myth’ and says there is no evidence behind claims that water prevents multiple health problems.”

Experts do not just have opinions, they give facts, and the facts lean my way.

Conclusion:

Sadly this is the end of a quality debate. I have thoroughly enjoyed this debate and look forward to its results. I would like to thank my opponent and wish him the best of luck wherever life takes him. Thank you!

Posted by TinyBudha 2 years ago
TinyBudha
Dihydrogen Monoxide is a highly lethal and dangerous chemical OK, it should NOT be allowed ever.
Posted by GracieAlicia 2 years ago
GracieAlicia
Oh okay, that makes sense haha i'm only new @mostlogical
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 2 years ago
Proving_a_Negative
Water isn't an element. It just bugs me when people say this. :P
Posted by mostlogical 2 years ago
mostlogical
#GracieAlicia - no-one can accept the debate because the age limit is probably set at 100, people do this to pick a person they wish to debate with, as a lot of people forfeit most rounds.
Posted by GracieAlicia 2 years ago
GracieAlicia
I'm a regular green tea drinker, so i'd say that it was better than water if i could debate with you.
Posted by GracieAlicia 2 years ago
GracieAlicia
I would accept this if i could, but you have an age limit. Age shouldn't matter! :(
Vote Placed by ResponsiblyIrresponsible 2 years ago
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
benshine7HaydTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ultimately what won CON this debate is demonstrating that tea, because it is water-based, possesses all the benefits of water - such as being a replacing fluid - but also several additional benefits: being an antioxidant, and decreasing the risk of transferring parasites and bacteria by virtue of the fact that tea, but not water, is boiled. The two debaters at times were, frankly, talking over one another and never actually engaged each other's arguments, so weighing the potency of impacts is difficult. For instance, PRO dropped two of CON's contentions initial contentions (tea is safer and an antioxidant), and directly concedes on bone loss. Then CON doesn't challenge that tea can lead to skeletal fluorosis or that it could reduce iron absorption. However, that CON's R2 arguments applied only to green tea, when CON's case was for tea generally speaking, reduces the saliency of PRO's impacts. I saw the "too much" point as non-unique, as well. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.