roselilly
TheConservativeSocialist

Water is wet

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 5 months ago Status: Voting Period

roselilly

Pro

Water is obviously wet. Its not a dry thing. Something dry would be a cardboard. Water is a liquid and a fluid and unless it becomes a solid, it is considered as being "wet".
TheConservativeSocialist

Con

Thanks for starting this debate. This should be fun. Good luck! :)

Anyway, water - by definition - isn't wet. Since my opponent did not provide a definition for the word 'wet', I will be relying on the one provided by Dictionary.com. Wet is an adjective that refers to anything "moistened, covered, or soaked with water or some other liquid." Water, therefore, is not wet because it is water itself. It is not moistened because water is already moist. It is not covered or soaked because it acts as one substance.

Moreover, according to The Guardian, "Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, our possessions, 'get wet'."

--
Here are the links to my sources for anyone who wants to verify.
http://www.dictionary.com...
https://www.theguardian.com...
roselilly

Pro

Oh wow, I sincerely did not think I would be getting a response back. But anyway, yeah when water is poured onto something, (like a table or something) it is described as wet because the surface has been soaked. And in that scenario, it was the water that made the surface itself wet. So when water is by itself, it is already "wet"
TheConservativeSocialist

Con

Haha, I thought this debate was too interesting and out there to turn down.

Anyway, to respond to your new statement, I agree with your first claim. The table would be considered wet because it has been moistened, covered, and soaked by water, which is a fluid. So yes, the water did make the surface itself wet. What I don't agree with is your claim that water by itself is inherently wet. Like I said before, water - by definition - isn't wet. It acts as one substance and is therefore not moistened, covered, or soaked by itself.

--
Once again, for anyone who wants to verify the information in this argument, the links are included in my argument in round one.
roselilly

Pro

okay so now is like the time where you give up and let me win.

When water is on your shirt or sweater, or hand, it is perceived as being wet. So when water is just there by itself, it is wet, even if you aren't touching it. Water is wet because we perceive it to be, it cannot be just due to learning and experience or else it would be different for everyone.
so basically water is just wet. a fact. just accept it.
TheConservativeSocialist

Con

I'm not giving up that easily haha nice try though. :)

When water is on your shirt, sweater, or hand, the water itself isn't wet. Rather, the sweater, shirt, or hand becomes wet. When the water itself is alone, it is not wet. It is what causes wetness, however, that doesn't explicitly make it wet. This debate really isn't an issue of human perception or experience; it's a dispute over what wetness really is. By definition, water just isn't wet. That's what I consider to be a fact and I've used several sources to support it.
Posted by missmedic 5 months ago
missmedic
There is a liquid that is not wet...................
Posted by SirNoodles518 5 months ago
SirNoodles518
"Debate: Water is wet"

What has this site come to
Posted by SirNoodles518 5 months ago
SirNoodles518
"Debate: Water is wet"

What has this site come to