DebateVex
Debating_Horse

We Should Legalize All Firearms

DebateVex

Pro

I believe that the United States government should legalize EVERY firearm (i.e AK-47s, grenade launchers, RPGs, uzis, etc.)

Guns are an integral part of American culture. Too many people want to ban all guns because they keep getting abused. Easy solution: just send them to jail! Sometimes a hunting rifle is not enough for the shooting range when that's all you have been doing for years. Instead, machine guns are vastly more enjoyable. Even for those who want more, something like an RPG is a great weapon to test.

Additionally, classic hunting rifles are quite hard to kill deer and chicken. RPGs and Uzis are weapons that easily kill these animals. Some of the first hunting techniques came from the use of these weapons and it is important that we continue to maintain this tradition that our ancestors created.
Debating_Horse

Con

Before I begin, I will state that I approve of gun rights.

Argument:

While there are great guns that are appropriate, the ones you mentioned in your example are unnecessary. Grenade launchers? Rocket Propelled Grenades? This is utterly ridiculous. These weapons fall in the "military weapons" category, these weapons can kill large numbers of people, maim, and destroy property. We are not in a "war-zone" where having these weapons are vital, we are a nation of civilized people, I can understand AR-15s, but not Kalashnikovs. And automatic firing guns, they are extremely dangerous. You need a gun to protect yourself from intruders and crime, not for a private military war campaign. Conceiving the idea that all higher class weapons (such as military used) should be used as self defense is utterly preposterous.

Conclusion:

The pro person needs to provide a better argument in the next round of this debate.

DebateVex

Pro

I do agree with you that "military weapons" are dangerous if used incorrectly. However, isn't this the case for all other weapons? It's actually probably easier to do more destruction with a machine gun than an RPG. This is due to the fact that with an RPG, you can only hold so much ammunition while machine guns can hold hundreds of bullets within something as small as a breast pocket.

Also, on the topic of self defense, think about your typical hunting rifle or something of that matter. These guns fire extremely slow and the bullets hardly do more damage than a powerful paintball gun. I think it is necessary that we carry "military grade weapons" which are DESIGNED to kill people, do damage, etc. Hunting rifles are only meant to kill small rabbits, not full size humans in bullet proof vests and helmets. Imagine this: if a robber came into your house with a pistol, he would easily be able to take you on 1v1 if you had a slow hunting rifle. But, if you had an RPG, you would easily wipe their sorry face off earth. Additionally, I know that house robberies and people breaking in is uncommon, but people like to have an extra sense of security within their homes. People will overall be happier and more trustworthy if they have a reliable form of self defense such as an Uzi or grenade launcher.

I completely understand that we are not in a war zone, but why do we have a war on drugs? With advanced weapons, your every day civilians will be able to kill all drug dealers and this could turn the tides of the war. Drug dealers would not step a foot into our border due to a large amount of people carrying military grade weapons, easily being able to wipe out an entire drug cartel. I know that there are people who would abuse the strength of the more powerful weapons, HOWEVER, this can be solved by doing more extensive and strict background checks on weapons deemed "military grade".

People also want the thrill of being able to shoot bigger and badder weapons. Your average hunting rifle or small handgun is no different than some nerf gun you could pick up at wal-mart. These guns get boring after a long time. People want something more exciting to shoot. With more people buying these exciting weapons, the economy will surely be booming.

Conclusion:

Legalizing all firearms will overall benefit the country through a sense of security and boosting the country's economy. There would be extensive background checks for the more "dangerous" weapons, preventing people from "abusing" them.
Debating_Horse

Con

Rebuttal:

You mentioned how machine guns bullets can do more damage than a rocket propelled grenade. This claim is utterly ridiculous. Now for me to show an image of how much damage a rocket propelled grenade can cause than caliber/assault rifle bullets:

This small armoured vehicle was destroyed with an Rocket Propelled Grenade. This now compared to assault rifle/caliber bullets:

Damage is less compared to a completely destroyed armoured personel carrier.

Rebuttal 2: "Damage comparison" argument

This is nothing, as for this claim: "Imagine this: if a robber came into your house with a pistol, he would easily be able to take you on 1v1 if you had a slow hunting rifle. But, if you had an RPG, you would easily wipe their sorry face off earth. "

So you want to dematerialize yourself in the attempt of putting down an intruder?
A small firearm or even a shotgun could do much better in putting down an intruder. You do not
need an explosive to kill someone and yourself.

Rebuttal 3: "entertainment and economic increase" argument

This will lead to an increase of destruction in crimes, and deaths in murders/crimes. Again, the purpose for owning weapons is for the intention of defending one's self from an intruder, or a threat. Even background checks cannot prevent the wrong person from taking those weapons, people can just steal them.

Conclusion:

The con person's arguments are flawed. He has not proved how owning all weapons would benefit society positively.
DebateVex

Pro

Your picture of the damage of the "rocket propelled grenade" is completely false. That is the result of multiple rounds of ammunition. The exact same result would have happened if you had fired a couple hundred bullets from the gun into that vehicle.

Additionally, yes, it is true that you have a very slight risk in killing yourself when using the RPG to kill an intruder. You do not need the best aim to make sure that you kill them while many studies have proved that shotguns and pistols are EXTREMELY hard to aim.

And of course, there will still be people who abuse these weapons whether they get them from a friend or something of that matter, but this is true for ALL guns. Somebody who wants to do damage will still find a way to do it whether it is with a small knife or an RPG. Also, you did not reply to my argument on they economic increase with the amount of people buying these expensive firearms.

Conclusion:

Con was not able to successfully rebuttal my arguments and ceased from adding any more evidence to the discussion.
Debating_Horse

Con

Final Arguments & Rebuttals:

The armoured vehicle WAS hit by an Rocket Propelled Grenade, show me an image of ammunition DAMAGING armoured personel vehicles, besides this point, now to show the aftermath: ;

Even here: https://imgur.com...

"This M113 APC belonged to the 1st Cavalry operating out of Camp Radcliff. During a routine patrol convoy along QL 19 it was ambushed and destroyed by an RPG. QL 19 was a vital supply line to bases in the central highlands, and thus was also subject to frequent ambushes by Viet Cong and PAVN forces."

Source: https://www.tumblr.com...

"You do not need the best aim to make sure that you kill them while many studies have proved that shotguns and pistols are EXTREMELY hard to aim."

On what studies? Where are the sources for this unproved claim? The explosion created by an Rocket Propelled Grenade fired from the person shooting it to hit the intruder is too obvious, 2nd graders know that you can be killed making such an foolish action, unless you are mentally impaired, you must repudiate.

Rebuttal 2: "weapon theft argument"

I said earlier that with all weapons, especially military grade, can be stolen, what point were you even making?

My previous argument:

"This will lead to an increase of destruction in crimes, and deaths in murders/crimes. Again, the purpose for owning weapons is for the intention of defending one's self from an intruder, or a threat. Even background checks cannot prevent the wrong person from taking those weapons, people can just steal them."

Though I replied with the argument above, I will make it clear: Economic increase is not the focus, safety is more important. Even with Economic increase, there will be a increase in deaths and destruction in crime with all weapons being legalized.

Conclusion:

The "pro" (as I mistakenly put "con" in the previous round) person has not provided good arguments in the case of defending the stand for legalization of all weapons, including military rank weapons.
Posted by Debating_Horse 6 months ago
Debating_Horse
I think he was being serious.
Posted by Thraxxan 6 months ago
Thraxxan
Debating horse, do you actually willingly take this bait or do you really think this guy is being serious?
Posted by Debating_Horse 6 months ago
Debating_Horse
Awww crap not again!!!!! I put "con" instead of "pro"! Dammit! >:( I wish I looked harder!
Posted by Debating_Horse 6 months ago
Debating_Horse
I am just making a point. You do not need military weapons to protect yourself.
Posted by Pill_Junkie_Monkey 6 months ago
Pill_Junkie_Monkey
Also, "You need a gun to protect yourself from intruders and crime, not for a private military war campaign" Black Water would like a word with you.
Pill_Junkie_Monkey
Lol, if I wanted to kill a bunch of people I'd just build a bomb. Not that hard.