Honeyhoney
jolwen

We Should Not Blame God For Suffering

Honeyhoney

Pro

I myself am a Christian so that means that I may be slightly biased but you may need to bear with me for this as I have to through a lot to reach my conclusion.
We are always asking why God why would he do this to us and so have people like Abraham and Moses and still God gave us no reply but left us to sort it out ourselves and find it out for ourselves. If God gave us a satisfying explanation for suffering we would be able to rationalise pain . For example:
You walk through a hospital ward and you hear screams of pain from a room. Outside the person in pains family are laughing and joking around. You would scream at them 'Do you have a soul?!' and they would reply with the justification of this is the deliver ward and she is having a baby we have a right to be happy. From that you can see that once we can explain and justify pain it does not matter and we are okay with it. We can make peace with the suffering of innocents. Worse than innocents suffering is people watching unmoved. If we understood that would happen we would no longer be bothered by cries and screams, because we would have reason. We would tolerate broken hearts and shattered lives for we could neatly explain them away. As long as the suffering of innocents remains a burning question we still aspire to eliminate it. I don't want God to tell me what to do because I believe that is why we are here on this Earth. I won't leave God to stop suffering or tell me the answer, because he is waiting for us to stop it. That is why we are here on this Earth.
jolwen

Con

First off, I will say that I am agnostic and believe all religions have merit.

Now onto the debate. If we cannot blame God for our earthly suffering, we cannot thank him for the good things that happen to us. We cannot thank God for the new life that was brought to us through birth, winning the lottery or getting into your first choice university. Would you agree this is true based on your premise that God shouldn't be blamed for our suffering?
Honeyhoney

Pro

I can see what you mean, but what I was trying to say was that, yes God does have control over whether we suffer or not, but he chooses not to keep close control on it.
As I said it is up to us whether we stop suffering or choose to ignore it, but in order for us to realise and see that God is here for us through the bumps in life, he shows us hope and love to guide us on our way. So whether you get into your first choice college or win the lottery whatever happens to you God has influenced to show us the true beauty of life and why we should stop suffering ourselves. We can thank God for the beauties in life and when hope seems lost we can turn to him and he always has light to guide us and although there is suffering that I guess, one could argue God did in a round about way create. God doesn't control our lives though we do he keeps a watch and when he needs to he does take control, but for every bad thing in life can we keep on pointing the finger at God? Telling him that it is his fault? When really it should be us taking control, taking risks and showing love and faith.
jolwen

Con

jolwen forfeited this round.
Honeyhoney

Pro

Honeyhoney forfeited this round.
jolwen

Con

jolwen forfeited this round.