We Shouldn't have homework!

Kids should not have homework because it is not necessary. It is just wasting more time doing something that is not necessary. We do not need it because
1) Checking it takes valuable class time
2) Kids cannot handle so much schoolwork with such a little attention span
3) It takes away from family time

I thank Pro for sponsoring this debate and also for providing succinct arguments.

First, there are three arguments for why homework is excellent and ought to continue in modern schools.

1. Homework aids doer-learners.

It is generally accepted that there are three types of learners: those who learn by hearing, those who learn by seeing, and those who learn by doing. While many are content to hear or see instruction of a given subject, some need to actually do it. Thus, homework is beneficial for this latter group because the instruction is learn through action.

2. Homework reinforces instruction.

Although many would probably be thrilled to not have homework, the quality of the education received would certainly suffer if it was removed. Whether the homework is assigned reading, term papers, etc., all of it is designed to reinforce the instruction in the students' minds. After all, those who do their homework are more academically successful than those who do not. I feel that this is a self-evident truth, but I'll leave it Pro to dissuade you.

3. Homework mirrors real-life demands.

After high-school, there are mainly two paths for graduates to take: college or work. For both of these paths, assignments will be allocated and the professors/bosses will except to see them completed. Now, having done homework with deadlines before, graduates are used to these demands and are thus more likely to succeed. But remove homework and students will be unfamiliar with long-term assignments, deadlines, and the like. In short, homework helps to prepare graduates for real-life demands.

I will now refute Pro's arguments:

1. "Checking [homework] takes valuable class time."

No, this is absolutely false. Instructors generally do not grade homework in class because it is a time for teaching, not evaluation. Instructors usually grade in their offices or homes and are paid (by salary) to do so. Class time is seldom, if ever, affected by grading homework. Pro's argument is ridiculous.

2. "Kids cannot handle so much schoolwork with such a little attention span."

Well, this is half-true. Kids do tend to have smaller attention spans compared to adults, but I would answer that the homework is tailored to their ability to perform. Here's what I mean: if a teacher knows that X student can only focus for Y time before pooping on the floor, then said teacher (assuming he/she is smart) will not assign more than X student can handle. Since I have family members who teach middle school, I can testify firsthand that the workload is intended to be manageable. What if it's not? Well, ideally, the kids and their parents complain and either the instructor or principal corrects the problem. Yes, some may refuse to reduce the workload, but that is rare and not a acceptable reason to abolish all homework everywhere. Homework is good, even if it's occasionally abused.

3. "[Homework] takes away from family time."

I find this argument ironic. How long is an average school day? About 6-8 hours. How long does daily homework take to accomplish? 1-2 hours at worst. You see, homework is not the main usurper of family time! Rather, it the length of schools days that's the real culprit. If a student is diligent, there still is ample time for familial interaction.

Also, I find Pro's argument to be laughable simply because students generally avoid socializing with their families. Many would rather play Minecraft, Call of Duty, etc. than sit around the table exchanging stories.

So, to wrap up, I have presented three reasons for why homework is good and have attempted to disprove Pro's arguments. I stand ready for Round 2.

This is why I love debates! Arguing over something! Yay!
Anyway, These websites are where I found my evidence.
While it is true kids would rather avoid their families, most kids have parental time limits on their computer, making it so that they can only be on it for a short period of time. Their parents then make them come have family time.
I am a middle schooler, and I am one of those kids with a short attention span. It is SO HARD to concentrate, when you have a sibling running around the house screaming. Even when she's not around I still have trouble concentrating. I have to take a break and play a video game, or ride my bike before I go back to it.
I myself am a doer-learner. I was in enriched math last year and I am in standard this year. This means I already know how to do the things my teacher is teaching. Generally, I have already finished the worksheet and have to wait for everyone else to catch up.
I don't know where you do/went to school but we waste time checking it in class. This is just from where I have grown up, but I have found it to be generally the same.
We never have homework that lasts more than one night, the ones that do take more than one night, we call those projects, and they are usually due separate from homework to be entered in a contest.
This is why homework is not needed.

I will start by refuting your websites:

1. The link just stated that "too much" homework is bad for kids. It did not advocate for no homework at all. This is an important distinction because this evidence really doesn't support Pro's claim.

2. I could not access the link. Perhaps you copied it wrong? Until it is corrected, I am unable to refute it. Please correct this problem, Pro.

3. The link led me to an opinion piece which really isn't "evidence" because of its inherent subjectivity. I agree with this author that there is such a thing a bad homework. Needless repetition of an easily mastered concept is one. However, for every bad homework, there is one that is provably good. Take mathematics, for instance. The reasons that mathematic homework includes many problems is to test for application of supposedly learns formulas. A student may know that that 1 x -2 = -2, but what is -1 x -2? This simple illustration shows the countless nuanced cases that homework helps students to recognize and solve. In short, good homework is paramount.

Now I will refute the text of your arguments:

1. "While it is true kids would rather avoid their families, most kids have parental time limits on their computer..."

Ah, but what about TVs, Ipods, cell phones, etc.? Also, there plenty of non-electric ways to avoid familial interaction. Given that the average Americans in particular are spending upwards of 6 hours in front of some sort of screen, I think that your argument is outdated and therefore incorrect.

2. "I am a middle schooler, and I am one of those kids with a short attention span."

Wow, I am impressed that you're debating online already. I never researched or argued at your age. Remarkable!

But regarding your argument, I think it falls into being a part-to-whole fallacy. Here's what I mean:
Just because you struggle with homework does not mean that everyone else struggles.

Thus, your argument is far too limited to merit the abolition of homework.

3. "I myself am a doer-learner... I have already finished the worksheet and have to wait for everyone else to catch up."

Good, I believe that your admission actually helps my case. Your worksheet is homework, right? As a doer-learner, you need tangible instruction in order to learn. Therefore, homework is of use to you.

Your personal account bolsters my argument and contradicts your own.

4. "... [We] waste time checking [homework] in class."

I am sorry to hear that. I sympathize for you; I HATE in-class verification.

Now, I was homeschooled throughout high-school, so I got to check my own work (with parental oversight, of course).

As a college student, my professors graded my work outside of class, which is what I think you'll find in both public highschool and college. But maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, I agree with you. In-class verification sucks! It distracts from precious instruction time. Even so, this is not a reason to abolish homework because in-class verification can easily be reformed.

As I like to say, "If there's a wooden sliver in the leg, don't amputate the limb! Pluck it out with tweezers instead!"

Similarly, the problem in in-class verification, not good homework.

I conclude my rebuttal and await Round 3!

I love debates, ever since I read the Theodore Boone series, but it's weird to have someone refer to me as 'Pro' .... Just call me Dragon!
Anyway, homework is a waste, what value does it hold??? I mean we sit there for 7 hours at a desk... My teachers generally try to avoid giving homework, but my math teacher gives us more than we can handle. Being a doer-learner, when she basically sits there and solves the problem and asks us if we got it wrong, I don't have the opportunity to actually DO anything. Therefore, when she assigns homework, I have NO IDEA how to do it. When we go over it in class the next day, she gets mad at me for not understanding it.
The worksheet is not homework in any case, it is just classwork. However, I have never been homeschooled, so I have lots of problems with certain things my parent's can't help me with.
This is all I can provide right now, my laptop is about to die. I will provide more evidence in round 3.

I agree. Debates are awesome!

In formal debate, titles are preferred over names. Thus, I have chosen to refer to you as "Pro".

I appreciate your anecdote. The classwork you have to suffer through is deplorable, but it is not reflective of good homework. As you said, "The worksheet is not homework in any case, it is just classwork." Now, if classwork is truly the problem, why are you abolishing homework? That's called a non sequitur (i.e. logical fallacy) But, as I have consistently maintained, good homework exists and ought not be abolished.

Maybe your school is simply dysfunctional when it comes to assigning proper homework? Even so, one grievance is hardly enough to merit the abolition of all homework in all schools across Earth. After all, I would submit that many student actually learn from good homework.

In short, your experience is irrelevant compared to the myriad of other experiences.

That said, I have shown the value of good homework and have discredited the significance of your anecdote.

No, you will not be able to provide additional evidence because Round 3 is already over.

Thanks for the debate; let the voters now decide!

- Mr. Speaker
Posted by Dragonfire0522 9 months ago
BTW Mr. Speaker I have a life outside of school.... Homework gets in the way, I forgot to mention this! ;-;
Posted by Mr.Speaker 9 months ago

Which school did you attend? Your perception of homework is not only cynical, but provably wrong.

1. Mass-conformity.

What do you mean? How can homework (which is distinct from class) ruin individuality? There lies your greatest flaw. Myriad students are able to complete homework of the fundamental subjects (Math, Reading, Writing, etc.) and still retain the ability to choose their own identities.

2. Submission.

What is wrong with obeying authority? Students do not have to go to school. They can always drop out and struggle more to succeed in live.

3. Group-think.

Again, what's wrong with teamwork? After all, aren't two equal brains better than one? Besides, more homework is assigned as an individual activity, which really reduces the amount of "group-think" imposed.

In short, Snkcake666, you are the owner of an incorrect opinion. I'd advise you to reconsider.
Posted by snkcake666 9 months ago
Yeah, homework reinforces the indoctrination of mass-conformity, submission, and group-think which schools impose.
Vote Placed by Hayd 8 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: I am a part of the Voter's Union. If you have an unvoted debate, submit it to Donald.Keller to ensure one of our members vote on it. Clear win for Con.