iloveher666
DoubleXMinus

We are all Going to Die!

iloveher666

Pro

First let start off by saying
that The things that we do to This Planet and The things we do to each other
we are slowly killing are planet and ourselfs.we have no Jetson future
we will all perish away slowly but shurly in our own demise.
You cant live in denial and ignorance becuase you dont want to see
opean your eyes people
look around
now im not predicting the the end of the would will be nor do i think it will happen in a day
and please do not accept this challenge just to accept it
DoubleXMinus

Con

First… I can't believe you're for the War on Terrorism *Stares at you and shakes her head* Anyway, here we go.

I'm to understand that you think we're all eventually going to die (humanity is going to destroy itself) because of the way we treat our planet (global warming) and the way that we treat each other (wars between countries, murder in society, apathy toward our neighbor and such?) For organizational purposes, I'll go with this and adjust if need be.

1. Global warming.

I must assume that my fellow Texan here (Houston sucks, how can you live there with the weather?) thinks that as we continue to neglect our planet we're going to destroy the fragile ecosystems beyond repair and that is going to result in the Earth being unsuitable for sustaining at least mammalian life… Okay, let's not make this a debate about global warming and just go with that. Although some scientists are saying it's too late to reverse the inevitable path of destruction we've set ourselves upon, I believe it's the general consensus that humanity still has time to act and the Earth still has time to heal.

We have seen evidence of human beings heeding the global warming warnings, paying attention to solutions and implementing more environmentally friendly habits into their every day lives. Example: Greensburg, Kansas. This town was destroyed by a tornado and the people involved are concerned about rebuilding in a way that will better protect their environment against future global warming consequences. What a disaster, and yet they still have the preservation of the environment on their minds, that shows an extraordinary capability to think ahead in the planet's favour.

http://www.cnn.com...

Since we are already displaying this ability to think ahead successfully, the possibility of an imminent extinction of the human race because of the way we treat our planet is continuing to become more unlikely. "We're all going to die eventually because of the way we treat our planet!" No, that's our choice and it remains to be seen.

2. Wars, murder, apathy.

These things have existed since the dawn of mankind and we have only exploded in population and progress since then. Now, you could argue that it's because of that progress in technological warfare that we're all going to kill ourselves, but we've seen evidence that the enhanced destruction capabilities we have obtained have actually prevented more wars and more loss of human life.

Example 1: Japan in World War II. It can be argued that if we hadn't dropped those atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagaski and we had instead sent troops in on foot, that there would have been more loss of human life on both ends before we saw the end of it. (Lol, what a debate in itself, eh? I'm ready to address it further if you choose and at that time there will be links.)

Example 2: The arms race between the US and Russia at the end of WWII. What prevented us from killing one another were those nukes. There was no war because war meant mass destruction, even possible extinction. (Same thing, if you choose to engage I will elaborate and provide sources to back up my opinions.)

My point is, there is no way to prove we're all going to kill ourselves because of the way we treat each other. Little has changed since our beginnings in that respect (we're not all dead yet, right?) and even as we advance, we've seen encouraging precautions in meeting that end. "We're all going to die eventually because of the way we treat one another!" Again, that's our choice and it remains to be seen.
iloveher666

Pro

iloveher666 forfeited this round.
DoubleXMinus

Con

To really think of it, all of Texas sucks, really... You gotta understand the arrogance still embedded because of those ten years it was its own country. Case in point, "The Lone Star State." Out of all of the places I've lived prior to this, I've never seen so much of that state's flag. In fact, while I lived in Utah when I was younger I had to study its flag in a book in order to draw it as assigned...

Next, it's so damn republican around here that I understand better now why the democratic congress is having such a hard time being bipartisan with the republican administration. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth, I'm sure they're taking longer lunches because of that in order to repair themselves.

Finally, the weather. Austin's even hotter than Nevada because of the humidity, I mean -- it makes me long for Arizona! (A place where I used to get sick because of how hot it was and then off for gatorade in mass quanities we went.) It costs you more money, too -- 'cause now all of a sudden you need expensive conditioner so that you'll show yourself in public... (My hair forgot to finish the naturally curly process so now I'm left with its tendency to frizz, you see...) This isn't just unique to Austin, it's humid across a lot of this God forsaken place. Something that is unique to Austin, though (I believe) is bats! Christ, now I fear for my dog, too...

I am unhappy.
iloveher666

Pro

iloveher666 forfeited this round.
DoubleXMinus

Con

... How annoying this is. Why would you think it a good idea to send challenges out and then not come back? Then again! Perhaps she's smartened up and is in the process of moving out of Texas, hmm??
Posted by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
@ DoubleXMinus

I would be glad to debate you on the suckiness (or lack thereof) of Texas. Just send me a challenge.
Posted by SweetBags 9 years ago
SweetBags
wow, pro fofited. i thought this would be interesting to.
Posted by DrAlexander 9 years ago
DrAlexander
DoubleXMinus,
You're a pretty decent debater and all, but your attacks against Houston and Texas are cheap attacks against an entire state..frowns*
You know it's funny, because last time I checked, the best debaters in the nation are from Texas.. Familiar with LD?
Posted by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
Ahh, it's so annoying when someone posts a debate and then forfeits. And so much more so when someone challenges you specifically and then forfeits. This happened to me once. Don't waste people's time. Good points, XX-. iloveher666 (wtf? My next avatar will be nude, I think...) is simply a victim of the "hell in a handbasket" fallacy, as I call it, albeit from a seemingly secular POV. Another one bites the dust...

Britt
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
It's a shame that Pro forfeited. It would have been interesting to see her response to Con's really good points.
Posted by DoubleXMinus 9 years ago
DoubleXMinus
" unpolished than you are in terms of persuasion :P "

Mmm, what an employment of diplomacy. Very nice.
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
Alex,

I'm not sure about R4, but I know that a lot of R3 debates haven't even been finished yet. For the ones that are, the judges are seriously slacking lol... it's been 4+ days since the posting of concluded debates, and yet only one judge has posted a deicision.

Double,

You don't need a whole lot of experience to participate. It's all in good fun! Plus, you'd be surprised at some of the debaters who participate -- a lot of them are a lot less, shall we say, unpolished than you are in terms of persuasion :P

Anyway thanks for the compliment. And about Geek, I have a feeling he'll be back (though he should be pretty easy to spot)...
Posted by DoubleXMinus 9 years ago
DoubleXMinus
I think I might catch the next one, I've only had three debates and outta those have only finished one. I'm afraid for my Manifesto debate because of my very weak introduction, so I'm sure I'd do best to practice a bit more.

Thank you for the compliment, though -- and I very much support the idea of you being there. After all, you're so good it seems you've chased Geek away =)
Posted by DrAlexander 9 years ago
DrAlexander
TheLwerd,
When is round 4 going to be posted?
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
You're a pretty good debater, Double. You should consider joining the next tournament on Facebook :)
Vote Placed by jiffy 9 years ago
jiffy
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by SteamPunk 9 years ago
SteamPunk
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by LaSalle 9 years ago
LaSalle
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by SweetBags 9 years ago
SweetBags
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by DoubleXMinus 9 years ago
DoubleXMinus
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by multislack 9 years ago
multislack
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
iloveher666DoubleXMinusTied