Star23
LogicandReasoning

We are all just conformers to society

Star23

Pro

Conformity is a type of social influence to which a persons behavior and attitude changes in order to fit in with a group. I believe that we are not free in certain ways within society due to the power that the government has over us. I understand certain laws that have been put in place (like it is illegal to take a life or attack someone violently) in order to protect people, however some of the laws that are put in place by the government means that we are just conformers to society.

Reason 1 -Education
As soon as we hit the ages of 4 or 5, we have to legally go to school and be educated. I understand it is important to learn basic things like reading and writing, and society would be all over the place if we didn't but by learning the full national curriculum this is the government having full power over our way of education. The fact that all students have to wear a certain type of uniform, be at school at a certain time and that we have to do things at a certain time just because it routines helps prove the power. In the national curriculum, students learn certain things that may not be a interest to them but yet because the government want us to learn it, we have to sit in class and listen to it. Why do you think so many misbehave in lessons that don't interest them. When students do their GSCEs they feel pressured to do well because media and influences (such as teachers) often promote that if they don't succeed then you are a failure and wont get anywhere in life. So many people who have little or no qualifications can get somewhere in life with their career and provide for their family. So from the age of 4 and 5, we conform to society by going to school until our late teens because this is what the government want. Another point is the fact that government have made it illegal to leave education before the age of 18 but some people may just want to start working at 16. This is just another way that government have power over us.

Reason two - Work and money
In society, it is important to have a job in order to provide for yourself and your family. But part of our wages are taken out every time we get paid so that the taxes are paid. Now I understand that without taxes we wouldn't have things like the NHS however this debate is merely suggesting how we conform and this point shows just how much power the government have over us. We also don't get to choose where part are taxes that we pay go. We may choose to put it towards education or the NHS but alas the government take our money and spend on pointless things often like buying the police certain pieces of clothing (just look at the policeman hat saying) or spending money on promoting cycling (its our right to choose whether we want to ride a bike so if we want to do it we will not just because society has advertised it).

Reason three - Others in society and media
People do certain things because it is the latest trend and everybody else is doing it so why not join in (in critical thinking, this is known as a irrelevant appeal to popularity "just because everyone else it is doing it, it doesn't make it right"). We conform in order to fit in so although we may have our own beliefs about something, we go with what everyone else thinks just so we don't look different. People in media also influence our behavior and as we want to be like them, this means that we copy them. (the model and girls debate).

So to sum up my debate, although I understand why we need certain aspects of education in order to get through life, we just conform to the government because we all have to learn the national curriculum and are pressured to do well in our qualifications. Although taxes are important for important things, I feel the government sometimes waste our money on pointless things and therefore we don't get a say in what we spend our money that we have earnt on. And as a society goes, we just go by what every one is doing in society so that we fit in.
LogicandReasoning

Con

Both a rebuttal and the presentation

(I won't directly quote anything stated by opponent; Presentation attacks all the opponent's arguments)

What about the criminals? Some try to conform to laws written by government. However, what about those who deliberately commited a crime (Not sanctioned by law)? If WE WERE ALL conformers, the prison would be empty.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments.
Star23

Pro

Star23 forfeited this round.
LogicandReasoning

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent forfeited the previous round.

Extend
Star23

Pro

Star23 forfeited this round.
LogicandReasoning

Con

LogicandReasoning forfeited this round.