SnowyOxygen
user_name

We are animals.

SnowyOxygen

SnowyOxygen

Pro

I will be arguing for the following statement: "We are animals". By "we are animals" I mean both philosophically and scientifically.

First round is for acceptance.
Second and third round for debate
Fourth for conclusions

I wish my opponent good luck!

user_name

Con

I will be combining certain things together to create a case against this resolution.

Unlike my opponent, I will be less likely to separate the philosophy from the science as I will be using scientific evidence to back philosophical notions.

I earnestly accept,

user-name.
SnowyOxygen

Pro

I welcome my opponent and thank him for accepting this debate, I hope it will be interesting.

Firstly, let me present a more scientific side of my arguments. For my argument we will assume evolution is a viable theory. Evolution started when the first self replicating molecules formed, and from them evolved millions of species. At the end of this evolutionary tree are the animals, in which you will find "Humans". Humans evolved from animals and are very closely related to chimpanzees which are of course animals. In an evolutionary sense, we are clearly animals.

A lot of people would say that we have a greatly superior intelligence to animals, or that we have articulate language and writing and therefore we are not animals. But how intelligent are we? I mean, of course we are a lot more intelligent than the rest of the animals. But a study has been shown that a chimpanzee's DNA is only 1% different to a humans DNA. So what if an alien that was a lot more intelligent than us but had evolved from the same kind of evolutionary tree came to meet us? Would we be animals compared to it?

In my view stating we are no longer animals is an arrogant statement and is simply not true.
user_name

Con

user_name forfeited this round.
SnowyOxygen

Pro

SnowyOxygen forfeited this round.
user_name

Con

user_name forfeited this round.
SnowyOxygen

Pro

It's unfortunate that my opponent either was not ready or was absent during the debate, I was hoping for an interesting argument and my opponent will unfortunately loose points due to the numerous forfeits. Thank you for accepting at least.

user_name

Con

user_name forfeited this round.
Posted by SnowyOxygen 2 years ago
SnowyOxygen
There is no evidence of men having spirits or souls. Unless you've found some and are ready to recieve a nobel prize?
Posted by user_name 2 years ago
user_name
If you read what cheyenne said your quesiton would be if they have spirit, not soul.
Posted by SamStevens 2 years ago
SamStevens
"Man is spirit , soul , and body." Do neanderthals count as having a soul?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
There is one major difference between us and animals.We can choose and speak words. Convey thoughts between ourselves with words.In Geneses the word says that man became a speaking spirit.Different from all other animals. In fact God gave man dominion over everything else in existence.

Animals are soul and body. Man is spirit , soul , and body.
Vote Placed by Imperfiect 2 years ago
Imperfiect
SnowyOxygenuser_nameTied