LiamKNOW
GoodOleBoy

We can be certain of nothing, not even this statement.

GoodOleBoy

LiamKNOW

Pro

I will be arguing that nothing -- not even our own existence -- can be known with certainty, and that it is possible that murder is morally acceptable, generosity is evil, and that we are currently living on the Moon (to give a few provocative examples).
GoodOleBoy

Con

Everything is real but we are actually in a false reality who are you to prove that we are not actually in a matrix type of state in an allusion of life. I'm taking the mindset of Platonism or the philosophy of Plato stressing especially that actual things are copies of transcendent ideas and that these ideas are the objects of true knowledge apprehended by reminiscence. This is only the beginning let us move on
LiamKNOW

Pro

I'm afraid my opponent mis-understands my contention. I am not asserting Plato's idea of a illusory reality reflective of a higher, transcendent reality. I am claiming that we do not know whether that is true, or anything else is true. Plato claims to know the existence of this higher reality, I say that its existence cannot be determined.
GoodOleBoy

Con

My opponent has given no ideology behind why there is nothing to put it simply. But there are certainties in life born from the mind of our being. Things such as hate love greed and envy are all intrinsic to our beings belief. We are naturally envious and hateful and loving it is not ideas born of necessity for this physical world but ideas born from the mind or being that we occupy and my proof for our minds being real is that no illusion is palpable enough to stop the free thinking of our being thus I have the ability to write this debate all because of my mind, therefore proving it is real. And in summary we have at least onw thing for certain and that is our minds.
LiamKNOW

Pro

LiamKNOW forfeited this round.
GoodOleBoy

Con

No new arguments
LiamKNOW

Pro

LiamKNOW forfeited this round.
Posted by mattcat83 2 years ago
mattcat83
I know with certainty the following proposition: 'I am myself.'
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 2 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
nihilism is nothing but ones own false hope of evading/escaping God's Judgement against their words, thought, and actions.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
deep stuff.........somebody's brain is stuck in neutral........could be too much whacky tobbacky......and I know college professors are actually getting paid 100 grand a year to teach this gibberish as if it's intellignet.
LifeMeansGodIsGood
this is just about the goofiest idea anybody can come up with.........the end of such goofinessl is death, you can be certain of that........and you need to be certain of going to heaven or you certainly are in danger now of hell fire.
Posted by jasonk 2 years ago
jasonk
"We can be certain of nothing."

If you are not certain of this then why are you saying it in the first place? Are you trying to convey some sort of truth to me?
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
Nihilism invalidates itself; if nothing is certain, neither is the principle that nothing is certain. See the issue?

Of course, I've never been convinced entirely by the criticism, because if we acknowledge that nothing is knowable, including principles of logic, then can you really argue against nihilism by using logic?

Deep stuff man.
Vote Placed by Hematite12 2 years ago
Hematite12
LiamKNOWGoodOleBoyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff