tiger.ess
bthr004

We can live exactly by what the bible says?.

Con Tied Pro

tiger.ess

Con

im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate im going to let my opponent begin this debate
bthr004

Pro

The bible as believed to be the word of god, is series of passages that equate to larger stories of events believed by followers to have truly existed.

My opponent evidently took stock in my counter from a seperate page on this site,.. where I countered someones accusation that it was a myth that the bible says one cannot be gay,.. or that it was wrong to be homosexual by the word of god,.. to which I gave this counter point:>>>>>

As a matter of fact in the book of Genensis,.. the story of "soddom and gommorah," is that homosexual acts are "wickedly," and god destroys half the city because of the rampent homosexual behaviors.
Genesis 19:5-9

Lev 18:22-23 "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination." Lev 20:13 "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death." 1 Cor 6:9 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals" 1 Tim 1:9-10 "realizing the fact that (civil) law is not made for a righteous man, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers" Rom 1:26-27 "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error."

What were you saying about homosexuality considered not a sin in the bible?

<<<< These were a list of passages that clearly state that homosexuality is a sin according to the bible.

Now the topic of debate, " We can live exactly by what the bible says?." suggests that "we" as "followers" of the bible have the "ability" to live exactly by what the bible says. However, followers of a different religion or even those of none, could not perhaps "live" by what the bible says particulary because it goes against their own religion or personal convictions.

I am going to choose the platform that my opponent means "we" as in followers of the bible can live exactly by what the bible says. I now have to present the case that followers of the bible, in believing that the stories and passages translate into the meaning and intent of gods will, and/or word.

The bible gives several passages to suggest what is considered the right way to live, and which are the wrong way to live. Christians believe that people that live in sin, or commit acts of sin, must ask for forgiveness and truly "REPENT."

Repent by defintion, means as follows:

to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life.
www.merriam-webster.com

So as "followers/believers," one must not only attempt not to sin but truly repent one's sins after it has been commited,... EXACTLY as the bible, or word of god suggests.
tiger.ess

Con

You have obviously no read the topic of this debate properly. Can we live exactly by what the bible says. Not if homosexuality is acceptable or not.
bthr004

Pro

Hmm,.. perhaps you no read so good!

I used homosexuality and the LIFE style required to live as a homosexual as a catalyst to my point that believers in the bible as the word of god, not only can live by, but must live by the bible, or else they are not true followers at all.

Again please re-read ALL of my first round debate.
tiger.ess

Con

Hmm,.. perhaps you no read so good!
Hmm,.. maybe you need a grammar lesson.
So you are telling me that you have NEVER lied, NEVER wanted your neighbors property, NEVER had sick thoughts, NEVER had sex before marriage?
"He who has never sinned cast the first rock"
bthr004

Pro

I see you fail to understand sarcasm,.. as I was attempting to point out your editing job in your debate opening round 2 in which you said:"You have obviously NO read the topic of this debate properly."

I believe you are the one who NO read.

I have sinned, yes. As a follower of christianity and the old testiment, I have understood that these sins are of mortal weakness, however, it is ones responsibilty as true follower of the bible to repent ones sins.

1. I am the Lord your God
2. thou shall have no other gods before me
3. You shall not make for yourself an idol
4. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God
5. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
6. Honor your father and mother
7. You shall not murder*
8. You shall not commit adultery
9. You shall not steal***
10.You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
You shall not covet your neighbor's house
You shall not covet your neighbor's wife

The Ten Commandements, though not the only guide to defining sins,.. are the most basic principles. If you read all ten and feel that it is in FACT IMPOSSIBLE, physically, emotionally IMPOSSIBLE, to attempt to live freely of those sins, and if commiting a sin, then asking forgiveness and REPENTING said sin,... EXACTLY AS THE BIBLE SAYS WE MUST,.. than you as a "we," meaning follower of the bible, cannot be considered a true follower of the bible at all.

But,.. "WE" defined as a follower of the bible pointed out in the first rounds,.. must not only ATTEMPT to live exactly by the Bible, but MUST live exactly by the Bible if you are in fact a "WE," defined as a follower of the bible.

No different than one calling themselves a vegetarian but eating meat, not just one occasion but again and again, eating meat. You can try calling yourself a vegetarian, and even eat meat as slip of consiousness, and then repent for eating that meat, and never eat meat again, then you in fact ARE a vegetarian.

Same principle applies to those who follow the Bible as the word of GOD.
tiger.ess

Con

"feel that it is in FACT IMPOSSIBLE, physically, emotionally IMPOSSIBLE, to attempt to live freely of those sins"
my opponent has just stated that he agrees with me
bthr004

Pro

Again,.. you no read so good.

If you read all ten and feel that it is in FACT IMPOSSIBLE, physically, emotionally IMPOSSIBLE, to attempt to live freely of those sins, and if commiting a sin, then asking forgiveness and REPENTING said sin,... EXACTLY AS THE BIBLE SAYS WE MUST,.. than you as a "we," meaning follower of the bible, cannot be considered a true follower of the bible at all.

If YOU as in anyone that sides with con feels its impossible to live exactly by what the bible says, than you as a "we" in the topic of this VERY debate than you are not a believer in the bible. Simple as that. Please re-read the whole statement and stop cutting and pasting in the middle of my statements and purposely re applying them out of context,.. the voters are smarter than that and can read for themselves.
tiger.ess

Con

tiger.ess forfeited this round.
bthr004

Pro

My opponent challenged me to this debate, then made 5 rounds. Why? Way to long.

My opponent has NOT even given one counter point to back up her side/ platform. Surely the voters that view this debate will have the good sense to vote for PRO, simply because I structured and delivered the best points to back my side in this debate.
Posted by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
The bible is a guide,.. a direction if you will,.. everything in it has meaning. There are many versions and translations in the bible,.. it was after all translated into text by people. I personally am against the death penalty,.. but it exists and the similarity between what the laws of man and laws of the bible state, are relatively similar.

But if you are looking for a specific way to kill someone or something that is "working" for Satan,.. I dont know,.. hit them in the head with something heavy I guess.
Posted by jellyphish 8 years ago
jellyphish
You are obviously not addressing the debate. If we are to live "exactly" as the bible states, and that was your contention, then we simply have to live according to the text. The line "but you shall surely kill him; your own hand shall start first to put him to death..." does not leave much room for capital punishment to be instituted purely by the state. You can try to find "meaning" in it however you choose, but the law is the law. If we live according to the "exact" letter then you and i are instructed to kill, and not just in Deut, i could point on many such lines where you specifically are instructed to do the killing (primarily through stoning, which is much different than electrocution i might add). So, again, as the debate is about living "exactly", how would you propose we begin to get rid of the heathens?
Posted by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
It is the policy of Satan to try to lead us to evil by those whom we love, whom we least suspect of any ill design, and whom we are desirous to please, and apt to conform to. The enticement here is supposed to come from a brother or child, who are near by nature; from a wife or friend, who are near by choice, and are to us as our souls. But it is our duty to prefer God and religion, before the nearest and dearest friends we have in the world. We must not, to please our friends, break

God's law. Thou shalt not consent to him, nor go with him, not for company, or curiosity, not to gain his affections. It is a general rule, If sinners entice thee, consent thou not, Pr 1:10. And we must not hinder the course of God's justice. (De 13:12-18)

Remember most societies already do carry out capital punishment for those that do not obey the laws,.. laws that are also defined and encouraged in the bible.
Posted by jellyphish 8 years ago
jellyphish
I'm all up for living exactly as the Bible says, tell me Pro, how should i proceed with Deuteronomy 13:6-9? How would you suggest i go about killing them?
Posted by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
After Con post 1, I defaulted Pro.
Posted by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
I am glad someone on this site has brains!! Go look at some of my other debates and vote like that as well. I am losing one right now, and the guy says that we wasnt even expecting me to put up an actual arguement, then forfeited the next rounds, the debate was "meat and dairy production and consumption is necessary."
Not popular yes, but I actually put forward an arguement and finished the debate,.. still losing though, grrr!!
Posted by GaryBacon 8 years ago
GaryBacon
I agree with Con that we cannot live exactly by what the bible says. However, there was no real argument put forth from that side, so I had to vote Pro.
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 5 years ago
GaryBacon
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Although I think that it truly is impossible to live exactly by what the bible says, Con really did not demonstrate this at all. So I agree with Con's statement, but Pro gets my vote.
Vote Placed by solo 8 years ago
solo
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by ally93 8 years ago
ally93
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by lukepare 8 years ago
lukepare
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by matthewleebrown14 8 years ago
matthewleebrown14
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by worldskye 8 years ago
worldskye
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 8 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
tiger.essbthr004Tied
Vote Placed by brian_eggleston 8 years ago
brian_eggleston
tiger.essbthr004Tied