Illegalcombatant
laleona89

We can't know anything for certain

Illegalcombatant

Illegalcombatant

Con

The claim is "We can't know anything for certain"

My opponent will argue for this claim

I am the con , So I will be arguing "We can know something for certain"
laleona89

Pro

We cannot know anything for certain because there always be someone who contradicts you, no matter what what you say will never be true for someone else.
Example:
If you tell me that you know for sure that your name is Sean, well I can tell you that if one day I call you Nicholas then your name is Nicholas.

If you tell me that you know for sure that you are alive, how do you know it's not just a dream and that when you wake up, if you wake up, you'll be dead.

I can and will argue every thing you tell me to prove you can't know anything for sure.
Illegalcombatant

Con

Thank you for responding to my debate..........

As stated I am arguing that we can know something for certain which refutes your claim of we can't know anything for certain

"We cannot know anything for certain because there always be someone who contradicts you, no matter what what you say will never be true for someone else". (whether something can be known is NOT dependent on if some one else dis agrees with you)

You have given other situations where knowledge is not certain, I will concede those situations, but you have to concede that just because there are some situations where knowledge is not certain does NOT prove all situations equal knowledge is uncertain

I have 2 questions for you...........

you claim "I can and will argue every thing you tell me to prove you can't know anything for sure."

1) So am I correct to believe that I can be certain you will disagree with me on everything I say ?

2) You claim we can't know anything for certain , are you certain of this claim ?
laleona89

Pro

laleona89 forfeited this round.
Illegalcombatant

Con

I hope I don't win by forfeit......

Extend my arguments to this round
laleona89

Pro

laleona89 forfeited this round.
Illegalcombatant

Con

Noooooooooooooooo not win by forfeit
laleona89

Pro

I didn't mean to forfeit this 2 past rounds, but honestly I couldn't think of anything to answer you that would make sense to me, but no, I was not certain when I said "I can and will argue every thing you tell me to prove you can't know anything for sure." But I was hoping I could you know? In my debating club at school, my teacher actually did argue against everything I said. In class he asked us if it was possible to know something that was 100% certain or true. We tried to argue everything we thought was 100% true and he actually did, he kind of made me wonder if anything would ever be 100% certain or true. So, I'm sorry for for forfeiting the past two rounds, and I think (not sure) you won this debate. But still I know that there is not something I can think of that is a 100% true. Can you think of something that is a 100% percent true. I want an honest answer from you, do you believe that there is something that is a 100% certain or true? If you say yes, which things? And if you say no, then why did you start this debate if you didn't believe it yourself? I know sometimes in debate you have to argue for a side or topic you don't agree with, but in this one you got to choose your side, WHY?
Illegalcombatant

Con

As far as your teacher goes, I would ask him the same question I asked you and that is......

You claim that we can't know anything for certain, are you certain of this ?

You still haven't answered this question.

Pro said

"But still I know that there is not something I can think of that is a 100% true"

So Pro is claiming to "know" that Pro knows that their is nothing Pro can know

Pro asks me if I know anything for sure, ok.......

I can know that any claim that all knowledge is uncertain is false. How do I know this you ask ?

Lets see what happens if it is indeed the truth that all knowledge is uncertain and we accept this as true.

1) All knowledge is uncertain
2) Therefore any claim that any knowledge is certain MUST be false
3) If it must be false, then we can be certain that it is false

Conclusion: Therefore we can be certain that knowledge is uncertain

1) All knowledge is uncertain
2) We can't be certain about premise 1
3) Therefore its possible that there is knowledge that is certain
4) No knowledge can be certain due to premise 1

Therefore: We are certain that all knowledge is uncertain

The conclusions refutes the claim that "all knowledge is uncertain"

In short, claiming to know that knowledge is unknowable is self refuting

So I ask Pro again, You claim we can't know anything for certain , are you certain of this claim ?
laleona89

Pro

IF you say that all KNOWLEDGE IS UNCERTAIN then your knowledge of everything is uncertain, like your knowledge of all knowledge being uncertain is uncertain.

You just contradicted your self by saying that all knowledge is uncertain.

I can't even be certain about what I just said but I believe I'm certain, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF I AM!!!!!!!!

So my point is that maybe you can be certain of ANYTHING, but at the same time it's not certain.
Vote Placed by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
Illegalcombatantlaleona89Tied