nmgdebate2
Normerican

We don't have enough evidence to say without a reasonable doubt that sexual orientation is a choice.

nmgdebate2

Pro

My simple statement is that we do not have enough evidence to say without a reasonable doubt that sexual orientation is a choice. There may be some evidence, but it is not definitive. I believe this will put the burden of proof on the Con debater. First round is for acceptance. In the second round I will lay out what I believe constitutes evidence that goes beyond a reasonable doubt. The Con debater will then be charged with finding a study that meets these standards. Or he/she can challenge them by presenting a study that does not meet all the standards, explaining why he/she believes it does not have to meet the standards it did not meet. The debate will continue from there.
Normerican

Con

I accept my opponent's challenge to discuss whether or not sexual orientation is a choice.
nmgdebate2

Pro

Thank you for accepting. OK, here are my standards:
1. The study must include a control group. In this context, a control group would be a group of people who do not identify with the certain sexual orientation the study is studying. For example, if they study is studying gays, they must also bring in non-gays to make sure that any similarities found in the gay group are not present in the non-gay group. The same goes for other sexual orientations.
2. The similarities found must be substantial. This one can sort of be excused, but not entirely. I would prefer a study that finds similarities that could actually be related to sexual orientation (DNA, stuff in the brain, etc), rather than possibly irrelevant stuff (e.g. similarities in the inner ear, feet, etc.).
3. Finally, the studies need to be detailed. If they find similarities, they need to say in how many of the test subjects. They also need to say how it was different (or not different) from the control group, and to what degree.
Those are my standards. You can meet them or challenge them. I prefer you respond with a study regardless of with option you choose.
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
nmgdebate2

Pro

nmgdebate2 forfeited this round.
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
nmgdebate2

Pro

nmgdebate2 forfeited this round.
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
nmgdebate2

Pro

nmgdebate2 forfeited this round.
Normerican

Con

Normerican forfeited this round.
Posted by nongambler48 1 year ago
nongambler48
I believe that males are naturally attracted to females and visa versa for the purpose of procreation.
therefore we are created to be attracted to the opposite of our gender,
therefore "choice" isn't a option.
however the attraction between male and male and female and female isn't natural because when sex is involved it doesn't produce offspring
and therefore it is reasonable to say that it is a choice people make in order to satisfy their own desires which do not involve procreation.
Posted by Guffrus 1 year ago
Guffrus
I reject the entire premise of the debate on the basis that it is irrelevant and bigoted. Whether or not a persons sexual orientation is a choice, genetics, environment or whatever is none of your business.
It does not matter why a person is the way they are or what the motivation behind their thoughts actions and attitudes is. All human beings have a fundamental right to live however they like so long as their actions do not cause physical harm to others or their property and homosexuality or bisexuality does not breach these conditions.
There is potentially scope for this question and enquiry to be valid and of use to humans but not within the context of political debate.
If you want to repost this debate in the science section feel free to do so but by posting this question in this forum you are fundamentally framing the issue in terms of rights and criminality and I will not stand idle and tolerate such bigoted behaviour. We are past this issue, rights have been established and enshrined in law, certainly in the majority of places in the western world and we are not back peddling and devolving for you.