Photographer
Beachgirly

We don't need 'teachers/schools' to access subjects in order to achieve.

Beachgirly

Photographer

Pro

The Internet is basically the modern version of 'High School & University'.

Schools, Colleges and Universities, are in my opinion “no good” in terms of gaining knowledge from different sectors. For example: in order to achieve an A* for English, you’d have to revise from your textbooks & also making sure that you’re attending to school everyday. Psychologically, it puts an extensive amount of pressure on you, due to the existence of other subjects. It’s hard to revise for an exam, and also to finish coursework for other subjects.

I’m all for education, but I believe that we can achieve a much higher level of knowledge through the Internet/online, and not by going to Schools, Colleges and Universities. The Internet is an engine that contains all the database that even schools and libraries don’t have. In-fact, Schools & Uni rely on the Internet every single day to provide students with new and better information.

Do anyone disagree?

Beachgirly

Con

My opponent has stated that we don't need schools/teachers for us to progress educationally...Well to me he is saying that we do not need a guide/mentor in our lives that contorts their teaching habits to benefit every student so they can they can learn the curriculum.

Computers do not replace a human teacher, they simply tell you a bunch of excess information that is usually unwanted/unneeded. They do not challenge you, nor conforms to your level of understanding.

By saying that we do not need schools, is basically setting up our social life for failure... By being in a school where a wide range of kids are, that have different personalities, different thoughts and opinions, makes us ready for the real world where we are going to be constantly faced with even a wider range of people.. That are in different social classes (just like in school with your pops,jocks,geeks ect.). By being faced withe things in school we will be prepared and not wind up being socially awkward.

Going back to the teacher thing, we NEED them the are not just teaching us reading, writing, arithmetic but they are teaching us life skills, they share their stories with us so we can gain some kind of knowledge from it.

Here is a debate I did on something like this http://www.debate.org...
Photographer

Pro

Learn what curriculum? These are courses offered by an educational institution and that being said, these subjects can be self-taught easily through access to libraries where they have all the different levels of textbooks to match your understanding.

In terms of guidance and having the need for a mentor, it's not necessarily important. It's like saying to a friend 'lets do geography, because that teacher 'teaching style' is great. Regardless of someone's way of teaching, it's more benificiery of you can teach yourself the same things that a teacher might teach you.

The Internet is a valuable source. You honestly don't need 'school', if you've got the Internet. For example: there's only limited amount of topics that you may learn in your History classes in the spam of 5 years. Maybe 7 topics max. However, on the Internet, you can easily revise & digest info into your brains by going all the way back to the introduction of cosmology.

Ok, you've lost the plot completely in the area of personality and social classes. School is probably the only place where you're not able to 'socially interact with others of different personal, due to teachers & their 'rules' (no talking in class!) etc.

In order to improve your communication skills and the urge to avoide awkward situations, you would have to 'opt' out of your working environment and shift into dissimilar environment. This is done to transform that inner ability to socialise with people of different background, ethnicity and personality.

(Teachers) They're teaching us 'life skills'? For example...

Life skills are taught in training and other specialist environments, and are completely different to the 'teachings' of 'teachers/staff'. Life skills are in the 'essence' of life. There are homeless kids in Africa, who are starving to death. They've self-taught themselves the ultimate skill.It's called 'survival'. Guess what? They didn't ave to go to a school.

Beachgirly

Con

Well what does nit talking have to do with anything? You can talk to peers before school, during passing periods, at lunch and after school. Now if we had our faces in front of computer all day, we would not go out and mingle.
For example:
One of my good friends that I met in 6th grade was blossoming into a social butterfly, and she earned great grades because we had a great teacher and the kids in our school were so easy talk to. But no she is attending a Charder School that she only attends for 2 days a week,she is stuck in a class room with a no talking rule , and they don't even have a lunch period for themselves. In the mean time she is at home on her computer, she teaches herself from the internet. And when ask her a question about something she has learned from the internet she will respond with a educated answer... BUT she knows only half of what she is saying.. She basically says what she read off of some website. So she really isn't retaining any information.

Now by using her as an example I was hoping to make a real life example...

And what I mean by teacher can be our guide, is that teachers are humans and we can have relationship/bond with them, we can develop a form of respect for them and by having respect for will make us strive to make them happy by geting good grades, or at least TRYING. Teachers can be our parent in school. The teach us manors, and all sorts of things needed for daily life... Can a computer do that? Can you have a bond with a computer? Can computer teach you manours and how to become a better person? I think not!! :)

And I sincerely apologize if I was going topic with the whole teacher respect/bond thing.
Photographer

Pro

My opponent has taken my argument out of context. “Now if we had our faces in front of computer all day, we would not go out and mingle.” - I haven’t stated anything that would make someone think like that. My initial argument was that, the Internet is a more powerful ‘education’ source than schools. It’s up to the individual to stare at the computer by randomly entering irrelevant websites. Just like it’s up to the individual to pay any attention at school - which maybe the cause of his/her failure to achieve the grades they need in order to progress.

Response to your example with precise illustration.

In relation to your ‘friend’, that was a ‘definite’ weak example with no reference to any logical proof. “She knows only half of what she is saying.. "She basically says what she read off of some website. So she really isn't retaining any information.” - Learning is a skill, it’s essential to life in any given circumstance. It could be the case that, she doesn’t know how to make good use of the Internet, or doesn’t research properly. For example: if she’s asked a question about ‘9/11’, and was told share her opinions, then she would have to research from different sources & not just ‘one’. There are always two sides to an argument, but it’s not up to an individual to pick a side. It’s their responsibility to research what both parties are saying, and then making a clear & structural evaluation of your own opinion (with reference to precise examples).

Making a bond is irrelevant:

Creating a bond with teachers can be helpful, but it won’t magically help you get the grades that you want. Teachers gets paid for education students the national ‘basic/advance’ levels of different subjects. They’re not here to make friendship although some might think that’s the case due to the ‘respect’ they show you.

Computers are machines & it don’t have emotions. There are no stress, as PC’s doesn’t have the ability to put you under pressure by being aggressive. It’s obvious that humans can’t make bonds with machines, but they can certainly ‘fall in love’ with it’s functionality - which includes - access to the Internet & the liberty to express your opinions worldwide.

Beachgirly

Con

"Making a bond is irrelevant"
All I can say is wow...

Anyways getting back on topic, Self teaching isn't the most efficient way of teaching... I mean people that go to school self teach themselves, but the have that **STABLE** platform to build off of. People in general can not build a self platform, they can only build off of it once it is established. Otherwise they would do one thing wrong and it would have a domino effect in the long run. Lets say the self taught themselves math, and they made a mistake somewhere that was never caught.. After a long time of doing that thing wrong you will be sure that's the way its done. It's kinda like practice make's perfects...UNLESS YOUR DOING IT WRONG.

I think that computers are a great teaching tool "But" they can not teach us the way teachers can.
And I am assuming you have a thing with school so that's why you are so bent on this idea...
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
Okay, I was pretty dissapointed with this debate. Both sides had ample arguments that could've been made but weren't. But with that in mind, I end up voting pro. From what I'm seeing of the debate, the end results of how the debate is breaking down is on whether or not the internet can provide the same information as a teacher can. And I feel that the Pro is sufficiently proving that a) the internet can provide more information to students than teachers can and that b) regardless of what's teaching them, their job to correctly learn the material hasn't changed at all. The B point specifically de-links a lot of the arguments con made in the round, which is why I inevitably give my ballot to pro.

But con...This debate could've been so much easier for you if you had brought up one point: would students be motivated to learn on their own if some teacher wasn't teaching it to them and forcing them to learn it? Because I know that if it were up to me, I wouldn't want to be learning the Four Laws of Thermodynamics or how to solve for the spring constant of a 20 meter spring. At this point, we wouldn't be learning because nobody would want to. School teachers are the only way that we get students to learn what they need. If you had brought up this point during the round, I can guarentee my ballot would've been different, because this point is just true.

But besides that, that's how I voted.
Vote Placed by Doulos1202 5 years ago
Doulos1202
PhotographerBeachgirlyTied
Reasons for voting decision: not that hot of a debate, kind of topical but pro did not hold BOP.
Vote Placed by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
PhotographerBeachgirlyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had BOP. Pro argued an internet-learning model. Con said schools provide other social skills to children. The question I now wanted answered was - in order to achieve what? Grades? Or life skills? Pro should have clarified this about the motion. Con also rebutted pro's point that the internet is a reliable source and pointed out the problem of self-correction, however, this argument was later than I would have hoped, and she distracted pro with meaningless examples. Narrow neg win.
Vote Placed by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
PhotographerBeachgirlyTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
PhotographerBeachgirlyTied
Reasons for voting decision: i do not feel like voting, but you cannot make good internet sites unless people get educated...
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
PhotographerBeachgirlyTied
Reasons for voting decision: the pro seemed to forget that the debate was that teachers cannot teach us everything, and instead thought the debate was that teachers can be replaced with computers. Other than that pro offered no physical evidence to support anything and was speaking primarily off of his own opinions. Con debunked his arguments that were already off topic, so arguments go to her, as well as sources since she was the only one who used any. Lastly grammar went to the con (see pro end of round 1, does not do)