Vatsal569
Tophatdoc

We failed as a humanity.

Vatsal569

Pro

Look at this from a third persons point of view, like a person who does not belong to this planet. What do we, as a race, require for survival? Food, a shelter to protect us from everything outside, and a right to a healthy life. Most of the people wouldn't survive without any of the above and will eventually die. So let's say that these are the most basic human rights. And a big chunk of our population (the country is irrelevant) has been denied these things. Reason? Money. Just because they don't have enough of (high value) currency means that they don't deserve a life. So if you want to be a "deserving" owner of your basic rights, you need a "respectable" job and proper education to get the job. Now lets think about it, what is the basic purpose of education? The basic reason why we need an education system is that many people before us have been successful in knowing things about things, which took them a lot of time, and that this knowledge is useful for the survival of any person on this planet. Further, we educate so that the person can have enough knowledge about a certain thing that he can apply his knowledge to help our system or for basic and advanced research purposes. What our education system does is that it teaches the students to "pass" each subject with enough marks so that the student can continue with his schooling for the next year. Yes, there are exceptions as always, but most of the exceptions cost a lot of money. And then the person needs a job. There he worries about things like competition, recession and the idea of "only best survive" is constantly fed to everyone. So if an engineer does a lot of work, he is paid 10 times the money than say a construction worker who does the same amount of work without the education. And then we have religion. Don't you think it's funny that after so many years of evolution (I wouldn't know how many because we still haven't come to a common consensus on that) we still cannot decide if there is a God, and if there is a God, we don't know which one. People are actually proud about how diverse cultures are. I mean there are literally thousands of religion with their own sets of believes. To each his own indeed. Why not question it? Why not argue? Yes there are arguments, there are arguments everywhere. But there is never any conclusion. And we have boundaries. The world is completely divided. Divided by continents, countries, states, cities, towns and what not? And we are constantly fed with one idea, the place where we live is the greatest place to live in. Patriotism, I think, is a dumb idea. You'd be proud about your region because you were born there, and you would be proud about another region if you were born there? People go on citing examples of how great their own country is and what great people lived her. I say I am proud about a good human deed, irrespective of where it happened. We have governments protecting those boundaries. A set of people who decide how the countries will work (I personally think democracy is a hoax). That's a lot of responsibility if you ask me (Though I do agree I have little argument against the policy of governments). So if a set of say 200 people agree on one thing, a country with billions of people are expected to agree. Also add to this the destruction of the environment. I mean this is one thing, if destroyed completely will literally destroy us. But aren't we too blinded to worry about it? Hell, who cares about environment? We need money! There are many more things I could point out. But what I think is that, we are used to this system. We have been following this system since so long, that anything beyond the system is almost scary. We are fed with certain ideas when we are toddlers. They are rooted deep within us, so much so that we stop questioning these ideas and just play along, because we were asked to (There are always exceptions). I think most of our priorities are completely misguided and pointless. So if a group of pirates raid a ship which is full of food, I think it is justifies because they did not have food and they need food. Yes we've come a long way ahead from where we started. Yes we have better infrastructure, more knowledge, better life, better everything. But what use is it, if we cannot even provide food to everyone who needs it? I mean one person has so much that he literally does not know what to do with all the resources given the fact that with the amount of resources that person has would be enough for 100 people to survive comfortably."We learn from history, that we never really learn anything from history". I think we failed terribly, and it has almost come to a point of permanent destruction.

I do realize here, that I present a very bleak perspective on things, and that there are always exceptions. But I do think our system is full of faults very difficult to correct without complete chaos.
Tophatdoc

Con

I would like to thank Pro for hosting this debate. I would also like to welcome him to DDO since this appears to be his first debate. I as Con only have to show that humanity has not failed. Pro has the burden of proof of showing that humanity has failed. I will do my opening arguments first then I will address my opponent claims in Round 2.

1. "We Failed as a Humanity" - No Standard to Measure Failure

The resolution claims that humanity has failed. But failed at what? According to what standard do we definitively measure failure? My opponent has not once in his first round argument presented this statement. It is a comparative statement since human beings think comparatively. To suggest failure suggests that there was previously a better time. This time has not been presented by my opponent. I will have to assume he is claiming failure measured by his own ideals of how the world is supposed to work because he offered no standard to measure failure. Pro only offers reasons why humanity as failed. Humanity has not failed if we have no way to measure failure.

2.Humanity is certainly not failed.

A significant amount of the world's States are democracies or liberal democracies with universal suffrage[1]. This was not the case a century ago when the world was filled with monarchies and other authoritarian forms of governs. 84% of the world's population is literate[2]. This was not the case a century ago. Child birth has been perfected[3]. The dangers of the mother and child when the mother is in labor is almost non-existent.

It is a rarity to here about people dying of mass starvation in developed countries. It is a rarity that a plague or dangerous infection breaks out.

People in today's time don't have to work a few blocks from their house. Nor do they have to live with or near their parents for the rest of their lives. Cars, boats, and airplanes allow people to travel wherever they wish. In today's time, people can move to wherever they wish practically. An American can move to Brazil. A Lithuanian may move to France. People can almost immigrate to any where they wish if they take the time to set out a plan.

Even right here on the Internet someone can look up any information they choose with in a few clicks. Humanity has not failed, this is the highest point of humanity's history.

[1]http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
[2]http://www.theglobeandmail.com...
[3]http://jama.jamanetwork.com...
Vatsal569

Pro

Vatsal569 forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Con

Extend all arguments.
Vatsal569

Pro

Vatsal569 forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Con

Tophatdoc forfeited this round.
Vatsal569

Pro

Vatsal569 forfeited this round.
Tophatdoc

Con

Tophatdoc forfeited this round.