ethopia619
rogue

We, humans, can not teleport

rogue

ethopia619

Pro

Inform:

Round 1: Just accept the debate
Round 2: Arguments
Round 3: Summarize and Conclude
rogue

Con

You cannot say that humans cannot teleport because you are then denying the possibility. There is always a possibility for something to happen. Maybe humans can teleport, we just don't know how.
ethopia619

Pro

Funny, I never posted 5 rounds. Must be a glitch. Do whatever you want in the debate.

Anyway, welcome to Debate.org! For your benefit, I will list my arguments in each category:

Counter Arguments

1) "There is always a possibility for something to happen."False. Remember the theory about all the computers shutting down? Never happened.

2) You stated, "Maybe humans can teleport, we just don't know how." You stated "Maybe." You are unsure. Yes, we DON'T know how. We CANNOT teleport.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Arguments

1) Dimensional teleportation is impossible. They are complete fantasy.

2) You cannot travel the speed of light. Therefore, we cannot teleport.

1) http://en.wikipedia.org...

2) http://en.wikipedia.org...
Comments

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I wish her good luck. I rest my case. Thank you.
rogue

Con

You did not specify in the beginning what kind of teleportation it was that we were debating so the argument about dimensional teleportation is irrelevant. I am debating the statement "Humans cannot teleport." I did say maybe which implies a possibility, and if there is a possibility, you cannot conclude that something cannot occur absolutely. You cannot absolutely prove a negative. Your argument about all computers shutting down is also irrelevant because 1. That has nothing to do with our debate, and 2. Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't.
ethopia619

Pro

Greetings, Con,

Counter Arguments

1) You stated, "You did not specify in the beginning what kind of teleportation it was that we were debating so the argument about dimensional teleportation is irrelevant."
Teleport- to transport (a body) by telekinesis.
You could argue about the different kinds of teleportation.

2) You stated, "I did say maybe which implies a possibility, and if there is a possibility, you cannot conclude that something cannot occur absolutely. " Yes, I could conclude that something cannot occur absolutely. Watch me. I will state that I will fly and hit Pluto, the dwarf planet. Did that happen? No. Therefore, your argument is entirely false.

3) You stated, "Your argument about all computers shutting down is also irrelevant because 1. That has nothing to do with our debate, and 2. Just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it couldn't." It has something to do with the debate.
You stated in round 1, "There is always a possibility for something to happen." This is false. There was a theory about all PCs having a shutdown. Did this every happen? No. If you still don't understand what I mean, I am happy to explain it to you in round 4.
Arguments

1) Anything that has mass cannot travel the speed of light. Therefore, we cannot travel the speed of light, so, we cannot time travel.

1) http://dictionary.reference.com...

2) http://www.google.com...

3) Physics
Comments

I thank my opponent for this entertaining debate. Con is doing a pretty good job. Nice work!
rogue

Con

In reference to the computers shutting down, there was a possibility and still is. We can conclude that there is no possibility that that happened then, but we cannot conclude that it is impossible to happen. Actually, there is a possibility that you could fly into the dwarf planet Pluto. Unless you specify a way and time at which this event will occur, which will then be proved absolutely by it either occurring or not in the passage of time, there is no way to prove something cannot occur. Again, you cannot absolutely say that you cannot fly into Pluto, make all the computers shut down, or teleport because you do not know if there is a way to do so. The possibility of the way of doing so conflicts with the absolute statement "Humans cannot telelport".
ethopia619

Pro

Hello, Con,

To clarify about the computers shutting down, I will explain that this was a theory. On October 1, 2004,all of the computers will shut down. Did this happen on October 1, 2004? No. This did not.

To clarify about myself hitting Pluto, I will restate that. I will state that I will fly to Pluto, eat 456 grilled cheese sandwiches, and slam myself with a book in 5:04 PM, Friday, December 3, 2010. Has this happened? No.
My opponent has not refuted many of my arguments, such as the physics concepts.

Logic
________________________________________________________________________________________________

I than my opponent for this exciting debate.
rogue

Con

In addressing the physics concept, science is constantly changing what they accept as laws and theories. Therefore in the future it is possible that they will change the law:Anything that has mass cannot travel the speed of light. Therefore, we cannot travel the speed of light, so, we cannot time travel. Also, maybe there is a way to get around the principle, we just don't know it. Also, I don't think teleportation is necessarily time travel. You must understand that there is a possibility for anything to happen at any time. The passage of time will tell what WILL happen, but there are infinite things that COULD happen. Just because we don't know how something could happen doesn't mean that it can't. For a long time it was thought that a human could never set foot on the soon because the didn't know how, but it did happen and there was always a possibility it could happen. As for your examples of the computers and your whole argument about flying into Pluto, there was always a possibility that they could happen. Are they likely to happen? No. But we aren't debating probability. You couldn't be sure that those things could happen before they happened. Until you can see the future, you can not be sure of anything that can happen. Therefore, it is possible that we could find a way to make humans teleport which makes it possible. If you do not know for sure that it is not possible, then you cannot say absolutely that it is impossible.
ethopia619

Pro

Salve, Con! (Salve means hello in Latin.) To con, for this round, just wrap up and state why you should win.

In response to "there was always a possibility that they cold happen.", could you support the idea with KEY FACTS?

If I stated "time travel", I must have meant teleporting. However, teleporting and time traveling are similar. You have to travel faster than the speed of light or the Earth.

Why are you stating the possibility of teleporting? Shouldn't you be talking about that teleportation is real and we can teleport? There are many ways of how you could win if you talked about, "we CAN teleport" instead of the possibility.

Agree with before the debate: Con
Agree with after the debate: Con
Conduct: Pro
Spelling and Grammar: Tied
Convincing arguments: Con
Sources: Pro

I should win this debate because:

1) My opponent has not refuted many of my main points.
2) MY opponent has debated about the probability, not that humans CAN teleport with actual facts.
3) I have stated sources, which help support my main points and physics concepts

In conclusion, we cannot teleport. "Anything that has mass cannot travel the speed of light." ~ Physics. I challenge my opponent face that concept. The concept basically wraps up my main ideas.

I rest my case. Vote Pro. Thank you.

P.S. TO CON, great job! If you lose this debate, it's not the end of the world. "Win or lose, it doesn't matter." ~ Jackie Chan. If you win this debate, well, awesome! Good luck on your future debates!
rogue

Con

Good debate Pro.

Pro asks why I do not try to prove that we can teleport. The resolve is "Humans cannot teleport." This is an absolute statement meaning that it denies any possibility of humans teleporting now or in the future. Therefore, if I can prove that there is a possibility of teleportation of humans, his statement is then proved wrong and defaults to me. This is the Law of the Excluded Middle: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Even my opponent's reasons to win are false:
"1) My opponent has not refuted many of my main points.
3) I have stated sources, which help support my main points and physics concepts"

His point one is false because obviously I have rebutted many of his arguments; just look back at the arguments. His point two is definitely wrong because I debated about the POSSIBILITY NOT PROBABILITY and I actually stated that we are not debating about probability in round 4. His point three is made irrelevant by the fact that the science community constantly changes their accepted principles and laws. Therefore any principle saying that teleportation is not possible and could be changed in the future which is what I am working with.

I urge you not to vote Pro because we cannot teleport now. My argument is that there is a possibility of teleportation of humans in the future. My opponent's resolve leaves no room for teleportation in the future or even the possibility. If he had stated "Humans cannot teleport now", I would agree with him. But this is not the resolve. Since I have proved the possibility of teleportation in the future, his statement is now false. I have used logic to do so. If you have any disagreements with my logic, read my previous arguments and tell me where I am wrong. Actually, it is ironic that my opponent says I have not rebutted many of his points since he has not addressed many of mine as well.

Vote Con. Accept the possibility. definition: http://dictionary.reference.com..., if you need it :)
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
Con could have mentioned the fact that we have teleported...

http://www.time.com...

OR have accomplished what seems to be teleportation.
Posted by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
Yes, but you didn't need to interject reasons why you could fly a plane to know that you could fly a plane. You see what I'm saying?
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
You have to explain why it might be possible in the future. That's the point here. You had no basis for how it could ever be possible in the future. That's like me saying, I can fly a plane. The fact is that I could fly a plane, but I would certainly interject what steps it would take before I could fly.
Posted by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
but what i said is that it is impossible NOW. but i said that it might be possible in the future, therefore it is a possibility. read my arguments carefully.
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Actually, my logic says that some things are definitely impossible. For instance, it is impossible for me to dunk a basketball. This is something that many people can do. I am not one of those people. If I worked out everyday, and put a lot of time and research on how I can dunk, maybe then it becomes a possibility, but right now I promise you it is impossible. That was my point. All you had to do was show that people are working on making teleportation possible, but you never did. Therefore the resolution is affirmed. Teleportation IS, in fact, impossible. It may be possible one day, but today, humans cannot teleport.
Posted by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
woah ok I just realized they give no points for who you agree with after the debate. that is so dumb! isn't the point of the debate to convince others of your stand on something? I don't even care if I win the debate officially, as long I have convinced more people of my side than my opponent, I will have felt I have won and be satisfied.
Posted by rogue 6 years ago
rogue
I didn't think I needed that. Logic says that there is a possibility for everything and anything to happen. The evidence I gave was that you cannot know the future therefore you cannot know if we never find a way to teleport therefore there is a possibility.
Posted by Caramel 6 years ago
Caramel
now that's the cold-hard truth
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
@Rogue
You say there is a possibility of teleportation, but you give no evidence that this possibility exists. Applesack and Caramel give arguments to the possibility of teleportation. Perhaps, if arguments like these had been given, the results would have been different.
Posted by Caramel 6 years ago
Caramel
Quantum tunneling would allow you to teleport through a wall (I don't think it would work at long distances though). The problem with quantum tunneling is that it is completely random (assuming in the distant future we don't learn how to harnass it) - you'd have to sit around and just wait for all of your cells to simultaneously tunnel. This would involve you waiting around for many times longer than the lifetime of the universe! So strictly speaking, yes, we can teleport.
Vote Placed by LukeSchreiner 6 years ago
LukeSchreiner
ethopia619rogueTied
Vote Placed by ItsNasty 6 years ago
ItsNasty
ethopia619rogueTied
Vote Placed by Hound 6 years ago
Hound
ethopia619rogueTied
Vote Placed by ethopia619 6 years ago
ethopia619
ethopia619rogueTied
Vote Placed by gizmo1650 6 years ago
gizmo1650
ethopia619rogueTied
Vote Placed by ZackJarvis 6 years ago
ZackJarvis
ethopia619rogueTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
ethopia619rogueTied