climber
dmarie15

We need to abolish legal marriages.

Con Tied Pro

climber

Con

First round is nothing. You may only provide information on the last 2 rounds.

I am against abolishing legal marriages.
dmarie15

Pro

No first round argument. Climber, it is your turn. I am now ready to hear your first argument. I for the topic, we need to abolish legal marriages.
climber

Con

Without civil marriage, families are not legally recognized. This affects child custody, medical decisions, burial decisions, and inheritance. Without legal marriage recognition, it is difficult or impossible to legally establish and maintain families. http://www.pflag-palatine.org...

On the order of 1,400 legal rights are conferred upon married couples in the U.S. Typically these are composed of about 400 state benefits and over 1,000 federal benefits.

Most of these legal and economic benefits cannot be privately arranged or contracted for. For example, absent a legal (or civil) marriage, there is no guaranteed joint responsibility to the partner and to third parties (including children) in such areas as child support, debts to creditors, taxes, etc.

And, of course, when people cannot marry, they are denied all the emotional and social benefits and responsibilities of marriage as well.

http://www.religioustolerance.org...
dmarie15

Pro

Being legally married can get you benefits such as inheritance and tax cuts. However, couples can get married to get these benefits and are 'cheating the system.' If we get rid of these marriages, we won't see the problems.

Contention 1: You can still get married religiously.
This debate topic says we are ending legal marriages. That doesn't mean we are taking away marriage all together. Marriage is a religious bond and therefore should not have a religious contract. Those who are completely in love cannot complain because they can still go to their local church and get married.

http://atheism.about.com...
The difference between religious and civil marriages is undeniable. Civil marriages have very little in the way of requirements. They are basic contracts with a bare minimum in the way of qualifications. Religious marriages, however, are entirely different. They aren't civil contracts. Individual churches and denominations can create all sorts of requirements or qualifications before they will perform one.
Legal Marriages are not religious marriages

Contention 2: People are taking advantage of the legal marriage system.
When people get married, you get a lot of benefits such as inheritance money and tax cuts. People are getting married to get these benefits and not because they love the person that they are marrying.

Contention 3: Taking away legal marriages will get rid of controversy
Everyone can agree that there is controversy between gays or such people and whether they should be allowed to get married. Taking away legal marriages can end this dispute. They can get married religiously and there will no longer be the controversy.

http://atheism.about.com...
So why are people trying to change things here? Banning marriage between gays simply because some churches object to gay marriage is no better than banning re-marriage for divorced people simply because some churches object to divorce and re-marriage.

Contention 4: Having a piece of paper saying that you are married does not make you happier.
A legal marriae gets you a piece of paper saying that you are married. If you can still get married religiously, you can still be happy. You don't need to be legally married to do that.

Contention 5: The rights given to married couples aren't fair.
We give all of these rights to married couples, around 1,000 actually. However, is it really fair that we give these rights to married couples? What about those couples that need these benefits but aren't receiving them?

Therefore, I support abolishing legal marriages and urge you to vote on the pro side.
climber

Con

You say that "couples can get married to get these benefits and are 'cheating the system.' If we get rid of these marriages, we won't see the problems." Just because there are people that abuse the system doesn't mean that we shouldn't have the system in place.

You said that one can still get married religiously. That is very obvious; it doesn't mean that we don't require a civil marriage however.

You said that people are taking advantage of the legal marriage system. Again, abuse of the system doesn't mean that we should get rid of the system.

You said that taking away legal marriages will get rid of controversy. Perhaps, we need to have some legal benefits for non-standard couples rather than just throw out the whole system as it is.

You said that having a piece of paper saying that you are married does not make you happier. I don't think the purpose of a civil marriage is to make one happy, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

You said that the rights given to married couples aren't fair. Actually, they are fair; that's why they were designed. An example: If I live with a man and I die I may not want him to make decisions on my burial, etc. The way the system is set up now, he doesn't have that right. If I am in a committed marriage, society recognizes that we are one and he can make those decisions. A religious marriage alone doesn't give us the rights and protections that we require as a married couple.

http://www.religioustolerance.org...

Therefore, I am against abolishing legal marriages and urge you to vote on the con side.
dmarie15

Pro

Yes, not everyone is cheating the system but if you can still get married religiously, we can stop the people who are which will save the government and the people money.

I don't understand your second statement. Can you please elaborate? My whole point was saying that you can't argue that we are taking away legal marriages completely because we aren't.

The system has so many flaws though and with all of the controversy between gays and lesbians, demolishing the system would be the best choice here.

I'm saying they aren't fair because unmarried couple don't get these benefits. If we take away the system, it will be fair for everyone, like our country is supposed to be..equal.

Of course there is no guarantee, there is also no guarantee a child is being cared for with legal marriages. A child can still be under abuse at home. Ever read the story a child called it? There isn't a guarantee for anything.

Therefore, I am for abolishing legal marriages and urge you to vote pro in this debate.
Posted by dmarie15 9 years ago
dmarie15
Ok you know what!!! Don't even vote for me if ur gonna go by appearance! My mother is beautiful and I don't appreciate the comments!!! OK!!!!! You just made her cry and you know what? I FEEL I LOST THE DEBATE!!!! SO, YEAH IT IS A MOTHER DAUGHTER DEBATE!! THANK YOU DEREK.GUNN FOR BEING THE ONLY NICE PERSON TO MAKE A NICE COMMENT! This is supposed to be an educational debate website, not a site to put someone down! My goodness! Thanks completely making a beautiful and successful woman feel down about herself. Good job! Don't you feel better about yourself now?? Whatever...screw you. You don't see me making comments about you. Goodness.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
I may be wrong, but this appears to be mother vs daughter debate.
Posted by HadenQuinlan 9 years ago
HadenQuinlan
votin' for the crusty, sorry aietius, smarter debate is winner dawg.
Posted by Aietius 9 years ago
Aietius
Wow, after reading the arguments I really want to switch sides, but the fact is that the crusty old lady is disgusting and scary.
Posted by Aietius 9 years ago
Aietius
By "more attractive" I mean the the girl that I would like to tap.
Posted by Aietius 9 years ago
Aietius
I'm going to vote for the girl I think is more attractive because I am an unbiased judge.
Vote Placed by Kandace_Sisney 9 years ago
Kandace_Sisney
climberdmarie15Tied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
climberdmarie15Tied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 9 years ago
Derek.Gunn
climberdmarie15Tied
Vote Placed by BrokenDoors 9 years ago
BrokenDoors
climberdmarie15Tied
Vote Placed by HadenQuinlan 9 years ago
HadenQuinlan
climberdmarie15Tied
Vote Placed by Aietius 9 years ago
Aietius
climberdmarie15Tied