We need to become a nation under God again

I believe we need God back in this country as soon as possible. We need God back in our schools and in our government, and we need a good Christian president. This country was founded on Christian principles and it should still be that way.

I believe that church and state should always be seperate, and that there are many downsides when they are not.

I await my opponent's opening arguments.

This country was founded on God and Christian principles. Our country was great back then and now that the government doesn't really care about God look what has happened to it.

Many problems with my opponent's arguments. They state that the country was "founded on God and Christian principles." I'd like them to elaborate more on this statement, and give evidence for it, and also show how it's relevant to the topic at hand. My opponent also states that "our country was great back then and now that the gov't doesn't really care about God look what has happened to it." I'm sorry, but what exactly has happened to it? "Back then," the USA was just a newborn country with no relevance in international affairs. Now, after adopting secular values, it has opened itself up to people from around the world, which allowed it to grow incredibly fast economically. Not to mention that the USA is much better now than "back then," the average lifespan of a person is much higher, the USA is the largest economy in the world, and the greatest military power as well. Now I will move on to my own arguments.

Contention 1 - The Constitution [1st Amendment]
The constitution showcases the intent of the founding fathers, and is also the law of the land. And this constitution is a secular document, as it never appeals to God in any sense. It is also stated in the 1st amendment -

"Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Thomas Jefferson, himself a founding father of America, wrote about the 1st amendment in a letter, calling it a "wall of separation between church and State."

Contention 2 - Seperation of Church and State protects free speech
There are many religions in the world, the two largest ones being Christianity and all it's various sects and factions, and Islam, and all it's various sects and factions. There is also Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, so forth. Secularism ensures that all these religions are on the same ground, and none are given extra privelege under the law. It also ensures that non religious people can voice their views without persecution. And this is very important, as the more discussion there is about religion, the more transparent it can be, and more truth will be revealed.

Contention 3 - Which God?
However disappointing it may sound, praying will not solve anything. God won't save your nation, you actually have to take action yourself. There isn't any proof that God exists. My opponent is suggesting that Americans subject their entire nation under the will of an entity for which not a shred of evidence of it's existence exists. There is no more reason for America to be a nation under the Christian God then there for America to be a nation under Zeus, or Thor, or the flying spagetthi monster.

I'll leave it at that for now, I now toss the ball back to my opponent.

Yes things like that are better now. But this debate isn't about how health and medicine has improved, I was talking about the government. I never said there should be a law about religion because everyone has the right to have whatever religion they want. Several people of all races and religions have moved here and brough there beliefs with them, I understand that. And yes I'll have you know praying can solve anything. God will save my nation. I know I have to take action myself but God will help me with that. There shouldn't have to be evidence because the bible says to "We live by faith and not by sight." -2nd Corinthians 5:7. There isn't any evidence of Zeus or Thor either.

I thank my opponent for this debate.

My opponent concedes that America has generally improved, and that they were only talking about the government. However the fact that America as a nation is better off, with a greater economy, healthier people etc., this shows that the government has also improved very greatly, as the growth was started and led by the government.

Next my opponent says that there shouldn't be a law about religion because everyone has a right of freedom of religion, however my opponent contradicts themselves. You can't have freedom of religion in a country that dedicates itself to only the Christian version of God. If you want to put "God in the gov't," you would probably only put in one version of God, therefore the religion that follows that God will now be on a higher ground than all other religions, as their religion is endorsed by the gov't. And this violates the right to freedom of religion, as not all religions are treated equally under the law.

Next my opponent makes the fallacious claim that "praying can solve anything." To prove something like this, you would need a great deal of unrefutable evidence. It's obvious, you can't pray yourself out of life threatening diseases, you need to take action and get yourself treated by a medical professional.

And finally, my opponent says "there shouldn't have to be evidence because the bible says to." This is ridiculous, the Bible holds no more credibility than the Hobbit. The BOP was on my opponent in this case, to prove the credibility of the Bible, which they did not do.

My opponent dropped the first amendment argument.

I thank my opponent for this debate. That concludes my rebuttals, and I will not add any more arguments since this is the last round.

Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 1 year ago
>Reported vote: TGambit// Mod action: Removed<

6 points to Con (Arguments, Sources, Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: seemed like only one person one debating here, and clearly won

[*Reason for removal*] (1) No explanation for argument, sources, conduct.
Posted by gannon260 1 year ago
we speaking of the Bible, maybe men should start taking multiple wives again and women should submit to men. Also, we should force everyone who doesn't believe in God or christian values to believe in them. It's not like our nation was founded on the prinicples of freedom...pssh. BTW, if the founding fathers truly wnated a super christian state, they would have established a theocracy not a representative democracy.
Vote Placed by TGambit 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: seemed like only one person one debating here, and clearly won