spiderman12345
PlayerQQ

We need to get rid of homework

PlayerQQ

spiderman12345

Pro

You can go first my opponent. But know this I am not skilled but go first
PlayerQQ

Con

I'll take this argument. Best of luck, Pro!

I suppose for now I'll construct my argument.

Homework as it stands is an integral part of being at school, and I believe that it should stay that way. There are two particular perspectives as to why I believe this.

1) From a student's perspective, homework offers a wide variety of advantages in return for doing it. As is its primary purpose, homework offers a way for students to review the material that they have learned in class. This is critical as it tests whether or not a student has understood what has happened in class, since most teachers will not have the time to do so during schooltime.

There are also wide variety of useful skills that can come out of doing homework, such as time management, improving study habits, reviewing material, more opportunities to improve grades, etc.

2) From a teacher's perspective, it allows the teacher to evaluate how their students are performing in class. This allows the teacher to see who understands the material, and who needs more help. This is especially crucial during lesson planning; there is no point moving onto new material if a teacher discovers that 90% of the class did not understand what happened previously.
spiderman12345

Pro

Proof:
http://www.findingdulcinea.com...

A study has been show to state that homework does not increase student percentile of passing there test. Basically to break it down test score in the NYC are remained flat and has been dropping each time during a new benchmark exam and children have been getting homework each grade and the homework increases.
Homework increasing =/= Passing most of your test
Just to say practicing does not always make perfect.
Another study has been also shown that students who don't do their homework get the same average grade as most of the children who do most of their homework. Here is an example and this is a real example
When I was at school my friends were talking about report cards and what was their average. One kid in my class basically doesn't do his homework all the time and later on he got a 80.00% for his average. There is another girl in my class she has never missed a day of homework and her average was lower then the kid I mentioned with a 80.00% ratio. So basically homework does not improve your test it has been proven that homework is a chore for students

'There are also wide variety of useful skills that can come out of doing homework, such as time management, improving study habits, reviewing material, more opportunities to improve grades, etc.'
Your response ^^^^
Like I said homework does not improve your grade. Its how you were born and how you study. I can just do a full fledge worksheet and I still remain the same smartness I am. I will give you another real life example.
I barely do any of my ELA homework. And my grade improved. So just doing homework wouldn't teach children how to improve their test score. Later on your talking about time management. About most children in USA stay up through out all night doing most of their homework
Time management
' managing your time in a efficient way'
That's a definition and like stated about most children in USA stay up to do homework. Why do you think during the state test teachers basically don't give homework because they want you to get a good night rest

'2) From a teacher's perspective, it allows the teacher to evaluate how their students are performing in class. This allows the teacher to see who understands the material, and who needs more help. This is especially crucial during lesson planning; there is no point moving onto new material if a teacher discovers that 90% of the class did not understand what happened previously.'

That is the reason we have pre- exams and ready- exams to see what children need help on. You don't need homework to see how the well the teacher thinks your doing.

The problem with homework
1) Teacher give a highly amount of homework that children have to stay up to do some children attend after school and it wouldn't be fair for them to have 6 homework's because they would have to stay all night doing it. Also they will not get a good night rest. Children who do not get a good rest do not perform well in school. It has been proven by studies

2) It gets in the way of family time. Some children want to spend time with their parents on the weekend. Basically they would not want to go to someone's house and sit there doing homework. Would you like it if you had three projects and later on you spend three full days doing it and you cant spend time with family on the weekend/? I bet you would say no. But family time is very important

3) Children do not have the correct device
Lets say you did not know you had a typed up writing assiment to do and when you finished typing and you did not know there was no ink. What are you going to do? I bet you would say go to a library. What if your in after school and you came back at five o'clock. And your library closed at 5:00. Where is your time to print? Of course no answer. And everyone does not have a computer. And computers are expensive.
Well that's my argument your turn pro I cant wait to hear your argument
PlayerQQ

Con

Thank you for the discussion! However I believe you have confused your argument. Much of the proof you have offered suggests that increasing homework load is not beneficial. However, the crux of our argument is whether or not we should remove homework altogether. I claim that it is your burden to prove to me that homework itself is counter-productive, rather than an increased homework workload. For example, if I were to adjust the homework amount from 3 projects to 1, or have the homework assignments be reduced from 6 to 3, I don't believe many of your arguments hold.

Before I address your points, I'm going to preface the fact that your personal stories are not strong evidence. You keep claiming that it is "real life evidence". So are statistical data, as they are also gathered from real people. Personally, I have had a great experience with my academic performance and homework load, but that shouldn't count as "real life evidence" enough to counter your example. Since you're making the claim that we should remove homework altogether, make sure your argument works for all students, not just you or your friends.

[Point 1:] You make excessive claims. Please cite your sources when you make bold claims like:

-> "Like I said homework does not improve your grade. Its how you were born and how you study."

Source? Because my experience in college suggested the exact opposite. Perhaps you haven't been challenged enough in a class yet.

-> "About most children in USA stay up through out all night doing most of their homework"

A 2011 Study found that American High Schoolers only spend on average, 1 hour a day doing homework, so 7 hours a week.
(Source: http://nces.ed.gov...) Your experience might be completely different, but it is not the norm.

[Point 2:] The evidence provided is weak.

-> "A study has been show to state that homework does not increase student percentile of passing there test. Basically to break it down test score in the NYC are remained flat and has been dropping each time during a new benchmark exam and children have been getting homework each grade and the homework increases."

Your own evidence refutes your claim. From the very same article you linked:
"Researchers from Binghamton University and the University of Nevada conducted a study showing that although homework may benefit some students"particularly high- and low-achieving students"it"s counterproductive for students who are average learners."

The article says in the beginning paragraph that for some people homework can be helpful, and for others, homework can be harmful. Much of the article talks about changing the quality of homework to be useful for everybody, rather than abolishing altogether. It would stronger if you provided evidence that no homework improved everybody's academic performance.

-> "Another study has been also shown that students who don't do their homework get the same average grade as most of the children who do most of their homework."

Is this the article you are talking about? (Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com...)

The study also says that there is a positive link between time spent doing homework and time spent performing on tests, so isn't that good marker of improving academic performance? The study also makes no claim about whether or not removing homework benefited students.

[Point 3] Addressing Hypothetical Claims with Hypothetical Solutions

Since there is little factual evidence presented in the arguments you make based off of my second original point (the teacher's perspective), I offer similarly ungrounded counterclaims to show your argument holds little weight since it sways either way depending if the conditions are right. (AKA: Making a series of assumptions which cannot be shown to be held constant in every case).

-> "That is the reason we have pre- exams and ready- exams to see what children need help on. You don't need homework to see how the well the teacher thinks your doing."

But a teacher has to modify his/her course daily or however many times they teach per week. Are you suggesting that we have daily/weekly tests in lieu of daily/weekly homework? Wouldn't that defeat the point of removing homework?

Another issue is that the longer time between each pre/ready exam, the longer the exam is going to take (since it cuts into class time). Nevertheless, you would always be removing classtime that a teacher could be spending teaching, thus reducing the amount of material that can be taught over a semester or a year. In terms of classes that have standardized tests, this is especially bad for your class as they might not cover enough material for the exam. And if you're thinking about accelerating the pace of the class, that also makes the class harder for everybody, which i believe is counter-productive.

-> "Teacher give a highly amount of homework that children have to stay up to do some children attend after school and it wouldn't be fair for them to have 6 homework's because they would have to stay all night doing it"

This is only problematic if it happens repeatedly. As I showed in [Point 2], this is not the case for most students (high school at least). You also assume that you couldn't explain your situation to your teachers, that you had no say in the completion of the assignments, that somehow 6 classes all assign heavy projects on the same night such that you're forced to spend all night doing it, etc. There doesn't seem to be a complaint here if there isn't a lot of homework.

-> "Would you like it if you had three projects and later on you spend three full days doing it and you cant spend time with family on the weekend?"

Again only problematic if it happens regularly. If it happens once in a while, that is common for most students. See previous point about real time spent working for most American students.

-> "Lets say you did not know you had a typed up writing assiment to do and when you finished typing and you did not know there was no ink. What are you going to do? I bet you would say go to a library. What if your in after school and you came back at five o'clock. And your library closed at 5:00. Where is your time to print? Of course no answer. And everyone does not have a computer. And computers are expensive."

There are two separate scenarios being presented in one paragraph. The first is a case where you suddenly and temporarily don't have the tools to hand in an assignment. The second is where you do not have the tools to do assignments, period.

The solution to the first is easy. If I were that student? I'd ask to submit it by email. Or provide proof that the assignment was done and completed via said email. You could also ask others to print it. Or save it on a USB drive. There are a wide variety of solutions and assumptions being made here, so this case is moot.

The second situation suggests it is not fair to assign homework that a student cannot complete (due to a lack of tools). You are correct. I would highlight a (non-comprehensive) list of assumptions you are making:

- There is no method possible of getting a computer to use (library, school, friends, parents, work, etc)
- You cannot explain your situation to the teacher or the school
- The school does not believe you and lets you take the class and fail the grade
- You basically have no way to control the situation in any way shape or form
- There is no method possible of getting a computer to use

As you can see again, because I could add more information to suddenly make the issue much more easier to address, until either of us can provide factual evidence, the arguments are essentially hearsay.

Hence I have demonstrated that the last 3 or 4 points you make are not a solid basis to suggest that we should remove homework.

Looking forward to your response!
spiderman12345

Pro

I think I wont win
PlayerQQ

Con

Does this mean you forfeit?

Please confirm your statement in the final round (Round 4), so that the voting process may begin.
spiderman12345

Pro

Lets continue
Homework needs to be gotten rid of
1) It takes up time
And I lost what is the point you already have won because there is no way I am up to part but I strongly believe taking away homework is better your too skilled I suck at debating and I am the worst debater just vote guys.
PlayerQQ

Con

Although you personally believe that homework is a waste of time, I have demonstrated that it has merits which make keeping it worthwhile. You did not demonstrate that removing homework has benefits outside of your own personal case.

Thank you for the debate, and keep at it! Like many other things, if you want to get better, you have to keep practicing.

Well met!
Vote Placed by Cheetah 3 years ago
Cheetah
spiderman12345PlayerQQTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF. con had refuted him greatly though, good job.