excon
InfluentialImpact

We send people to prison AS punishment - not FOR punishment

excon

Pro

If you poke an animal with a sharp stick through the bars of his cage, you better not EVER let him out.. Instinctively, we know that to be true.. Yet, we poke our prisoners through the bars of their cages.. And, then we let 'em OUT.. I think that's CRAZY.

I'd like to debate someone who thinks I'M nuts, and the system is just fine..

The first round is for acceptance, and the last three is where you take your best shot..

PS> I'm a newbie.. Hope I'm getting things right...
InfluentialImpact

Con

I believe the American legal system is fine just the way it is. As far as I can see, this is the most humane punishment that we can possibly offer to criminals. Considering the people who have gotten into prison have not only broken the law, but dishonored our country, I truly do think this is, to say the least, a lenient punishment that is nothing compared to their crime. Now, I understand that most of the people in prison aren't serial killers, but rather teenagers or mid-twenties that made a bad decision, but that doesn't mean we can just let them go! We need some form of punishment, if there isn't, the people will realize that, and quote on quote "misbehave". Whether we want to admit it or not, our legal system is based on fear. The people of America are afraid to do things wrong, for they know they will be punished. That's how it is, and that's how it always will be. I am, however, a curious person, so though I think our system is perfect as it is, I will remain open to new ideas and listen to your side. So tell me, what would you do with a criminal who violated the law?
excon

Pro

Hello I:

Thank you for taking me on.. I'm sorry that I didn't explain my position better, and in the main, I don't disagree with you.. I have NO problem with people be sentenced to prison. Oh, I do too, but THAT'S not the basis for my argument.. I'm simply saying that the sentence ALONE is the punishment. They are NOT sentenced to be MISTREATED, and ABUSED, and THAT'S the stuff I'm talking about... Prison shouldn't be nice.. But, it shouldn't be a hellhole either.

excon
InfluentialImpact

Con

To put it quite simply, you're making our legal system sound worse than it is. Millions of people around the world would kill to live in these quote on quote "hellholes". Now I understand that there are some prisons in the world that are extremely harsh, but let's be honest, the people that are in these prisons must have done something incredibly bad. For instance, somebody who was drunk driving would not be sent to the same prison as a serial killer, and to be honest, I think if you killed somebody, you deserve far worse punishment than what they give you in even the harshest of prisons! That's a completely different argument though, so let's get back on topic. First of all, most prisons around the world provide things that people around the world would beg for, such as food, clothing, optional pay, education, and much more! Look, I don't want to say they're a good place to be or anything, I'm just saying that these "hellholes" you talk about usually only hold people who did something that, most likely, deserves a much worse punishment than what they are being given.
excon

Pro

Hello again, I:

Couple things.. I'm NOT comparing our prison system to anything OTHER than our OWN sense of justice, and our OWN Constitution. That we don't treat our prisoners as badly as other countries do, is NOT a good argument for the way we treat them.

Secondarily, if I WERE comparing systems, I'd MUCH rather be incarcerated in Mexico. I can say that, because I WAS incarcerated in Mexico. They're soo far behind our modern school of incarceration that they're decades ahead o us.. Now, they don't go out of their way to do anything NICE for their prisoners.. But, they also don't go out of their way to do NASTY things either. They believe their job is to KEEP prisoners in jail.. And, they do, which has NOTHING to do with making prisoners miserable, so they don't. Our visitors could stay overnight... We could buy the food we wanted.. There's much more. It wasn't good.. But suffice to say, it wasn't so bad..

Which brings up my third argument... Prison isn't for VENGEANCE.. The only reason you could believe that murderers should be treated differently than pot smokers, is if you believe prison is for REVENGE. It's not.. What makes Mexico's system work far better than ours is that they understand that..

excon
InfluentialImpact

Con

First thing's first, my intention of the previous paragraph was not to compare prison systems around the world, but rather to show to you that people in poverty, or even worse, war zones, would be incredibly grateful to live in the conditions provided by prisons. Now I understand, of course, that there is dark side, and that other countries treat there prisoners very poorly, but in a generalized whole, prisons are quite lenient with their captives. To be honest, it is mostly illegal to cause any harm to a prisoner within a prison. (Not including confinement and loneliness) Most situations in prisons are resolved by a vacation to solitary confinement, and physical punishment is very cautiously used. Now, you can argue with me all you want about how prison guards resort to "self-defense" and all that rubbish, but the truth is, guards aren't allowed to hit prisoners unless they feel threatened.

On to our next topic though, about when you said prison is for revenge. Now, I'm not much of an emotional persuader, but to be quite honest, I DO think it's based of of revenge. To be honest, I think people like that deserve what they get, and maybe even more. The truth is, to obtain a superior race, the weaker must be purged of this world. That's how it works in the wild, and when it all comes down to it, that's how it should work for us. I'm not saying that people are animals, I'm just saying, there's a reason the weaker, less dominant animals are killed, it's so that they can't reproduce their, for lack of better words, disease. Now of course, we aren't beasts who rely on who is stronger and faster, but if somebody can't understand the simple rules that have been set for them, they don't deserve to be on our level. That's how we become superior, so to put it quite simply, the punishment we use now is ineffective and lenient towards the mercy and love of mankind. Perhaps you are one of them, and perhaps you value a second chance more then racial superiority, and I believe in that too, but the question is... how many chances are we going to give them?
excon

Pro

Hello again, I:

Whether the disadvantaged throughout the world would be HAPPY in our prisons is simply NOT relevant to my inquiry, and I addressed it above.. I guess you ran out of arguments because you went back to it a second time..

And, you lost me when you went off the deep end about superior races and survival of the fittest.. Again, it's not relevant to my inquiry.. Frankly, you haven't shown WHY punishing someone IN prison is beneficial. You just confirmed that we do it. And, you're not bothered by it at all..

It was fun, but for the reasons stated above, I believe I crushed you.

excon
InfluentialImpact

Con

As long as we're crippling the opponents argument, I can play that game too. First of all, your argument is invalid because you haven't displayed any alternate solution to the problem, with no alternate solution, the only thing I COULD do is explain to you that this quite simply, doesn't happen. I agree that prisoner abuse is bad, but you make it sound worse than it actually is, because FIRST of all, there are laws set in place to prevent this from happening, and SECOND, even if this was happening, (which it isn't) you presented no way for us to solve or change the problem. There for, your argument is incomplete.

Good luck, and may the best man win...

P.S. ^ That's called "not being cocky" ^ ;D
Posted by excon 9 months ago
excon
Hello Fellas:

I AM 73 and I don't believe it either.. Somebody has clearly made a mistake..

I think people are sentenced to prison AS punishment.. Some people think people are sent to prison TO BE punished.. Which one do you pick?

excon
Posted by Youngastronomer 9 months ago
Youngastronomer
You don't sound like a 73 year old lol.
Posted by Nuevo 9 months ago
Nuevo
Can you clarify your stand?