vitalsign789
I-am-a-panda

We should Legalize prostitution

I-am-a-panda

vitalsign789

Pro

In the Philippines, where there is an increasing amount of prostitution happening and even if it's considered illegal, it is still existing. 86% of the reported cases of prostitutes are minors and most of them are at the age of 13-18. Also, there is an increasing number of prostitutes that were proved to have AIDS and STDs and let's remember most of the prostitutes are minors. However, we consider these prostitutes as victims who were deprive of fortune, well most of the time in they are pick up by sadomasochistic customers. They are maltreated, hurt,battered and black and blue however they can't go to the police and report their customer because their work is illegal.
That's why, we in Affirmative side are legalizing prostitution because we want to secure our children and their future from this industry; secondly we want them to be safe while working.
So the criteria for this debate are
> "WHICH SIDE WOULD GIVE MORE PROTECTION FOR THE CHILDREN AND THE YOUTH?"
>"Which SIDE GIVES PROTECTION TO OUR PROSTITUTES"
Well, let's characterizes if we legalize prostitution...
>Brothels - we are ensuring that prostitutes are in brothel ONLY, that they wouldn't go wandering off the streets without the ensuring their safety form sadomasochistic costumers; lastly these brothel CAN ONLY OPERATE IN THE EVENING
>ID system - we are ensuring that there wouldn't be minors working in these brothels
>Weekly Check-up - we are ensuring that there wouldn't be an existing STDs (sexually transmitted disease) so that we are instilling safety in this industry
>Check and balance professionals - which are to check those who comes in to these brothels, to differentiate who is a minor(18 and below) and who isn't
So that we know that their wouldn't be horny boys coming in these brothels
>Condoms and Contraceptives - we are giving them FREE contraceptives so that we are secured that the customer and the prostitute would have safe sex!

In Conclusion, if we have this kind of legalization we are ensuring the plight of the prostitutes and the protection of our children...

To the contender: The debate is in the context of the Philippine, it only means that the setting of the debate is in that country so don't use other places except if for just citing an example of a country which prostitution is already legal.
I-am-a-panda

Con

I would like you for posting this topic aand look forward to a good debate.
Yes it's true prostitutes don't go to police because they'll be arrested, yes they haave bad lives, but would legalisiing it really change much?
My first point is: Prostitution isn't right. I'm not religious, I just have some common sense. People think a woman should be able to do what they want with their bodies. But 9 times out of 10, it's not choice. Alot of women are forced to prostitute to scrap a living, others are forced by boyfriends or by pimps to repay a debt. Once a prostitute is in the business, she has no way out. As you said, she can't turn to the police, nor can she try and run away. We would also have to redefine rape. If a woman is raped in a park, but the man leaves a 100 dollars, he could merely say he was paying for her services and get off free.

Secondly: Regulating it would be very difficult. You say that there will be ID cards, and no use for minors, weekly check-ups, free contraceptives and only use in the evenings. I have flaws with each one of these
ID cards - One of the most forged things in the worlds, a fake could be made, sold to a pimp and he has a woman he's forcing into the sex trade. And you say this would prevent minors from working in Brothels. Sorry, birth certs are also highly copied documents.
No use for minors - Like alchohol, minors are somehow going to get in. Whether its forged documents like above, bribes or because they know someone, minors are always going to be able to use the services.
Weekly check-ups - Yes, we need to check for STD's, but when one is found, and a woman is out of business for a month or two, you think a pimp is going to see himself lose all of that profit? Nope he ain't. he's going to force her to work.
Free contraceptives - This would be vital, but lets remember, condoms have a 97% success rate, and the women would have to be educated on how to take the pill, otherwise it has a high failure rate.
Only use in the evenings - This will be corrupted. You could say only open past 8, then they'll start opening at 7 and you'll push it back to 7 and so on until this has a minimum if no bearing on brothels.

Thirdly, it wouldn't solve any problems prostitutes face in the phillipines. If anything, it will worsen them, because pimps are going to think they can push women on the street legally. More so, they're going to get enough confidence to push younger and younger women. The Phillipines will be known as a place with prostitution legalized, and tourists will flock thier, and get it cheap as possible through side alley deals. This will probably attract even more pedophiles or make more sex-tourists 'experiment' with younger women. The common solutuion to a problem is to ban it or legalizze it, but it's not either. Its simply improving you're country until people are smart enogu hto know ' I shoudn't be doing this, theres a sea of oppurtunity around me'. If the phillipines focuses on looking after the people, the people will look after themselves.

In conclusuion, It's wrong for a man to force woman into the sex trade and say its legal, there are too many flaws in regulation and it woudn't solve the problems prostitutes face.
vitalsign789

Pro

vitalsign789 forfeited this round.
I-am-a-panda

Con

Hmmmmmmmm...no response. I'll give him 'till next round in the name of sportsmanship.
vitalsign789

Pro

Firstly, I want my opponent to research first about the Philippine Context before anything else. Secondly, my opponent have alot of grammatical and spelling errors and I believe he should be penalize for it. Thirdly, I believe that there is a big difference in prostitution and rape because as far as I can see rape is forced while prostitution is within their contention or perojative however most of the countries are against.
Now, let's characterise why prostitution is seen as bad and why is it happening especially in the Philippine context. Firstly, we are debating in a context where it it's religiously highlighted and what the church says is what the people do. Secondly, when a person didn't finish college in the Philippines you really need God to find one, well even being a janitor you need a college degree. Thirdly, women are pushed to prostitution because they see it as easy to earn money and they think it's the only way of living. Lastly, even if you say that there is no prostitution in a country well I don't think so. Why? Because they have black markets for this industry and as we see they are not safe and most of them are minors. Yeah, I'm conceding in the fact that 9 out of 10 women doesn't want to sell their bodies however that causes like "how can I feed my children?", "how can I get a job?", "How can I live?" and other pragmatic life questions. You know they don't want it however they don't have a choice, it's their only way of living!
Now, let's rebut the rebuttals or what he says "faulty points" of my opponent. First, he told as that is cards can be one of the most forged documents. I don't think that government would be so stupid not to put alot of security feature in these IDs like holograms, signatures, DNA, Fingerprint and others. I set this debate in the Philippine context where there is an existing ID system and I don't think it could be cheated. Secondly, on his about Minors and Check-ups that minors can somehow get in anyways. That's the thing that we are proving that these brothels will be supervised with professional that know who is the minors, like the dentist they know who is a minor by just look at the teeth (if your a minor your 3rd molar hasn't grown yet). When this happens there will be alot of incentives also for the professional because there would be job opportunities. Thirdly, about the Weekly check-ups, seriously this is a debate and you really need to substrate your points and a tip "please use PROPER English please". Fourthly, about free contraceptives that condoms have 97% success rates. I concede with that matter about condoms however I don't believe that's the only contraceptive well it includes pills, injectibles, condoms and others. I think my opponent should really research first before debating and challenging because he doesn't really know that pills are also contraceptive! Lastly, he told us that wouldn't solve any problems prostitutes face in the Philippines. In any country or state prostitution is indeed happening whether in streets and in black markets or secretly, if we see this it only tells us that they are in more harm and danger with STDs and AIDS. Unlike in brothels that they are secured for abusive customers and you know they are given services. I believe that an average reasonable person will think should "Where should I go to a dangerous place like the streets to work which I am not secure or to brothels that I know I'm really protected from abusive customers and STDs?" I believe they will go to brothels. Why? Because they know they are secure and protected, they have that peace of mind that nothing will go wrong while working. If this is so, it only affirms governments responsibility. Why? Because they are not blinded that there is really a big number of prostitutes seeking for protection and infact they can't tell the police that they we're abused. You know they are also victims, they are victims of society's mainstream I believe that the government will affirm their responsibility if this industry and will be protected and given much effort to give help considering these prostitutes are voters anyways.

PS. To my opponent: Please research, Please Check your grammar and spelling and try not to use "pimp" words and start using basic average human English.
I-am-a-panda

Con

I would like to thank VitalSign for debating this with me, and hope to have future debates with him.

Firstly, I will rebut my points.
1. Id cards:
You say the police wouldn't be stupid enough not to put in security measures like Holograms, Fingerprints, etc. on. But the truth is this will require a lot of money for equipment to be established to read holograms, check fingerprints, fingerprints and DNA. It this current economic climate, it is nearly impossible for a government to subsidize new high-tech equipment for brothels. As I mentioned, this can be forged. Simply placing in fingerprints, holograms and signatures doesn't mean it won't be cracked. Look at your average Money note. It has a signature, and numerous holograms as well as secret photo's hidden in it. Is it forged and used? Yes.

2. Minors:
You say that professionals will have to supervise and protect minors from getting in. you're example is that the 3rd molar hasn't grown if you're a minor. These are referred to as wisdom teeth. I don't know what you're definition of 'Minor' is, as this grow between the ages of 16-21. This means that if you set the age to 18, a 16 year old can get in because he has developed faster. As well, some people have these molars removed if it causes them too much pain when it crowns. So, I have disproved that simple 'genetics' cannot prove if someone is old enough to use a brothel because people develop at different rates and it's injustice to someone who is 21 that can't get in because he isn't 'developed'.

3. Weekly check-ups:
I apologize for poor grammar in my last argument regarding this point. My point is this: A weekly check up can be costly. I'm unsure of the cost of a gynaecologist in the Philippines, but I'm sure that the weekly rate x 52 x No. of prostitutes will equal alot of money, and with the cost of the high-tech. equipment you mentioned, would it actually make money when ii comes down to it??

4. Contraceptives:
My opponent has Miss-interpreted my argument. I argued that Pills have low success rates if women are uneducated of their use. I never mentioned that they weren't a contraceptive, if anything mentioning them in such an argument would mean I'm saying they are a contraceptive. You mention injectable contraceptives, but you must remember that they last 3 months before they must be re-injected. Although this has it's benefit, it also has it's downsides. If the prostitute were to decide to have a child, they would have to wait 10 months until her menstrual cycle returned to normal. As well, a possible side-effect is weight gain, which can possibly make the prostitute un-attractive, and therefore make her lose business.

You mention lastly that prostitutes are safer in brothels than out on the streets. This is true. What you're forgetting is that this Increases sex-tourism among the country. Soon enough, sex tourists will flock to the Philippines as prostitution is Legal and law abiding. However, with the high costs I mentioned earlier, it will be too expensive for a sex tourist and he'll decide to use the black market, as it is cheaper and he can't be punished, prostitution's legal! This can lead to experimentation and pedophiles coming over to experience legal prostitution when no-one will intervene, it is a law abiding service.
You also have to remember because this is in the context of the Philippines, I will use facts of the Philippines to support my case. Currently, 95% of Philippines citizens believe in a religion that prohibits prostitution. It would be an outrage to ignore them in this equation, and to offend them by allowing what they believe to be wrong happening in their own country. As I quote my opponent, who lives in the Philippines 'what the church says is what the people do'. This is proof that religion has a strong place in the Philippines, and that this cannot be introduced before having some sort of referendum.

As my opponent mentioned, the core of this debate is 'Does it protect Prostitutes?'. I even quote my opponent 'Yeah, I'm conceding in the fact that 9 out of 10 women doesn't want to sell their bodies'. This means that if the Philippines were to legalize prostitution, 9 out of 10 women who don't want to do it are now used legally. Alot of women will see it as an alternative to college and join, and are then sent in a system which will be corrupted, as you must remember ladies & gentlemen, it would be a former crime business, with most of its owners involved in other activities such as drugs. This will merely fuel other gangland activity, as criminals now have a legal arm of trading to get profit off, and it would require them to set up very little.

In summation, my opponent has merely said that a legal brothel will give more protection to prostitutes, but with so many religious objections that would occur, the flaws in it's regulation and the fact it will fuel the gangland empires, it's Con's far outweigh the the Pros. Prostitutes are criminals by law, so why shouldn't they be punished for their Illegal activity instead of being given a safe haven like my opponent suggests,. His comeback to this would be that they're humans, but so are , drug dealers, burglars and hitmen who are classified as criminals because they have broken the law. If my opponents principal were to be applied elsewhere, it would be the same as saying Burglars are allowed to rob 'x' amount of money from peoples homes a year. Fair, no? I urge you to vote Con. Thank you.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 5 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Even though Vitalsign laughed in my face, I will keep my composure and simply tell him to suck it.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 5 years ago
I-am-a-panda
It's called vote bombing, a little bugger called Josh does not like me. Strange, since I chose the conservative side and all.
Posted by vitalsign789 5 years ago
vitalsign789
HAHAHAH! in your face PANDA!!!!!
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 5 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Not planning to, ick. But they are welcome in Ragnar Land :D.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 5 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Ragnar, don't join John's clan, don't!!
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 5 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"Just Think that children or minors is n prostitution"

And?
Posted by I-am-a-panda 5 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Yes we shall meet again
Posted by vitalsign789 5 years ago
vitalsign789
Guys I am sorry if I pointed out the errors of my opponent however I also know I have a few though. I apologize. I'm a real life debater and I'm used to talk. I am having a hard time composing on paper. Well, I-am-a-panda I was expecting to have a debate with you in the future....
Posted by Mangani 5 years ago
Mangani
Before/After debate: Pro
I believe prostitution should be legalized, and Con did not convince me otherwise.

Conduct: Con
Pro showed bad conduct in forfeiting R2, and Con conceded this round out of courtesy. Pro was very discourteous in pointing out grammatical and spelling errors on Con's part, but did not better with spelling and grammar. Con may have misspelled words, but Pro at times didn't even make sense.

Spelling and Grammar: Con
Both misspelled words, but Pro had numerous grammatical errors as well.

Convincing Arguments: Tie
Both laid out terrible arguments. Neither seemed to have the slightest bit of education on the subject, and relied completely on their own opinion. Both cited statistics that they seemed to pull out of thin air.

Sources: Tie
No sources were used by either side.

2 points Con; 0 points Pro
Posted by I-am-a-panda 5 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Why are you trying to scab points in the comments section? And don't refer back to my debate about Humpty Dumpty, that was different.
Vote Placed by DiablosChaosBroker 5 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
vitalsign789I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by paramore102 5 years ago
paramore102
vitalsign789I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Mangani 5 years ago
Mangani
vitalsign789I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Grund 5 years ago
Grund
vitalsign789I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by Xera 5 years ago
Xera
vitalsign789I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by fireimp_237 5 years ago
fireimp_237
vitalsign789I-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 5 years ago
kels1123
vitalsign789I-am-a-pandaTied
Research this debate: United States