iamsano
repete21

We should a limited number of voters or limeted time on www.debate.org

Started: 12/13/2007 Category: News

iamsano

Pro

I know most people here including myself are here to learn and dont really mind losing or winning a debate. Instead I wanna learn from others. I just think that during the voting period, we should have a limited numbers of voters or days to decide the winner and the loser. This will make the whole debating thing exciting... because right now it is not limited and you must keep checking all the time to know if there is any change.
Thanks
repete21

Con

I will make an attempt to win this although it is set up extremely lopsided, towards the Pro.

Because the website updates the statistics on your w/l record, it is not necessary for them to stop the voting at a certain time, so as to tally the results.

By limiting the number of voters, you limit the selection of voters, so, if 10 liberals get to a conservative topic before the conservatives, and there are only 10 votes allowed, it would be unfair to the conservative debater.

Also, because there are so few members on the site, and so few actively voting, by limiting the voting time, you limit the number of votes, which I have already stated is not a good thing, some people aren't on here 24/7 but may still want to vote, but if the voting period is up before they get to the topic they can't.
iamsano

Pro

Thanks for your attemopt and yeah you have a good point but i can deal with.
I thought of this idea because of the nature of the debate or vote. When you have a debate with someone and there is no time limit for the voting period, it does not make sense because in that case there will not be a clear winner and and you will have to check all the time and at the end, you just give up.
your point about the number limit of voters, i just believe if we can just say that the debate will be decided by the forst 20 or 30 numbers of voters or even ten but the problem with that sometimes is if you dont have that number of people voting,you can then decide on who has most people in the voting period.
when you say that you have for instance 10 liberal coming first and vote and conservative sometimes coming late, the decision will not be fair. I believe that people should not vote based on their own feelings or opinions. the vote should be based on the arguments made by the debaters and who has better ones. that is how i vote and i believe that is how a debate should be decided.
If it is already possible to forfeit a round because somebody could not make it in a frame of time, why not limit the voting period too or numbers of voters. this can be decided by the debaters before starting a debate.

You should also know that no all people will vote for each debate. people usually read debate they are interested in and then vote. so even if there is no time limit, lots of people still might not vote.

Thanks and have a nice day
repete21

Con

Since you have mainly based your argument on the fact that you want to see who wins or loses, I will go over that first. First of all, the w/l record is constantly updated, so you don't have to go back and look to see if you won or lost constantly, secondly it is not that hard to go to your profile, and look through each of your debates and look at the two numbers above the names. If you are willing to put forth the effort to debate a topic, you should be able to click a few times and read some numbers. You also haven't taken into consideration all the people who cannot be on the website everyday, and will miss out on voting, and each debate needs as many votes as possible, to keep any biases from affecting it, it is just like when the media takes a poll, if they don't poll a wide variety of people, they often end up wrong, for example, the Chicago Tribune stating that Dewey beat Truman in the presidential election... if we only allow a small amount of voters, we may end up with biased votes, especially in very controversial topic such as religion. Also, since the site is still growing, by limiting the time for which a debate can be voted on, we disallow future members from voting on certain topics, and as I have stated, you need a wide variety, and large amount of voters to be accurate. I believe that it is more important for the debate voting to be accurate, than for the debaters to be able to check the win or loss easily, and that there are better options for checking the win loss, if it is in fact really necessary.
Posted by wingnut2280 6 years ago
wingnut2280
Let me start by saying that I agree with iamsano. That being said, I voted for repete21 because I felt he gave better args (especially since the topic was so lopsided). This is how people should ideally vote. I think, given a reasonable voting period (one week), we could allow everyone and the week would let people vote at their leasure. I just don't like how my wins aren't "secure" you might say. If I'm up 7 to 6 after a week, I worry about a guy getting bored, chcecking the archives, and ruining my priceless record!
Posted by jordan23gn 6 years ago
jordan23gn
HEY IAMSANO IS RIGHT.. GOOD POINT
Posted by aminasano 6 years ago
aminasano
if person A does not like person B.. that does not make as iamsano said you should not vote according to your feelings.. your vote should be based on the arguments being made.. be just and fair.
if person A does that, he/she is wrong
Posted by KevinL75 6 years ago
KevinL75
The thing that bothers me about unending voting periods is that if person A decides he or she doesn't like person B, person A can simply go back through person B's record and attempt to change the W-L record by voting for the opponents every time.

I wouldn't put it past someone in a heated debate to develop an acrimonious relationship with the person they're debating.
Posted by zainie143 6 years ago
zainie143
i agree to the idea of mr. iamsano.."there is no time limit for the voting period, it does not make sense because in that case there will not be a clear winner and and you will have to check all the time and at the end, you just give up."

i strongly agree to him!
Posted by VaLoR 6 years ago
VaLoR
Actually, I do not find this debate lopsided at all. In fact, I differ strongly from the opinion expressed by the "Pro" debater. There will always be users viewing a debate for the first time, such as new members, who will wish to vote on the winner of topics they just got around to reading for the first time, but if the time limit is implemented they will be unable to do so.

Spreading out the timetable allows for a greater variety of users to review the debate over time, thus further legitimizing the official determination.

When one goes about doing a case study, it makes sense to take a poll of the largest and diverse as possible audience so as not to skew the end results. The more people that vote, the more legitimate the determination.
Posted by repete21 6 years ago
repete21
There is a suggestions button... how about that, rather than starting a one sided debate?
Posted by Crystal 6 years ago
Crystal
I think in the next version/update, the Instigator will have the option of selecting 1-day, 1-week, 1-month, 3-months, 6-months, 1-year, and indefinitely for the voting period. Lot's of changes are being made to the debate format based on all of the feedback.
Posted by wingnut2280 6 years ago
wingnut2280
Ya, I'm not really sure how you win. Votes obviously, but how many, in what time period?
Vote Placed by repete21 5 years ago
repete21
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by behindblueeyes 5 years ago
behindblueeyes
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by Pricetag 6 years ago
Pricetag
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by james94 6 years ago
james94
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by sagarous 6 years ago
sagarous
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by jordan23gn 6 years ago
jordan23gn
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by aminasano 6 years ago
aminasano
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by VaLoR 6 years ago
VaLoR
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by iamsano 6 years ago
iamsano
iamsanorepete21Tied
Vote Placed by Wharrel 6 years ago
Wharrel
iamsanorepete21Tied