kelsieisboss
TheUser

We should abolish the death penalty in the US

kelsieisboss

Pro

The death penalty does more harm than good in today's society. At one time, it may have served a useful purpose, but it is no longer necessary and the small positives it may have are outweighed by the negatives.

The death penalty is not able to be overturned, so any mistake in its application cannot be corrected because we do not have the power to resurrect people. Some propose that capricious application of the death penalty is flawed, but feel that the death penalty needs to be there for truly heinous crimes. Others argue the pragmatic merits, it is cheaper to execute than detain for life and it provides prosecutors with a bargaining chip when making deals with suspects that are willing to plead guilty. I acknowledge these facts but I believe that their value is either inconsequential or requires a trade-off that makes it worse.

Executing instead of imprisoning is cheaper, but only if there is no extra level of proof necessary for the application of the death penalty. The current process that the Supreme Court does not deem to be cruel and unusual actually costs more than imprisonment. http://www.deathpenalty.org......
One must prove that either a quickie process for the death penalty application is needed, with a corresponding greater probability of false convictions, or abandon cost as a factor in the merits of the death penalty.

The morality of the death penalty being necessary for heinous crimes is either a misguided notion that the death penalty is needed to provide closure to the victim's family and loved ones, or is needed to restore some type of cosmic balance. Since the latter is not very much en vogue these days, I will assume that the former is the primary argument. It is not valid when weighed against other factors. The one being executed has family and loved ones, what about their well-being? Some also argue that it is more punishment to live with yourself than have the opportunity to end it. Either way, it seems like a case of special pleading, because everyone can construct a hypothetical scenario that would make the death penalty the correct action. Laws are based on the totality of the situation, and special cases need to be evaluated against the whole body of evidence, they do not form an argument all by themselves.
TheUser

Con

I take this challenge.

I agree with your point. The United States should abolish the death penalty in the US for the following reasons:

The death penalty is killing people even if they did not do what they are condemned for. I really think it is not necessary for the people to die. What if a future lays ahead of them. The Bible does say "Thou shall not kill" so why are these sick twisted killers killing? Oh, that's right: they don't believe in Go. They don't think twice about torturing, raping and killing a child let alone anyone else. I believe God says in so many words for those that harm my children in any way may the wrath of God be upon you! I also believe the right next to "Thou shall not kill" is obeying the laws of the land. Well, I believe that law states any one that takes the life of another in a cruel or cold pre-meditated manner shall face the death penalty. If we did not enforce laws of this nature, why on earth would any sicko care about killing someone else? Especially when they can go to jail and spend however many years thinking about how to do it better next time so they don't get caught. Great: that's all we need a bunch of smarter criminals. Wait until it's someone you love!

What if a love one was killed? Would you want death or mental torture? Personally, I want them to have mental torture. If we give them the death penalty, then it's over with. How do we know that they didn't just kill that citzen, so you would end thier lives? We could be doing exactly what they want, ending their life to stop the pain within. Another reason eye for an eye/ tooth for a tooth? The U.S. will never learn as one if everything we do for justice is based on revenge instead of punishment. You are teaching the next generation to do to one what one has done to you.

Because: 1. Murder is not an "accident" (that would be Manslaughter) 2. Murderers have stepped outside of societal boundaries to commit a crime against SOCIETY. Society cannot function if persons inside that society are allowed to kill innocent victims at will. That's called anarchy. 3. Murderers can murder again; they have already demonstrated their willingness and capability of doing so. I think Manslaughter (accidental death) should carry stiffer penalties than it does, but I strongly believe that a human being who knowingly and willfully kills another--Murder!--has removed his (or her) own "rights" in the process. It is not about "revenge". It is not about "closure". It is not about "fairness". It is about preventing such a terrible action from being carried out by THIS individual ever again. Period. If someone ELSE is not deterred by the death penalty and chooses to commit murder, they should ALSO be put to death, and removed from society as well. BECAUSE IT'S RIGHT.
kelsieisboss

Pro

Keeping people "deserving" of capital punishment in prison will solve the problem. It is not only a cheaper solution but it can benefit society also. If we set up factory's of some sort and have these prisoners work in them, we will not only gain goods but have our money ultimately given back to us. If you value human life then you will want life sentences without parole.
TheUser

Con

I believe that even though people say that nobody has the right to kill someone else, that there has to be personal justice and peace of mind. There is an extent on how someone can receiving capital punishment though, and the worst the crime, the better chances are that that specific person should be put to death. I just believe a personal peace of mind, and how that could lead to justice in some form to the person that that human has corrupted.

This depends on seriousness of the crime that person has committed. If a person lied and was put to jail, this is not that serious. So, he would not deserve the death penalty. The death penalty should only be for serial murderers and people who commit very serious crimes.
kelsieisboss

Pro

kelsieisboss forfeited this round.
TheUser

Con

I'll wait for my opponent to post her arguments next round if she comes back.
kelsieisboss

Pro

kelsieisboss forfeited this round.
TheUser

Con

I'll give Pro one more chance.
kelsieisboss

Pro

kelsieisboss forfeited this round.
TheUser

Con

TheUser forfeited this round.
Posted by fuckthisworld 3 years ago
fuckthisworld
im writing an opinion article for class as i speak and im a pro to ban capital punishment. its immoral. i could post my article here when im done if anyone wants to see it
Posted by TheUser 3 years ago
TheUser
I guess my opponent forfeits
Posted by kelsieisboss 3 years ago
kelsieisboss
"BECAUSE ITS RIGHT" is not a valid argument
Posted by TheUser 3 years ago
TheUser
I meant to post points for both sides of argument. Why it sould be abolished and why not.