Fortis
magnificentadao

We should allow corporal punishment in schools.

Fortis

Con

The first round is for acceptance.
magnificentadao

Pro

Fortis

Con

I would like to introduce the first argument in round 1.

I believe that corporal punishment violates the students' rights. As human beings, we naturally own numerous basic rights and freedoms, and those rights and freedoms include the rights to one"s own body. Because they own that right to own their body, they shouldn"t be physically damaged by their teachers when they, obviously, have a right to not be hit and not be physically injured. However, look what the opposition side is telling us right now. Why should student"s rights be toyed around with and not be respected? Is it because they have not reached the age of twenty yet? Does this right harm others around them? It"s just one student that is minding his or her business with their own body, and what really is the harm? Shouldn"t everyone"s rights be respected equally, no matter what age? The proposition team believes so. How high are the teacher"s positions in the society that they should be able to violate their students" rights? Why should they be given a chance to injure others around them? Now, I would like to question the opposition, about whether or not they care. About whether or not they care about each student getting abused by their teacher, such as getting hit, pinched, and almost toyed around with. About whether or not they care about those who have gotten so severely injured by corporal punishment, that they lost an eye, got a deformation in the face, or if even more severe, had died because of too intense corporal punishment. The reason that I am asking this question to the opposition today is because looking at the opinion they believe in, they are not thinking about students getting injured severely because of teachers, at all. Of course the opposition team may argue on the fact about how there are teachers" duty, and the teacher"s rights, however, I would like to prove this argument wrong First, when it comes to teacher"s duty, the proposition team clearly understands that each teacher"s duty is to help their students improve. We have nothing to do except to admit that fact. However, is corporal punishment really the best way to fix every single problem that each child has? We believe that the answer is a no, and our deputy prime minister will elaborate further on this in our team"s fourth argument. Second, they may be teachers" rights as well as students" rights. We clearly say yes to teachers" rights, and if we do ban corporal punishment, we may be violating teachers" rights. However, if you really are reasonable enough, you can see the comparison between the harms in students rights, and the harms in teachers" rights. Do you think that losing and eye is more severe, or a teacher losing his or her voices for just a day more severe? Of course losing an eye, and from this, the proposition team can courageously say that the students" rights are more violated when corporal punishment is allowed, rather than the harm in teachers" rights when corporal punishment is banned.
magnificentadao

Pro

magnificentadao forfeited this round.
Fortis

Con

The second argument is that it will be ineffective and will only create side effects. I believe that hitting students for what they had done wrong would not be effective in helping students actually rehabilitate and really learn something. For example, let's say it was you, for instance. Maybe you were talking to your friend about the test that you are taking that day. However, the teacher comes and hits you with the stick for talking with your friend during class. In that case, will the first thing that come to your mind be "Oh, I should never do this again"? Most people would say no. Instead, corporal punishment would cause side effects. Students learn from the teachers. It is the duty of the students to learn, and it is the duty of the teacher to teach. However, by allowing corporal punishment, instead of the teachers actually teaching their students anything good, the children will become more violent as they are the victims of violence from the teacher. If the teacher hits his or her own students, the students are more likely to think that since the teachers are hitting the students, they should be justified to hit other children as well.
magnificentadao

Pro

magnificentadao forfeited this round.
Fortis

Con

Fortis forfeited this round.
magnificentadao

Pro

magnificentadao forfeited this round.
Posted by Fortis 3 years ago
Fortis
oops it seems like I made a mistake in my speech. I hope you understand that I would like to replace deputy prime minister as 'second round'
Posted by TryingAtLogic 3 years ago
TryingAtLogic
While I agree with @Fortis, and thus I can't accept, I think it would be best if I contributed in some way. So, a quote.

William Drummond: "He who will reason is a bigot; he who cannot reason is a fool; he who dares not reason is a slave."

Any and all rules that are logically sound can be logically explained without a need for physical violence, because, let's face it, corporal punishment is saying it is wrong and being offended when questioned, where a simple explanation is saying it is wrong and having the civility to explain why, as all people who make a claim are obligated to do.
Posted by Fortis 3 years ago
Fortis
Well... it is hard to say, because I'm not sure if you meant experienced as in like I used this website before, or I just did debate at all.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Fortis: If you're a new user name for an experienced member I'll accept. If new, I really don't want to win due to FF. I have a pretty decent argument in my head, which goes along the lines of some kids just have it coming.
Posted by TheEnergyHippo 3 years ago
TheEnergyHippo
I regret for putting my real age.... All of the debates that are interesting for me are 18+