Nimmiko
Exasperated_Youth

We should allow gay marriage and equal benefits to them.

Nimmiko

Pro

If you search Google for 10 reasons that gays should not be allowed to get married this is what you will get. [ () are my comments]

01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
( As for me I love air conditioning, and I am pretty sure that almost every American has it, and everyone who needs eyeglasses wears them or contacts)

02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
(false, really? Being around tall people will not make you tall this is a stupid reason, and "encouraging" is just saying that people wont have to worry about being shunned for their life choice and will be more comfy about coming out.)

03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
(Not true, America will never allow people to marry dogs this is flawed logic)

04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal
(blacks CAN marry whites, women are NOT property and divorce is NOT illegal, actually 50% of marriages end in divorce.

05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
(People get married for love.)

06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.
(gay babies come from straight parents. Extremely flawed logic plus we have )

07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children. (Excuse me? Wear are all the gay children coming from)

08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America. (False we as America have many religions, and as our right we have freedom of religion... and freedom FROM religion)

09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children. (Divorced family's have children bounce from house to house all the time)

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
(.....)

http://www.adoptuskids.org...

My only request is that when you use religion please explain why it is bad not just because the bible says so.

I fail to see why it matters if someone who is gay wants to get married; their shouldn't be anything stooping them. If you don't like gay marriage, don't get one. How does someone being gay across the country affect you? Fact is it doesn't. If they want to hold hands in the mall or whatever let them its not like we stop the tons of teenagers making out in the mall but why do we flip out if we see the gays holding hands it makes no sense.

I firmly believe that gays/les whatever should be able to get married and have equal rights as a man/woman marriage
Exasperated_Youth

Con

Thanks to my opponent for this debate :)

In order for me to properly answer, you'll have to clarify exactly what you mean by "marriage". I'm going to assume you are referring to the Christian form of marriage, holy matrimony, etc. I choose Christianity not because of any form of discrimination on my part, but merely because I am most familiar with it.

Ironically, the eighth of your points shall be the basis of my argument:

Obviously, I don't agree with the whole statement, and it is presumably (hopefully) intended as a joke. However, the Bible states that any man having sexual relations with another man should be put to death. I would assume that this extends to women doing the same. Many (note, I didn't say most) Christians still take this as God's word, although they generally don't go as far as to kill homosexuals. Faced with a religion that, in theory at least, abhors their sexuality so, why would anybody want a marriage endorsed by this Church? It makes no sense. Why would they even wish to be recognised as a couple by a religion that objects to both their love and their way of life? To use a British example that you may not understand, this would be similar to immigrants wishing to join the BNP.

In answer to your request that I explain why gay marriages are "bad" in the eyes of religion without referencing the Bible: no. The Bible is, in theory, God's word. The Bible is the basis of Christianity, and from it Christians all over the world learn of Christ and the Lord. The Ten Commandments are in there, Jesus' parables are in there, prophecies are in there... In short, it contains almost everything that one needs to be a faithful servant of the Lord. So if this book is against homosexuality, Christianity should be. Generally, this is increasingly untrue. "God's word" is being diluted. Such an outright contradiction as gay marriage should not occur. If we can ignore the parts we don't like, why shouldn't I covet my neighbour's wife? I could use "Thou shalt not kill", but I think there are examples and there are exaggerations.

I think that going against the word of the Bible somewhat takes away from the validity of the religion. You shouldn't pick and choose which parts you like. To be in a homosexual relationship is, by the Bible, to live in sin. Thus, same-sex marriage can even be called blasphemy.

What I think is that civil unions should be given the same benefits, financially and otherwise, as marriages. This would be fair, and it doesn't violate any principles. Perhaps marriage should be done away with altogether, and civil unions instituted for gays, straights, lesbians, and everyone else.

I also think it somewhat poor form that, as your initial statement, you refuted a series of what appear to be jokes.

http://misslink.org...
Nimmiko

Pro

Nimmiko forfeited this round.
Exasperated_Youth

Con

In the interests of fair play, I shan't make any more points until my opponent has a chance to refute my original points. All arguments extended :)
Nimmiko

Pro

Nimmiko forfeited this round.
Exasperated_Youth

Con

All arguments extended again, I guess. Vote CON :)
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
It's easy to find things copied from the web. Put a long phrase like "Real Americans reject unnatural things ..." into Google. In this case there are 5,560 hits. I didn't find the originator. It seems to have originated in 2008.

I don't have a problem with copying arguments from the web, so long as the originator *acknowledges the copying* and then follows through by defending the arguments as if they were his own.

This particular list is mainly strawman arguments. The current debate is mostly, although not entirely, about the word "marriage." George Bush and Barrack Obama agree that equal benefits ought to be given under "civil union" rather than "marriage." California grants equal rights to gay civil unions under the state constitution. The recent Prop 8 controversy was about use of the word "marriage." If marriage is a basic human right, and not a privilege, then there are no grounds for constraining it by age or any other factor, so that is one of the issues involved.
Posted by bluecarnival 6 years ago
bluecarnival
So your icon claims you are only good at sarcasm, but you just copy and pasted a satirical paper littered with sarcasm and pointed out all of the obvious sarcastic remarks.

This is one of the most ironic things I've ever seen.

I've never said this before, and I don't support bandwagons, but:

EPPPPPICCCC FAIIIILLLLLL
Posted by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Lol @ 10 points, what website did you get them off?
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 6 years ago
I-am-a-panda
NimmikoExasperated_YouthTied
Vote Placed by rockiesfan4ever 6 years ago
rockiesfan4ever
NimmikoExasperated_YouthTied
Vote Placed by Hurstman 6 years ago
Hurstman
NimmikoExasperated_YouthTied