sahaam
veggie101

We should ban death penalties around the world.

sahaam

sahaam

Pro

I believe that we should ban death penalties around the world.

My 1st point is that if a man or woman is sentenced a death penalty because she/he killed someone then it would not be fair because another man/woman is killing them due to the death penalty.

My 2nd point is that if someone did a bad crime that's so horrible then they should just get life in prison.The man that raped 3 young girls in america did a horrible thing and now has life in prison which is good,because instead of dying a quick and easy death they get to have a punishment of life in prison.Ending up mental and full of regret.Knowing that what they did was wrong for the rest of their life in prison.

So in conclusion I say that we SHOULD ban death penalties around the world.
veggie101

Con

First off, thank you so much for the opportunity to debate and good luck.

"My 2nd point is that if someone did a bad crime that's so horrible then they should just get life in prison..." It would be easier to just imprison all of these inmates if it did not cost so much to even have them present in the first place. Have you looked at the cost to even have a person incarcerated ? "We spend almost $70 billion annually to place adults in prison and jails, to confine youth in detention centers, and to supervise 7.3 million individuals on probation and parole....Nearly 75 percent of imprisonment spending happens at the state level, where dollars are drawn from a general fund that is meant to pay for a range of public needs, including health care, housing, public assistance, and education."

Take a look at page 10 of "Figure 4: The Taxpayer Costs of State Prisons per Inmate, Fiscal Year 2010" (http://www.vera.org...)

Now I am not saying the solution is to kill off all the prisoners that stayed the longest or anything as such. But notorious criminals that have done horrific acts should be considered to have the death penalty. To much money is being spent on Inmates!

The graph below drawn by the Bureau of Criminal Justice gives a general overview of the murder rate compared to the number of executions that had taken place in the US up to the year 2000:

Each one of us at one point or another has had Nercophobia. If one had the matter of death on the table, the violent act would less likely occur and the crime would have never occurred in the first place!

Globally, America should not be sticking their foot into every foreign affair. It is not our country we have no right to butt into such practices. (America is one that protects the practice of religion anyhow!)

http://prospect.org...
http://www.wesleylowe.com...

sahaam

Pro

Now you said that it costs so much to put someone in prison for life without parole,which is true,but Death Penalties actually cost more than life in prison.http://www.nbcnews.com... you do not wish to look click the link then its just showing that Death Penalties cost way more than life in prison. Also if you click the link, there is a paragraph on the website that says It's 10 times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive," though most Americans believe the opposite, said Donald McCartin, a former California jurist known as "The Hanging Judge of Orange County" for sending nine men to death row.

http://www.forbes.com... Here is another link showing an article on death penalties.In the articles it shows a shocking statement "Every time a killer is sentenced to die, a school closes.

So if we do death penalties it will affect alot of people and even close down schools(like it said in the article.)

Now you said that Each one of us at one point or another has had Nercophobia. If one had the matter of death on the table, the violent act would less likely occur and the crime would have never occurred in the first place!
But due to statistics in America more crimes happen as a result of looking at horrific acts,like genocide,murdering s,and torture.Same example applies when people watch movies with gory and horrific things in them.The images that they see will be stored in there mind and will cause them to make bad choices from what they have seen.Your idea will not be a solution but will make the problem worse.

http://cursor.org...
On this link is a article on Television and Violence.

In conclusion Death Penalties should be ban.
Also Death Penalties cost MORE than life imprisonment.
veggie101

Con

veggie101 forfeited this round.
sahaam

Pro

Because you have forfeited Round 2 I will get on to my conclusion.

In conclusion I believe that we should ban death penalties around the world for reasons I have already said.
There is really nothing else I can say because I believe I have commented on all your points and due to you forfeiting this round there is nothing else to say.

Thank you very much and good luck.I hope you can have your say in round 3.
veggie101

Con

veggie101 forfeited this round.
Posted by Valar_Morghulis 3 years ago
Valar_Morghulis
Please increase the time to argue to 72 hours and I will accept the debate.
Vote Placed by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
sahaamveggie101Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited. Pro turned the cost argument, and deterence wasn't elaborated on enough to outweigh the Con advocacy that comes from the economic arguments that are dropped. (btw, a school closing after every death sentence is BS, but with no response from Con I accept it as fact)