Orion12
VeniVidiVici

We should find the Lost City of Atlantis

VeniVidiVici

Orion12

Pro

Hello, my name is Orion. I have always been interested in the idea of the lost city of Atlantis. It is said to be a highly advanced society destroyed a few thousand years ago. It is said that it has technology that even us now do not have. For the act of science and historical value i urge a debate on whether or not we should fund people to go down into the sea and look for the lost city.

Thank you
VeniVidiVici

Con

I would like to argue why we should NOT fund a expedition to Atlantis.

I'll put it plain and simple here, quick to the point.
It would be a giant waste of time, effort and money (government money most likely!) to go to it's APPARENT location, just to find out it doesn't exist. I'm not saying it doesn't but, we have no solid evidence of its existence.
It was only thought to exist because Plato wrote about it. But nowhere else before or around that time approved of its existence, especially if it did conquer many parts of Western Europe and Africa in the 10th Millennium BC.

As continental drift became more widely accepted during the 1960s, and the increased understanding of plate tectonics demonstrated the impossibility of a lost continent in the geologically recent past, most "Lost Continent" theories of Atlantis began to wane in popularity.
Plus, Plato made up alot of things...

I would like to see your rebuttal.
Orion12

Pro

At one point of time we thought the earth was flat. We had no evidence that it was anything but, but now we do and we know. We never knew about nuclear energy, now we do. We never knew about energy, now we do. How do we know these things? Because we got off our butts and figured it out. So thus, i believe that we should try and find it. How else will we learn?

Thank you :)
VeniVidiVici

Con

Hm. I see your point, but there is still the risk of it not being there.
And also, if it is there, imagine the wars... If it contains technology, America, Russia, China, Germany, Britain, all the worlds superpowers would form teams and... basicly, it could be World War 3 just to gain control of the secrets of technology in Atlantis... The Americans wouldnt give it to the Russians no matter what.

So either way, if it does exist or it doesnt, it should be left alone and money should be put forward funding more important expeditions, like a manned mission to mars, I think we should look to the stars for answers and technology, not the sea.
Orion12

Pro

So basically your saying the problem is America? Well, sadly i would happen to agree with you. We are too self concerned with things like this. But you see, what happens will the Russians get to it before us? world war 3, the only difference is they have the advanced tech, not us. They have the advantage. So then who is going down? us or Russia? I like Russians, I have never met a Russian i didnt like. But if it comes between us (America) and them, i pick us.
Thank you
VeniVidiVici

Con

If the purpose of finding Atlantis is to benefit one (or only a few countries), then it has gone to waste. The possible technology should be used for the world, to bring peace and better living, but it wont be, so that is my final arguement to not go and find Atlantis, even if it DOES exist.

Death and destruction is not good for any country, to fight over a lost city that surely would have looked down upon it.
Vote Placed by NateTheFirst 3 years ago
NateTheFirst
Orion12VeniVidiViciTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's a children's story! Should we go dig a hole in the earth and check if hell exsists to?
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
Orion12VeniVidiViciTied
Reasons for voting decision: Usually, someone who makes a resolution that bold has a really clever argument to give that catches Con off guard. This was not the case.