jcv999
Credence

We should institute "Artificial" Selection for the betterment of the human race.

jcv999

jcv999

Pro

To begin, I would like to elaborate on the topic. I believe that the bottom percentile of the population should be removed from the gene pool for the betterment of the human race. If this occurs, many beneficial results will be achieved. First of all, this will obviously control the population. This will benefit the environment and reduce the general strain that humans are putting on the earth. Removing the bottom percentiles will cause the "better" part of the population to remain. This will speed up the evolutionary process and increase the human race's ability to adapt. This holds massive benefits for the future. As this process occurs over many generations, much more progress will be made in every aspect of society and reduce or eliminate many of the problems that modern society faces. From overpopulation and global warming to crime, problems will become less over time. If society remains how it is now, we have a much higher chance of being wiped out by a disease or enviromental change/disaster. Through this "artificial" selection process, our adaptability to the enviroment and disease will be greatly increased.

Although my ideas may seem extreme, before refuting what I say, really think about the huge benefits that can be achieved over time.
Credence

Con

I think Artificial Selection is not practical. Pro needs to define how the bottom percentile of the population is measured? Is the bottom percentile the poorest 1%? The poorest 10%? The least educated 1%? The least productive members? How can the population even be measured to find these?

Also, how will this control overpopulation? The rest of society will continue to grow. Global warming will obviously continue. Crime will also continue. I don't think people are motivated to break the law for purely biological reasons, but rather circumstance. I agree that disease from genes could be lessened though.
jcv999

Pro

"How will this control overpopulation?"

Overpopulation will be managed because a significant portion of the population will be removed and cease to reproduce.

The bottom percentile would be determined by a collection of these negative characteristics, mostly genetic. It could be anywhere from 1-5% of the population, and if done regularly, this will prevent overpopulation. Of course, a whole new system of recording the population would have to be implemented to suit these purposes, but the benefits will outweigh this cost.

"Global warming will obviously continue."

With the reduced population, there will be less need for many of the contributors to CO2 pollution, thereby reducing the greenhouse effect and global warming.

With this new system of "Artificial" selection, there will also be reduced poverty and a higher standard of living. With reduced population the ratio of people to jobs will decrease, therefore giving more people work and reducing unemployment. When more people have jobs, everyone has more money and the standard of living will increase.

Improving the gene pool will increase humanity's survival in the event of a disaster. As I said before, better genes means more adaptability to the world. The system also allows for choosing the certain genetic mutations that will help ensure survival in the future.
Credence

Con

Credence forfeited this round.
jcv999

Pro

As Con has not made any new arguments, I will add to my previous argument.

Con claims that "Artificial Selection is not practical". If this were true, I would not have brought up the topic in the first place. The entire function of the proposed system is to improve the human race. If this is not practical, then I don't know what is.

This process is already applied to plants to improve the crop output of a piece of land. The same could be done for the human race. Not necessarily improve land use, but improve society as a whole.

I hope con has not given up, as I was looking forward to a lively debate.
Credence

Con

Credence forfeited this round.
Posted by infiniteone 2 years ago
infiniteone
This sounds awfully similar to eugenics. Pro change your name to Eugene and you can be the poster boy for this piggy back theory of yours. How do you hope this to be carried out? Castration, gas chamber, biological weapon? Maybe you can distribute a retrovirus to cause genetic mutations into the cornflakes of the children whose families are welfare dependent - by no fault of their own but by the structural issues inherent in any capitalist society. There always has to be a top and a bottom, poverty is a by-product of capitalism. What about the people at the top of society who inherited their wealth with less the average intelligence in all measures? They have money so therefore should survive over the university drop out who was more than capable, but had to go back home to take care of his dying mother. What about the girl who never believed in herself because of an absent father and had talents she had yet to discover but got pregnant, was pro-life and the father never stuck around automatically putting her at the bottom. The truth is, good and bad genes are up and down, the bottom 1, 5 or 10% is not a melting pot for bad genes, its everywhere and you seem to have inherited some of them also. Good day sir.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Because this is such a stupid idea YOU would one of the first to be weeded out.
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
You jest by calling it 'science fiction'. Its already here. There just aren't any laws yet oppressing the lower percentiles yet.
Posted by FakeAmericansUr 2 years ago
FakeAmericansUr
As science fiction based as this debate is I gta respect its creativity :) GL I can't argue about science fiction. :D
Vote Placed by mdc32 2 years ago
mdc32
jcv999CredenceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
jcv999CredenceTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture