pr.Daniel_Jordan
basils

We should not educate children about bad things when they're young

pr.Daniel_Jordan

Pro

Here is how you inject heroin, now don't you do that.
basils

Con

I am certain no school actually shows you how inject heroin, but it is important for a kid to know heroin isn't good, so if it is offered to them later, they will know not to take it.
pr.Daniel_Jordan

Pro

I grew up without any knowledge of bad things, and I am fine. I have never smoked, never taken drugs, never taken alcohol and will certainly never do these things in the future. When I first learned about these things, I was told in a very clear and short way that it's not good and to stay away. I did. I guess my problem with teaching young children about these things is that it causes a curiousity and the "do not do it" gives them a wish to do it, since they are not developed enough to process information and achieve critical thinking.

basils

Con

The problem is, you are taking yourself as the example not the exception. Look at abstinence only education, states with it tend to have higher STD and teen pregnancy rates. Not learning about things doesn't always work. If a kid is out with friends and someone offers him a bit of alcohol and pressures him, he might go with it because he doesn't know how bad it is, and reject parents ideas as they only said it was bad with no explanation. If someone knows all the side effects, and learns why it is bad, they would be more likely to stay away instead of just going with it because they don't know how bad it is.

I'm not really sure how learning you stick a needle in your arm is going to make someone want to do heroin, or if they learn other side effects of it. Knowing something can kill you and ruin your life along with things like losing your teeth and control of your bowels doesn't make kids want to use it
pr.Daniel_Jordan

Pro

pr.Daniel_Jordan forfeited this round.
basils

Con

basils forfeited this round.
pr.Daniel_Jordan

Pro

pr.Daniel_Jordan forfeited this round.
basils

Con

Might as well also state, they might see there parents use these types of substances(alcohol, weed, even some harder stuff) at a young age and have easy access to them. Therefore it is important to teach them these are not really good things and have negatives.
pr.Daniel_Jordan

Pro

pr.Daniel_Jordan forfeited this round.
basils

Con

well, good luck man
Posted by V5RED 1 year ago
V5RED
Recreational drugs can be quite wonderful if used responsibly. Watching a Tenacious D concert is even better with a little marijuana and some beers.

Also, recreational drugs are responsible for some wonderful music and novels.
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
Unless their parents use it.

I don't know how you can make such a blanket assumption like that either.
Posted by pr.Daniel_Jordan 1 year ago
pr.Daniel_Jordan
No kid less than 10 years is going to encounted heroin, when they reach a certain age of possible encounter, such as high school, that's when they are taught.
Posted by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
How will they know to avoid it then.