Dawson7
mttrandom

We should reduce homework

mttrandom has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Dawson7

Pro

Thank you for joining my debate:D
I think that we should reduce homework because school work should only be at school. When you get home you should be able to rest. There are already eight ours of school, and a lot of people are also in after school activities which could take up to two-four hours after school. When you get home, you will most likely have to do some home-chores before or after your homework too.
Not only does homework take up a lot of time off your day, but it also causes stress on students. I just recently wrote a speech in my debate class and stayed up till around 2am and while I was reading over it I realized that it didn't relate to the topic and had to start over. Thankfully I didn't have to present my speech the next day, but if I did, I would have gotten a bad grade.
My point is- homework takes too much of your time and causes stress.
In an article I read from TeenInk.com I saw someone say "American students should get less homework on a daily basis because too much can cause a great deal of stress, too much time is required to complete it, and it impacts free time and sleep." He also wrote "Homework related anxiety and stress can affect school work negatively."
The link is below
You cannot find anything about this author so this might not be a reliable article, but he does make a lot of good points.
Sorry this is a long argument
http://www.teenink.com...
mttrandom

Con

Hello mate! It's always great to have a debate :D

I think there's no such thing as time issues. I'm a student, currently on high school, so I can debate with some property about it. I know we all have lives out of the school, but when you're studying the school is the center of your life, or at least it should be. It consumes almost all the time you have, your choices about going out with friends, travel and etc need to be made based on it, you can't just travel with your friends when you have a test! It is your priority, not something like learning to play the guitar, something that you can live without, it's an obligation and you need to dedicate a lot of your time to it.
Yes, homework takes a lot of time, it is kinda stressing but it is necessary. Homework is a way to reinforce the subject, in my opinion a better way to know if a student is really getting it. You say too much homework is harmful, an I say that less homework is harmful too. Less homework means less practice in the subject, and if you don't use your knowledge you'll lose it quickly.
About the anxiety, stress and other psychological questions I think it's not on the homework itself. The school is a kinda hostile territory. You need to go there, you need to get the grades under pressure from your teachers, your parents and everyone, it is really frightening. And, considering that the majority of students are teenagers or young adults, they're in a age when your mind is kinda messed up. You're changing, you start thinking about your future, and all those things that every teenager faces. The student's mind is already messed without school, it's just a part of what drive some of them crazy.
Dawson7

Pro

Sorry it took me a while to respond

We have seven hours of school, is that not enough? I know that you won't get everything done during class and might have to finish the rest at home, but it shouldn't take you a couple hours at home to finish it. Teachers should reduce the homework they give to their students.
School should not be the center of your life! Some people would/ should rather want to spend time with their families or practice the religion they believe in, rather then work on homework when they get home from school.

You're right, other things might be affecting their stress besides homework, but you agree that homework does drive some people crazy. Why not then reduce it and get some of the stress off of the students?
Posted by haismreb 1 year ago
haismreb
It may not be the homework causing stress, but the amount of time it takes to complete the homework. I agree that evenings should not be consumed with work to allow for family time.

Also, not all home environments may be suitable for homework. Students may not be capable of completing the practice independently. It may be thought of as extra practice, but what if they don't know how to do it in the first place? "
Posted by 21frykahla 1 year ago
21frykahla
I think we reduce homework or have a study hall. I hardly have time outside of school to do my homework because I do sports. I want to keep my grades up but homework is a big portion of my grade. We should do more in class work so maybe we can actually learn what we are doing without going home confused with homework.